Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air Tightness - Attic Space

• 19-10-2016 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

All
    In the middle of a self build and now realising the size of the attic means it would be a shame not to include a permanent stairs up and slab out to form 2 additional rooms

Questions re air tightness detail

What would the detail at first floor ceiling level / timber to wall intersection?
    I presume I would no longer fit the membrane at this level?

In the attic - I assume I would fit a membrane to the rafters and slab over them?
    Walls in the attic - Sand/Cement and skim?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

This is quite tricky now I would think. If your only deciding now to convert the attic during your build, few main things would be,

1). Can the joists take the loading of this upstairs attic conversion. Extra support may be required, structurally this would need to be checked
    2). Planning permission may have to be considered
    3). Fire proofing of attic conversion needs to be considered and stair installation to meet fire regs, fire escape from attic etc.
    4). Airtightness membrane needs to be continuous from wall plate up along the rafters back to the other side.
    5). Yes sand and cement plaster required to blockwork but it will very awkward and tricky to ensure that the spaces of blockwork between the joists get properly sealed airtight.
    6). Insulation and ventilated gap and plasterboard required onto Rafters now and service void for cables etc. Hrv ducts, pipes if required for plumbing

There's quite a lot to think about here to get it all right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Wegian wrote: »
    All
    In the middle of a self build and now realising the size of the attic means it would be a shame not to include a permanent stairs up and slab out to form 2 additional rooms

Questions re air tightness detail

What would the detail at first floor ceiling level / timber to wall intersection?
    I presume I would no longer fit the membrane at this level?

In the attic - I assume I would fit a membrane to the rafters and slab over them?
    Walls in the attic - Sand/Cement and skim?

+1 to delfagios response.

Regarding the detail itself, you'd need to bring your airtight membrane/tapes from the below the ceiling line, up through your joists and then up along your rafters. You need to seal around every joist as you go. If some joists are doubled up, you need to trace back along the length of the joist and also seal these.
    I've done this on my own build and there's a lot of work and a lot of tape involved.

Advertisement