Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cyclists and the law,is anyone else sick of them breaking it

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 WindomEarle

ya but cyclists dont even pay ROAD tax!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of them do, for the car they've left sitting in their driveway. Would you prefer that they made the traffic jam just a little bit worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Do they know how to read a speedometer? What percentage of motorbikers break the speed limit do you reckon?

Pretty low I'd say.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Most of them do, for the car they've left sitting in their driveway. Would you prefer that they made the traffic jam just a little bit worse?

it's only fair, stupid BICYCLES cutting in the QUEUE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

These threads are pretty non-sensical and if anything serves to demonstrate that there's huge problems with adherence to the rules by all groups of road users.

TBH people are better just getting over this fact and not letting it eat them up too much.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    These threads are pretty non-sensical and if anything serves to demonstrate that there's huge problems with adherence to the rules by all groups of road users.

TBH people are better just getting over this fact and not letting it eat them up too much.

agreed, but cyclists seriously need to have a cull of the fuking mentalists like the lads above. Not able to read a single bad word said against pedal bikes without sounding like a cult

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Postmen and women on bicycles are incredible , they will do anything. Straight through red lights up on to the pavement, cut between people and out the other side. See it all the time.
    Douglas Road in Cork last week, just coming down the hill to the village giving my partner a lift to work and the postman drove diagonally across the road into incoming traffic without a second glance.

bladespin wrote: »
    Pretty low I'd say.
    The RSA seem to think different;

"Earlier this month, the Road Safety Authority released a report that showed speed was a contributory factor in 49% of the 93 fatal collisions involving a motorcyclist between 2008 and 2012."
    it's only fair, stupid BICYCLES cutting in the SIZE OF THE QUEUE
    Fixed your post there.

agreed, but cyclists seriously need to have a cull of the fuking mentalists like the lads above. Not able to read a single bad word said against pedal bikes without sounding like a cult

Why do you get so upset when people stand up assertively and point out some facts?

Why do you get so upset when people stand up assertively and point out some facts?

speak for yourself we are all upset on the blessed day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Some cyclists are abysmal, I stop at the lights on my bicycle and they potter by, then I have to overtake them again every time, doesn't really bother me.

It's very rare that I don't meet a motobike/moped in the cycle lane. Doesn't really bother me either.

• Advertisement

speak for yourself we are all upset on the blessed day

That's a bit cryptic - I just asked a simple question. Why the evasiveness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭imnorobot

Loved this piss take from top gear
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI7aKLuHK7k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

jvan wrote: »
    Really, becuase going by the prolific talking, texting, Facebooking and general smart phone use by drivers these days I would imagine car
    users aren't exactly model citizens themselves.

Add cyclist's to that smartphone txting facebooking comment and the Deliveroo guy's with no lights using the phone as a gps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Motorcyclists not adhering to speed limits on motorways is something which irks me somewhat, didn't know there were so many guy martins with crazy eyes around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jawgap wrote: »
    Excellent.....now that motorbikers have mastered red lights maybe they can master staying out of cycle lanes (except when they're actually on a bicycle)?

Nope, unless its a continuous white line we can, and I do, use 'em :)

Although it annoys me when I'm cycling in one and some ass on a moped jumps into it and blocks my passage :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Do you feel that you are endangering people by doing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Do they know how to read a speedometer?

Ah sure yeah,i count the number of knots on the rope that goes by.
    Then I look up at the trees and figure out the wind direction and how fast the clouds are passing over head,then I do some quantam physics.
    Any hey presto,I know what speed I am doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

"Earlier this month, the Road Safety Authority released a report that showed speed was a contributory factor in 49% of the 93 fatal collisions involving a motorcyclist between 2008 and 2012."

Don't know where ut says they were breaking the speed limit there, maybe you're inferring to suit your purpose.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Ah who gives a shïte. There are morons everywhere these days.

It funny as I often have a quick chat with motorcyclists waiting for the green light. Usually find them to be a sound bunch if I'm honest. I also have more time for them than the gaa short wearing kamikazes that I regularly have to cycle past after they fly through red lights, sometimes without even looking.

Anyway if ever there were 2 road user groups who should be banding together against the real danger on the roads (ie cars) it's cyclists and bikers.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Although it annoys me when I'm cycling in one and some ass on a moped jumps into it and blocks my passage :o

In my experience, even those defined by a continuous white line are not immune from being used by some motorcyclists (and quite a lot if you include scooter drivers as 'bikers')

Then there's the bus/cycle lanes - not too many bikers stay out of those? (seen as we're in a 'competition' to establish which class of road user is the least compliant* :))

Yes, I know it's taxi drivers!

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    Do you feel that you are endangering people by doing that?

I hope so, life should be terrifying :P

I hope so, life should be terrifying :P

Terrifying, if from your own choice, fine; if because someone else is being a bully, not fine.
    Dangerous to others, not fine at all.

Terrifying, if from your own choice, fine; if because someone else is being a bully, not fine.
    Dangerous to others, not fine at all.

You forgot to put the saddle on your seat post before cycling this morning, didn't you?.

You forgot to put the saddle on your seat post before cycling this morning, didn't you?.

If you're the moderator, who do I report a post attacking the poster to?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

^ Welcome to the motorbike section of boards :), where banter part of the day today in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It says everything that the only defence cyclists have is "whataboutery".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It says everything that the only defence cyclists have is "whataboutery".
    It says everything about your attitude that you think a defence is necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

...some ass on a moped jumps into it and blocks my passage :o

Nothing worse than having your ass passage blocked. :D

JRant wrote: »
    It funny as I often have a quick chat with motorcyclists waiting for the green light. Usually find them to be a sound bunch if I'm honest.

That's usually the few that actually stop for red lights, rather than the inconsiderate bunch that go through red lights endangering themselves and others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lumen wrote: »
    It says everything about your attitude that you think a defence is necessary.

For people breaking the law? It wouldn't surprise me at all to know that cyclists feel no defence is necessary for them breaking the law.

• Advertisement

If you're the moderator, who do I report a post attacking the poster to?

Oh just click on the little triangle report post button, or dial 999 and ask for the C/Moderator :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement