Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making yoghurt

Options
  • 19-10-2016 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Hi , i tried making home made yoghurt from drania allen cookbook. Tasted good but due to lack of heat it was only slightly thick, more like cultured milk. My question is , what do yoghurt makers usefor heat???. Dont really want to go down the road of a bulky expensive maker. Hot press may not be warm enough. Was thinking of heat mats .........
    Im open to suggestions or tips
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Haven't tried it myself yet, but a lot of recipes recommend using a thermos vacuum flask to keep the heat stable for a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭denismc

I have made thick yogurt by leaving the pot wrapped in a towel in a hot press overnight.
    You will need to give it at least 8 hours to allow ther culture to grow.
    Thing is, most people have the heating on this time of year so the hot press will always be warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

denismc wrote: »
    I have made thick yogurt by leaving the pot wrapped in a towel in a hot press overnight.
    You will need to give it at least 8 hours to allow ther culture to grow.
    Thing is, most people have the heating on this time of year so the hot press will always be warm.
    Thanks will give this a go. Did youbuy starter cultures or just use a live yoghurt one??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭denismc

I just use natural yoghurt with live cultures.

Advertisement