Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BHSAI courses

Options
  • 19-10-2016 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask if anyone has completed the BHSAI course at Grennan College? I am a Leaving Cert student looking to pursue a career with horses and I was told this course was a good one. I just wanted to hear other opinions of people who have completed it, as I only know a couple.
    I was also wondering about the FAS/Solas BHSAI course; is it still running? I found it hard to pull up information online about it, and the only person I know who completed it finished it nearly ten years ago, so not sure if anything has changed.

Any useful information anyone can tell me/link me to would be massively appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Unfortunately I can't help you with your query or give any advice. However, give Grennan a call and see if they offer the course. It's often quicker than trying to find information online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

http://www.bhs.org.uk/education/training-courses/find-training-courses/results?area=Ireland

link above gives a list of where the exams are held so they are definitely training centres.
    Greannan is the only dedicated training centre. The rest are commercial riding centres with course available. If there are work/training schemes available they will know.
    There are other places that take students .Claremorris eq. Centre for example do and some private yards would to.

Op where are you based. I might be able to point you towards someone who could advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Baby_Bear

The Fas/solas course is still running. You will need to find an AIRE training centre and apply for the course through your specific centre. Most centres advertise the positions before the intake date if they have spaces available. As with everything some centres are excellent some are average and some are really bad so you will have to choose wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EQR

You have a couple of options if you want to study for BHS exams.
    a) join a college course such as Grennan where you can study this full time
    b) work and train as a working student in an AIRE approved yard to gain your qualifications on the job (you are paid by FAs and also your exams are paid for).
    c) You can train privately by paying for lessons either in a group or one to one.

AIRE run information days sometimes, its worth liking them on facebook and you can always contact them by phone for information too.
    Just make sure if you are going to a yard as a student that you check with AIRE first that the yard is registered with them, I sadly have seen friends end up in an unapproved yard getting no training before.
    If you are looking at colleges and college courses, factor in accommodation. many will provide this onsite though

Advertisement