Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

letting advise!

Options
  • 20-10-2016 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hi all just looking for some advise! We rent out our house through a local estate agents office who do both rentals and properties for sale. Anyway we only let it for the first time last year and the estate agent found us a tenant and drew up the lease! Anyway I asked my husband to call the estate agents about a new lease as the year is up and we haven't heard anything? So my husband rang them and they said we don't need a new lease as the lease lasts for up to four years? I pulled out our copy of the lease and it says on the front this is a one year fixed term lease! Im just looking for some advise before i ring the estate agents back does this sound right to anyone? Or has anyone any experience with this. I'm just worried we are leaving ourselves in a vulnerable situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The lease is for a fixed period, in this case 1 year. The tenancy is governed by law and goes in 4 year cycles which are acquired by the tenant after 6 months. This is called a Part 4 tenancy and doesn't need another lease to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

The Residential Tenancies Board have all the information you need and FAQ sections for landlords if you want to get an overview yourself.

I'd also ask the letting agent to bring you through the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

I had a feeling it may be something to do with part 4 but didn't fully understand it. As regards part 4 tenancy, forgive my ignorance but does that protect us if the tenant wants to vacate the property early or that is there anything as a landlord that I should be concerned about?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

otwb1 wrote: »
    The Residential Tenancies Board have all the information you need and FAQ sections for landlords if you want to get an overview yourself.

I'd also ask the letting agent to bring you through the details.

Thanks for that! Do I need to re register the tenant with the PRTB each year or does the part 4 tenancy cover that also?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Jen44 wrote: »
    Thanks for that! Do I need to re register the tenant with the PRTB each year or does the part 4 tenancy cover that also?

Registration lasts for 4 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement