Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locking the wattage on temp-control

• 20-10-2016 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

What are the advantages of doing this? If im vaping at 450 degrees the wattage reads 100w - but if I'm vaping in wattage I never go over 40w.....confused..!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

kingaaa wrote: »
    What are the advantages of doing this? If im vaping at 450 degrees the wattage reads 100w - but if I'm vaping in wattage I never go over 40w.....confused..!!!

There is a big difference between the two,power mode at 100w is pushing the full 100w to the coil...
    TC at 450F & power at a 100w,the 100w is a fast ramp up time to achieve the 450F quickly,so the coils will not burn out because the TC is set at 450F,some mods can be adjusted to your own ramp up speed & some don't.The TC has more control than watts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Yeah I look at wattage in TC modes as ramp up power also. As in TC mode the wattage you're at generally don't matter, it's all about the temperature. Use higher watts for slower coils like Claptons or Aliens or whatever, and 40w or so for your standard SS wire. That's what i do at least, though I'm mostly in Power mode. Just prefer it in general.

I run all my TC mods at 50w if I have the choice,the best vape I get for taste & clouds is Titanium or SS wire or even stock coils are not too bad,Ti is hardly mentioned in the reviews.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

I can't go any higher than 15w using ss316l or I wreck the cotton. I think I'm doing something wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

I can't go any higher than 15w using ss316l or I wreck the cotton. I think I'm doing something wrong.

Indeed , I'm using TC in all my mods and 316L in all my tanks and I have them all set to 30W and I feel thats being a bit conservative . All my coils are coming out between .5 & .6 .

• Advertisement

I only ever use SS wire - atm it's 317L 25g equiv, and I'm always in around 0.3 - 0.4 45 - 60w in power mode. In TC I set to 45w when the mod allows. Sometimes a little higher, never had any burning or dry hits. Not sure why I prefer Power mode more, it's just more consistent, weirdly. As that was the point of TC, to make your vape more consistent. It's cool to be able to swing between both though, SS wire FTW

Just a side note for anyone using 317L, you want to set a custom TC value of 0.00088, most mods are default set to 00092, which is for 316 wire. Other than that, the vape experience is the same.

I only ever use SS wire - atm it's 317L 25g equiv, and I'm always in around 0.3 - 0.4 45 - 60w in power mode. In TC I set to 45w when the mod allows. Sometimes a little higher, never had any burning or dry hits. Not sure why I prefer Power mode more, it's just more consistent, weirdly. As that was the point of TC, to make your vape more consistent. It's cool to be able to swing between both though, SS wire FTW

I agree, its great to be able to switch back to power mode when TC is acting up!

What ohms have you got...

What ohms have you got...

1.0 ohm micro coil, about 10 wraps. Thought I should keep the ohms high because I'm back on 12mg juice.

1.0 ohm micro coil, about 10 wraps. Thought I should keep the ohms high because I'm back on 12mg juice.

If your using ss as a micro coil,it sounds like the coil has a hot spot or a hot leg or the post screw is not tight enough & sometimes a 1.0ohm coil is too high for higher wattages,1.0ohm is a fine line between sub & norm,to reach 30 or 40w,you really need your coils to read at least .6 or .7ohms,your 1.0ohm coil is probably ok for 15w unless it has the problems I have listed above.I don't know what RTA/RDA your using,would you have room to do a spaced ss coil with a couple of less wraps,around .7 & upwards is good for 12mg running it at 25w.
    Difficult to diagnose the probs when it's not in front of me,I do find that spaced ss coils do not need to be set-up for hot spots or legs.
    Hope some of this helps you...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I agree, its great to be able to switch back to power mode when TC is acting up!

on many devices you can switch to power mode regardless of the coil.i often run my nickel and stainless tc coils on wattage mode when out of standards coils using high vg stuff(like 80-85%). you want to be familiar with your devices so to avoid burning as nickel can combine with other elements to make nasty alloys.

You 'can' but it's not recommended to use anything but kanthal or SS in power mode. I wouldn't touch Ni coils to start with, but I certainly would never run them in power mode. SS is the only wire that is safe in both modes.

If your using ss as a micro coil,it sounds like the coil has a hot spot or a hot leg or the post screw is not tight enough & sometimes a 1.0ohm coil is too high for higher wattages,1.0ohm is a fine line between sub & norm,to reach 30 or 40w,you really need your coils to read at least .6 or .7ohms,your 1.0ohm coil is probably ok for 15w unless it has the problems I have listed above.I don't know what RTA/RDA your using,would you have room to do a spaced ss coil with a couple of less wraps,around .7 & upwards is good for 12mg running it at 25w.
    Difficult to diagnose the probs when it's not in front of me,I do find that spaced ss coils do not need to be set-up for hot spots or legs.
    Hope some of this helps you...

Cheers for the advice. I made a spaced coil at .71 ohms. It's working perfect now and I'm not getting temp protection all the time. I'm using a subtank mini and evic vtc mini with latest firmware.

Cheers for the advice. I made a spaced coil at .71 ohms. It's working perfect now and I'm not getting temp protection all the time. I'm using a subtank mini and evic vtc mini with latest firmware.

Good to hear you got it sorted,great set-up there,I love the Subtank mini RBA,the old one,never tried the new RBA for it but they say the wicking is 10 times better,I always use the scottish roll method in most SS coil build tanks,whether that improves the wicking or not,because I have never had a dry hit using either method.
    I've been using Subtanks since they first arrived in Ireland & never had to change the glass or the O-rings.
    VTC mini is a tough mod & works brilliantly & the silicon sleeves are a great fit from Bestshop because I find the mini very slippery.

Good to hear you got it sorted,great set-up there,I love the Subtank mini RBA,the old one,never tried the new RBA for it but they say the wicking is 10 times better,I always use the scottish roll method in most SS coil build tanks,whether that improves the wicking or not,because I have never had a dry hit using either method.
    I've been using Subtanks since they first arrived in Ireland & never had to change the glass or the O-rings.
    VTC mini is a tough mod & works brilliantly & the silicon sleeves are a great fit from Bestshop because I find the mini very slippery.

After half a tank it's really really good I'm delighted with it now. I started out with the subtank about 2 years ago and got rid of it, I bought another in the summer and all my other tanks are gathering dust since then. There are better tanks out there for flavour but it's a great all rounder, never leaks, easy to build on and the new RBA is great you should get one for yourself!

Advertisement