Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cyclists and the law,is anyone else sick of them breaking it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I guess the OP has a different view, given his rant about the damned cyclists.

weird the way us motorcyclists seem to think for ourselves.. look a few of us even disagreed with each other...!!!!!!!!

you can come for a spin but you'll have to buy the 99s because you've wrecked all of our poor heads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Maybe but it wasn't mine, that said, ovbiously there are those on both sides who's heads are up their arse, ranting, twisting stats, generalising etc.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Jesus this thread is still active?

Can we close it now, particularly due to the confrontational title which I'm sure is doing wonders for the psyche of road users that encounter cyclists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Nitpick much? You reckon the RSA were seriously concerned about inappropriate speeds under the speed limit as a major factor in fatalities?

Is it against the law to block up the pavement like that?

Ah it must be a struggle for anyone to get by on that 15 foot wide stretch of pavement at Portmarnock.:pac:

2 of the gardai's finest walking past actually complimented me on the bike and talked about it being a nice day and nice scenic location for a photograph.:D

mrcheez wrote: »
    Jesus this thread is still active?

Can we close it now, particularly due to the confrontational title which I'm sure is doing wonders for the psyche of road users that encounter cyclists?

Pot calling the kettle black there my friend.

So wheres this video of you allmost getting rammed off the road by a biker and car??:pac:

• Advertisement

Pot calling the kettle black there my friend.

So wheres this video of you allmost getting rammed off the road by a biker and car??:pac:

Attacking the poster again? OK post reported.

mrcheez wrote:

I'm sure he'll retract as soon as we can see the video.

I simply asked you a question,where did you get being attacked from?

So Im just asking you where this video footage is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

:D;):p:):rolleyes::o:mad::(:eek::cool::P:confused::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Again I find these threads puzzling, but cyclist threads seem to be á la mode currently. The altruism of the OP in beeping at the red light breakers is to be admired - I'm assuming this extends to all the other offences witnessed that day as well? As an aside, what legal right does the OP have to beep at other road users? Maybe one for another thread.

As has been pointed out, all classes of road users break the rules regularly - it's beyond a joke at this stage. So yes cyclists break red lights (a pet hate of mine), motorbikes continue to use the hard shoulder to travel / undertake and also use the mandatory bike lanes in the city centre which exposes cyclists and other road users to additional risk. Additionally, cars will speed up on ambers and it's not unusual for 2, 3 or 4 plus cars to stream through a red, depending on the situation - parkgate street and the lights at Christchurch seem to lend themselves to this. Cars and other vehicles also regularly block yellow boxes, park on double yellows, in bike lanes, on paths - all illegal and d!ckish but witnessed daily.

So if we had some sort of road utopia where cyclists were the ones that stood out against a sea of perfect road users in other vehicles, this thread may have some validity. Other than seeking the reassurance of the regular forum users, I'm not sure what purpose this thread really serves.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure it was a wind up that went epic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

bladespin wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was a wind up that went epic spastic :D

Fixed that for you :pac:

Fixed that for you :pac:

Wonder what he will make of this then?:pac:

Its not just the gardai who like me bike,its the British police too.:D

0a556db9-7041-4467-836b-4fa60a15027e_zps656zm5ml.jpg

Oh and no cyclists were harmed and no cars were forced to swerve sharply to the right either,in the taking of this photo.:pac::D

19 pages in, sure we can drag this out for another few ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Getting a lot of reports on this lads, i'll be locking it soon as its going in circles...

Reminds me of another site, we'd put up threads lke this for a cull, used to roll around as they bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I hope so, life should be terrifying :P

Speaking of terrifying, what is the deal with councils up and down the country putting those lovely shiny slippery metal manhole covers on the road? It's almost as if they want people on 2 wheels to fall on them or something.

I've only ever seen 1 of them that had a grip surface applied to them.

How on earth are they allowed get away with it?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

JRant wrote: »
    Speaking of terrifying, what is the deal with councils up and down the country putting those lovely shiny slippery metal manhole covers on the road? It's almost as if they want people on 2 wheels to fall on them or something.

I've only ever seen 1 of them that had a grip surface applied to them.

How on earth are they allowed get away with it?

There's a particularly nice one where you swing around from Nicholas Street into Christ Church Square on your way to Dame Street, followed by a galloping trail of snarling traffic.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Again I find these threads puzzling, but cyclist threads seem to be á la mode currently.

Agreed. The title should read "Road users and the law...".

People focus on the title, then enter the thread to vent their rage at one particular group of road users. Then get into their cars and still feeling the anger narrowly pass a group of cyclists in a punishment pass.

I'd even go so far as to say these threads are dangerous and should be banned from the outset.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 WindomEarle

Ah it must be a struggle for anyone to get by on that 15 foot wide stretch of pavement at Portmarnock.:pac:

2 of the gardai's finest walking past actually complimented me on the bike and talked about it being a nice day and nice scenic location for a photograph.:D

I'll take that as a yes, then - that it is illegal to take over half the pavement like that, but most posters here wear blinkers so they only see illegal cyclists, and not the illegal actions of motorcyclists and motorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'll take that as a yes, then - that it is illegal to take over half the pavement like that, but most posters here wear blinkers so they only see illegal cyclists, and not the illegal actions of motorcyclists and motorists.

It's not illegal to park a motorbike on a footpath as long as it's not blocking it or the wheelchair/pushchair ramps.
    In fact, motorbikes have been fined for parking in car park spaces so the footpath, beside a lamppost is often the only place to legally park.

A sane society would have offstreet parking for all vehicles, and not allow storage of any vehicle on roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Like most people they will commit crimes until they are punished for it.
    And cyclists know that its unlikely they will be punished. If there are no police to see it then they are free. Cameras at intersections dont help because there are no reg plates. And even if police see them they usually dont do anything or they just give them a warning.

Saw a cop stop a cyclist a few weeks ago. The cyclist had filtered through a bunch of traffic and went straight through the junction on a red.
    Had a motorcyclist done that then it would obviously be a ticket and points. Cyclist just got a "dont do that again".

I dont see why it should be so hard to require cyclists to put plates on their bikes. If you want to use your bike on a public road then it must be registered and identifiable by cameras and people and if under 18 parents are responsible for the childrens fines.
    There are constant stories of cyclist leaving the scene of the accident because they know there is no way they can be traced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Chuchote wrote: »
    A sane society would have offstreet parking for all vehicles, and not allow storage of any vehicle on roads.

Yeah, lets bulldoze all urban areas and start again. That would be very sane.

Like most people they will commit crimes until they are punished for it.

In fact, most people don't commit crimes.
    I dont see why it should be so hard to require cyclists to put plates on their bikes.

If you're willing to pay the wages and pensions of hiring 100+ civil servants to administer this, and to have the gardaí diverted to inspecting these registration plates, and court time diverted from crime and taken up with this, fine.

However, the group of cyclists most likely to commit misdemeanours are on Dublin Bikes; these are already registered to the user and tracked, so it would be perfectly possible to prosecute them.

Registration plates for bicycles have been discarded in every country that has tried them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I'm a city walker runner cyclist motorcyclist and sometimes motorist...

I think the biggest issue people have with cyclists breaking the law (eg red light running, cycling on the path, cycling the wrong way up a one way..etc) is the arrogance that lots of cyclists undertake these activities with..
    Yes when cycling I sometime break a red light or when motorbiking use a bus lane or when walking cross wherever I wish...but I undertake these activities knowing I'm in the wrong and accepting that if another road user has a problem with me doing this that I'm in the wrong...and acknowledge this fact...not shout abuse at them.
    Too many, mainly cyclists, think that they can do whatever they wish and that other road users can f*ck off...two fingers and abuse given to pedestrians who object to having to jump out of their way on footpaths or abuse shouted at car drivers who beep at their red light running...
    We all 'relax the rules' at time but please do it safely with consideration for all others...and yes I knwo pedestrians and motorists also abuse other road users when actually in the wrong but to be fair cyclists seem to have an 'attitude' towards being in the wro ng...not all of course but lots...

Please do tell me how does my BMW S1000rr Superbike parked in tight against a wall take over half of a 15 footwide pathway out at Portmarnock??

Because my maths must not be as good as yours.

2 of the gardai's finest were more than nice to me about my bike,where it was parked and the fact that i was taking photos of it with a lovely scenic background.

Got out of my car this morning and helped a chap up off the ground this morning.

Came off his pushbike on slippery wet leaves down at Griffith Avenue in rush hour traffic this morning.
    No damage to his bike but he had cut his knee and hand in the fall.
    Offered to bring him up to Beaumont Hospital or call an ambulance,but he said he was fine. Just a bit shaken from the fall. 1st aid kit out of my boot and gave him some dressing and plasters.
    He said thanks and cycled off slow and gingerly.
    Hope he is ok.

Watch out for those falling wet leaves folks. Slippery as hell.

• Advertisement

Zipppy wrote: »
    Too many, mainly cyclists, think that they can do whatever they wish and that other road users can f*ck off...

YMMV… I see drivers whipping through red lights just after they change every day. I was in a friend's car and she did this - I wailed "Why? Why?" and she muttered, "These lights take ages!" I'd timed them. It's a five-way crossroads, and the full cycle of lights takes 2.5 minutes. Is someone's life worth waiting 2.5 minutes for?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement