Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cyclists and the law,is anyone else sick of them breaking it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Paulw wrote: »
    Nothing worse than having your ass passage blocked..

There's a few posters with blocked passages in this thread.

Right well believe it or not I've a day off today and I'm not spoiling it here ~ I'm off out for a cycle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For people breaking the law? It wouldn't surprise me at all to know that cyclists feel no defence is necessary for them breaking the law.
    OK, so now cyclists have to defend people breaking the law?

Or for themselves breaking the law?

Make up your mind.

I don't break red lights when cycling, riding or driving. Why should I be required to defend other people who do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lumen wrote: »
    OK, so now cyclists have to defend people breaking the law?

Or for themselves breaking the law?

Make up your mind.

I don't break red lights when cycling, riding or driving. Why should I be required to defend other people who do?

Is English your second language? Nothing you have written here is supported by the actual words in my posts. There were only 2 of them, why not go and read them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is English your second language?.
    No.
    Nothing you have written here is supported by the actual words in my posts.
    Perhaps the words don't mean only what you think they mean. Have you read the whole thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

There's a few posters with blocked passages in this thread.

Right well believe it or not I've a day off today and I'm not spoiling it here ~ I'm off out for a cycle :D

Watch out for those BMW riders.
    I hear some of them are w^nkers,and are even worse then them Ducati boyos....rofl

20160904_175137-1_zpspmi9scwu.jpg

Good day for a cycle,have a good one.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Anyone mention the rickshaws yet? Might aswell get it all out in the air.

Just home, have I missed anything?.

Hey mister, wanna ride?.

398861.jpg

Good day for a cycle,have a good one.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

TallGlass wrote: »
    Anyone mention the rickshaws yet? Might aswell get it all out in the air.

Here you go:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Paulw wrote: »
    Nothing worse than having your ass passage blocked. :D

That's usually the few that actually stop for red lights, rather than the inconsiderate bunch that go through red lights endangering themselves and others.

Yeah, they're an annoying bunch alright. I mean the extra 60 seconds waiting at the lights is hardly the end of the world but some folk just can't even spare that amount of time it seems.

To be honest though I just mind my own business and the cycle is all the better for it. No point in worrying what other people do at all. It's just best to assume everyone around you is going to do something stupid and act accordingly.

Still though it's somewhat worrying to read that people don't do a quick lifesaver every time they manoeuvre out. Doesn't matter if you're on foot, cycling, biking or driving it is the number one thing we should all be doing. Such a simple thing can save you an awful lot of bother.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

These threads always make me angry; they really highlight peoples' idiocy, from almost all sides of the arguments.

Arguing for one type of road user versus another, etc., and sobbing that X breaks this law, while Y breaks that law, so therefore Z is best, is like two religions arguing on who is right.

You're both wrong. And you're both dumb. If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people. Same rationale applies here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭prunudo

JRant wrote: »

Still though it's somewhat worrying to read that people don't do a quick lifesaver every time they manoeuvre out. Doesn't matter if you're on foot, cycling, biking or driving it is the number one thing we should all be doing. Such a simple thing can save you an awful lot of bother.

When I was doing the artic test, after completing the route and back in the office the tester asked why I was checking over my shoulder. Told him it was habit from the bike and was good practise from driving vans/trucks over the years to be checking my blindspot when changing lane etc. He seemed oblivious to the idea!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Just home, have I missed anything?.

Lovely photo there my friend,great day for it too.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 WindomEarle

bladespin wrote: »
    Don't know where ut says they were breaking the speed limit there, maybe you're inferring to suit your purpose.
    Nitpick much? You reckon the RSA were seriously concerned about inappropriate speeds under the speed limit as a major factor in fatalities?

Watch out for those BMW riders.
    I hear some of them are w^nkers,and are even worse then them Ducati boyos....rofl

Is it against the law to block up the pavement like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Parked on a double yellow too, bloody bikers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

When I ride a motorbike or drive a car I don't get lumbered with responsibility for what other people do on their motorbikes or in their cars. Can someone please explain why that changes when I cycle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes, they certainly should be, plenty of roads with ridiculous limits posted, rider getting caught out on a poorly surfaced road with a sharp corner would be a very typical fatal scenario.

Very easy for speed to be a significant contributing factor without being over the limit.

It's also worth pointing out that as a statistic (while thoughtprovoking) accident stats have nothing to do with rider behaviour, they only reclect the behaviour of those invllved in the accidents not riders in general.

Also worth pointing out that that particular statistic is itself skewed from the normal or mean as it covers all fatal accidents involving motorcycles and not just motorcyclists.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Bladespin,as a matter of interest are road racing deaths counted by the rsa?

jvan wrote:
    Bladespin,as a matter of interest are road racing deaths counted by the rsa?

Good question, I wondered this myself before, I'm not sure but know 2 of those accidents involved riders on a racetrack (not racing), technically road accidents though speed limits were lifted at the time.

Good question, I wondered this myself before, I'm not sure but know 2 of those accidents involved riders on a racetrack (not racing), technically road accidents though speed limits were lifted at the time.

And stolen and field bikes probably included too no doubt.

• Advertisement

Yes, within the past year there have been at least 2 fatalities on stolen motorcycles, technically riding a bike but not your 'typical' motorcyclist, a good indicator was the number without a motorcycle licence, something a 'real' rider cherishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

When I ride a motorbike or drive a car I don't get lumbered with responsibility for what other people do on their motorbikes or in their cars. Can someone please explain why that changes when I cycle?

Because you don't pay road tax, silly!!

Road tax is the toll you pay to leave imposed collective responsibility behind ;)

It's also worth pointing out that as a statistic (while thoughtprovoking) accident stats have nothing to do with rider behaviour, they only reclect the behaviour of those invllved in the accidents not riders in general.
    Interesting - does the same apply to cyclists breaking red lights then?

Interesting - does the same apply to cyclists breaking red lights then?

Oh yes, as per my original post, they don't bother me at all, you might review before going on high horse.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Because you don't pay road tax, silly!!

Road tax is the toll you pay to leave imposed collective responsibility behind ;)

Oh Gaaawd I love this part, Jawgap I don't get to correct you often (let me bask in the glory :p ).

'Motor' tax, no one pays 'Road Tax' :D

[excuse me while I touch myself now].

As a cyclist and a biker I feel I'm running with the fox and hunting with the hounds in this thread :D

As a cyclist and a biker I feel I'm running with the fox and hunting with the hounds in this thread

Once you're not on my tail I'm happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

decided to see what it's like on the other side today so I fuked down the road as fast as I could go through a red light, great craic. must try it on a push bike next time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

decided to see what it's like on the other side today so I fuked down the road as fast as I could go through a red light, great craic. must try it on a push bike next time!

Sounds like a plan, you can use the cycling and bus lanes legally as well when on a push bike. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan, you can use the cycling and bus lanes legally as well when on a push bike. :pac:

no helmet either, cycley bikes are fooking class

• Advertisement

Oh yes, as per my original post, they don't bother me at all, you might review before going on high horse.

I guess the OP has a different view, given his rant about the damned cyclists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement