Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memoir about rich man who grew up poor?

• 19-10-2016 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Hi

For research purposes, I am looking for a memoir written by someone who grew up poor and became rich - preferably through business or industry.

Does anyone know of such a book?

Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/618288.It_s_a_Long_Way_from_Penny_Apples

Wouldn't fancy it myself, I can't stand yer man - but it sounds like it'd fit your bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/618288.It_s_a_Long_Way_from_Penny_Apples

Wouldn't fancy it myself, I can't stand yer man - but it sounds like it'd fit your bill.

Bill Cullen! Thanks, I should have thought of him. Tom Dunne used to do a great "Dr. Bill" on Today FM, that's what I think with him.

That will help. Anyone got any non Irish suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The Scottish person on Dragon's Den, Duncan Bannatyne, could be a good option. He's written a few books. Here's his Wikipedia page:
    Bannatyne spent his twenties moving from one job to another. Upon his return to Clydebank he trained as an agricultural vehicle fitter and then travelled around the country repairing tractors. He lived on the island of Jersey for four years from 1974 where he gained an HGV licence and earned a living through several jobs including deckchair attendant, ice cream seller and hospital porter. He also surfed, partied and met his first wife on the island. With Jersey's difficult business climate for outsiders, at age 29 Bannatyne and his wife moved to Stockton-on-Tees in North East England. He has stated that he was poor and did not have a bank account until the age of 30.

His business career began almost immediately after his move to Stockton-on-Tees with an ice cream van purchased for £450. He soon expanded by buying more vans during the period of the Glasgow Ice Cream Wars about which he made comment in a newspaper interview "I got by using the CB radio. It was mainly bluster, but someone did get hospitalised." He eventually sold the business for £28,000, founding a nursing home business called Quality Care Homes which he then sold for £26 million in 1997 and children's nursery chain Just Learning for £12 million.

Advertisement