Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question

• 19-10-2016 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Hoping someone can give an answer to something quickly? I've just started looking into vaping to help me stop smoking.

I currently smoke 20 a day and since the last budget that's going to be roughly €350 a month.

How much on average would you guys spend a month? I know it's a bit of a subjective question but any guidance would be appreciated.

Like is it 100 / 200 / 300 etc??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

You could get a nice start up kit and some juice to keep you going over a week for €100 or so, then it's down to what juices you buy, and how much you get through per day. It's very possible to keep running on around €20-30 p.w if you seek out some decent cheap juice or venture into DIY later on. If you had more a liking for high end fancy label juices you could easily spend 50+ p.w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Thank you.

That's what I'm looking for. So you could definitely do it for far cheaper.

I have to admit that I'm a bit of a gadget freak so I can see this getting dangerous!

Also would have no problem with diy and experimenting.

Going off to read up more and hoping to get started in the next week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Once off purchase for a tank (holds the liquid) and mod (the battery), around 100, top end of the budget for a starter kit. I spend around 25 a week for a 60ml bottle of liquid, but you can get 120ml bottles for the same price or cheaper online.

Now coils for your tank are really hard to estimate, so many different types but one can last anywhere from 3 days to a week possibly more depending on usage and liquid type.

It can be confusing and intimidating at first but a quick search here will bring up old threads and give you an idea of products to start with, or feel free to ask lots of questions yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I'd always recommend someone starting off to get one of the kanger mini protanks,the coils are cheap and last ages,also regarding liquid something bland flavoured like wicked sapphire,makes the transition easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭j26m

I've spent some time and money finding what I like, but now that I'm set up, my ongoing costs are about 5-6 quid a week - I mix my own juice, and buy replacement coils, and that's it.

It does involve investing a lump sum in diy supplies, but it is cheaper than my weekly coffee bill!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

i have three devices and vaping equipment totalling an outlay of €190 that i have been using for the last four months. 20 year smoker off cigs for two years now.

i save cash sometimes buying vegetable glycerine at the pharmacy then mixing it with 20-30 mil bottles of ejuice (often 50/50) i get at the shops in a 3-1 ratio. i prefer more subtle flavours so it works well for me. so total outlay for four months is less than €300 so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

My ejuices are only costing me 10-15 a month since I started making them myself. Probably 300ml a month. I'd say I've spend the guts of 500 euro on all my mods and juices in the last 2 years. Used to smoke 20-30 a day

So many people think you're mad for spending a 100 quid on a good mod and tank but have no issues spending 11 on a pack of smokes. Madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

chipfox wrote:
    So many people think you're mad for spending a 100 quid on a good mod and tank but have no issues spending 11 on a pack of smokes. Madness

Oh my god exactly! I spent 70 quid on smokes in one weekend, binge drinking don't ask, and nobody batted an eye but spend 60 on a mod and everyone thinks you're insane!
    It's an investment, every bit worth the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

I have about 40 box mods & 20 tubular mods now & all are used daily,a few died last week,8 years of vaping has cost me around €6000,shinyitis did take a big part of it,I did smoke 40 fags a day for nearly 50years with no binge drinking,you can double that when your out enjoying yourself:D:D
    So I have saved a small fortune in 8 years & better health.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭nobodys_hero

SK1979 wrote: »
    Hey guys

I currently smoke 20 a day and since the last budget that's going to be roughly €350 a month.

How much on average would you guys spend a month? I know it's a bit of a subjective question but any guidance would be appreciated.

Like is it 100 / 200 / 300 etc??

Cheers

I started vaping about 4 1/2 months ago and stopped smoking completely 3 1/2 month ago. My OH made the mistake of saying to me it's not about saving money it's about your health, which I seem to have taken as permission to spend whatever I like on vape gear.

I have 3 mods (2 with inbuilt tanks), 2 tanks, a charger, enough nicotine to last me a year, VG, PG and flavourings to start making my own juice. I've got a coil building kit. I've tried just about any premium juice that's taken my fancy and I have my eye on a dripper, another tank and yet another mod. I still haven't gone over €200 in any month which is at least €150 less than you're going to be spending. After next month my costs are going to go down to under €100 a month. I went a bit mad on it. I think I'll end up on about €50 to €60 / month although it would be possible to go even lower.

However, it turns out my OH was right. I feel so much better than before. I don't get out of breath, my circulation has improved and I genuinely don't want a cigarette any more at all. I can taste and smell (has plusses and negatives). I wish I'd started ages ago, but I'm happy that I've started now. You can't put a price on the possibility of living a bit longer, and the quality of that living being better.

I've just been through a really stressful week and I vaped a bit harder but never once wanted a smoke - remember I'm not long stopped. It took a few months to really feel like that but it's amazing. I smoked 20-25 rollies a day and i smoked for 27 years. Now I'm still a nicotine addict, but I'm very definitely not a smoker.

So go for it SK1979. Forget the money (well, maybe not completely), because you'll be saving a lot in the long run. Do it for your health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

I was 20 a day too, I've just got into diy juices.
    I just spent 125bucks over at cloudhouse vapour for a liter of pg/vg nic and flavours, A litre will last me 6 months maybe, No need to spend too long on the maths.

If you go with store bought liquid expect to pay about 20 bucks a week.

Advertisement