Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of control Leilandii

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

In February I cut down 10 trees closest to the house
    how many do you reckon there are in total?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Just fell them, and then decide what to do with the timber and branches afterwards. Its a good time of year for it.

You are too caught up with the idea of chipping everything and stump removal. Those result in a very tidy finish, but they are optional extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

couple of years ago parents had to clear one of those. chopped the branches and then the trunk. Re the roots: the stump was cut down to ground level and a few holes drilled into it (perhaps a few inches). We then poured diesel into the holes every few days (dont know how long this went on for), and kept the stump covered in black plastic. dont know if the diesel is an old wives tale but it seems to have done the job. Roots probably wont rot for a few years. And keep an eye out for little offshoots trying to pop up around your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

couple of years ago parents had to clear one of those. chopped the branches and then the trunk. Re the roots: the stump was cut down to ground level and a few holes drilled into it (perhaps a few inches). We then poured diesel into the holes every few days (dont know how long this went on for), and kept the stump covered in black plastic. dont know if the diesel is an old wives tale but it seems to have done the job. Roots probably wont rot for a few years. And keep an eye out for little offshoots trying to pop up around your garden.
    Given the availability of low-toxicity roundup/glyphosphate for killing stumps (or simply just leaving them to rot naturally), I don't really see the value in using high-toxicity diesel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't see the value with bothering with any weedkiller, or diesel. leylandii don't grow back from stumps so you needlessly used a poisonous carcinogen in the garden. which probably slowed down the rotting process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

In feburary, I cut and dropped about 30, 50 foot plus leylandii.
    left them till abut 2 weeks ago I hireed a 7inch chipper...same issue, kept clogging, so I removed the chute altogether and let it fly.

Later I put some wavin pipe fittings over it and made it a lot better.

I now have small heaps of chippings and timber ready to cut, which I will take my time with.
    After that is chopped and stored, i'll be getting a himac in for a day to pull the roots.

Torture, and it will drive you insane, but just do it little by little and forget about the mess for the moment

Advertisement