Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Care in terminal illness

• 20-10-2016 7:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Possibly not my place to start, mods please feel free to delete if you see fit.
    I know I voted for the forum from the point of view of a carer and hoping to help where I could on that front.
    So I suggest a general chat thread for those caring for those with terminal illnesses, obviously open to all. I think it would be positive for all and give insights for both sides. I know for myself chatting to other carers would have been a great support.
    Not intended to take away from those with terminal illnesses, and might be a good place to chat about your own carers and what does/doesn't work for you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,014 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hi Wuffly. Thank you for taking an interest in the forum, and your suggestion. The whole area of caring, and being cared for as a terminally ill person is very important to all involved. However I am a bit doubtful about making it a single 'catch all' thread. Partly because a 'carers' thread' could imply a 'them and us' situation.

There is a forum Carers and Caring for all general aspects of caring.

Terminal Illness caring can be about the carer and/or the cared for; it can be about either party being in denial, or not; about either party's emotional responses; about the level of care needed and also the ability of the carer to provide that care (where there is an elderly couple, for example). I feel that any of these discussions would be better served in different threads.

I do realise there can be a bit of reluctance to start a new thread about a specific topic, it can feel easier to just add to an existing thread. This is understandable. I am going to leave this thread open for a while and see what comes of it, but I will change the title slightly to make it more inclusive. If anyone has any views on this post, or care in terminal illness situations, please feel free to offer them.

OP if you wish to respond here, or start a new thread with particular thoughts please do, and thank you again for your suggestion, this is an area where so many people would be helped by shared thoughts, please do not hesitate to contribute, anonymously if you prefer, about your own situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Hi looksee, all really good points!
    Totally agree its probably better if people start their own threads, i think I was just trying to get the ball rolling a little bit and thought it might be a good thread for chat between carers and people being cared for. I didn't know there was a carers forum, sorry. I do think there is a place for this thread or at least this topic in terminal Illness.
    I had thought my experience is in the past so i would leave off starting a thread with my story and just drop in where i felt i could help, but i think i will try gather my thoughts and start a thread and see if anyone is in the same boat as i was and needs supports.

Thats a great idea. I am in much the same situation and had wondered the same thing. Go for it though.

I agree that there are aspects to caring for someone terminally ill, and being cared for, that do not really apply to other caring and I think we can cover them here.

Advertisement