Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caution: PV Panels and electromechanic ESB meter

• 20-10-2016 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I want to share /advise everyone thinking in getting PV panels installed ,one of the main priority should be to replace the ESB meter if you have one of the older tpyes with the rotating disk !!!

Mine,doubled the consumption with the generation.Got a bill for more than €250 !
    The wheel was rotating backwards,ESB techie said is illegal but peculliar !
    Cannot blame or fault anyone,my error !

I had it replaced with a standard electronic type,without the generation functionality,as I hope to have it installed next year,when FiT may be introduced. That cost me €340 today,the replacement old - new was free of charge .

Enjoy it !

399615.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There was a suggestion in other posts that if you got the old style analog meter to run backwards(during generation) that it would reduce your bill. How did it reversing cause your bill to go up?

And to clarify.... the new meter you show above was free... yes?
    To get an import/export meter will cost you €340... correct?

If you know you are going to use a FiT (whenever that comes in) and you were getting the meter replaced why didnt you just get the import/export meter now and be done with it? I know its €340 but you will have to pay it anyway... one less thing to organise when FiT does comes in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

KCross wrote: »
    There was a suggestion in other posts that if you got the old style analog meter to run backwards(during generation) that it would reduce your bill. How did it reversing cause your bill to go up?

I have a video recording on my phone that shows the wheel spinning backward.Consumption is double compared with last September AND with the panels i was expecting to be less.

And to clarify.... the new meter you show above was free... yes?

Yes,i called my energy supplier,they logged a call with ESB that called out and replaced the meter.

To get an import/export meter will cost you €340... correct?

Today,is €340,please see my other posts for a scanned copy of the orginal ESB letter.

If you know you are going to use a FiT (whenever that comes in) and you were getting the meter replaced why didnt you just get the import/export meter now and be done with it? I know its €340 but you will have to pay it anyway... one less thing to organise when FiT does comes in?

Why pay €340 today if i get no value !? I'm saving €400 to buy a iBuddy solar diverter for my electric immersion !
    When FIT will be announced,i will do it AND not lastly,what if they separate "new" installations VERSUS older customer / installations with diferent preferential tarrifs !? :)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

rolion wrote: »
    I have a video recording on my phone that shows the wheel spinning backward.Consumption is double compared with last September AND with the panels i was expecting to be less.

I'm fascinated by this. If the wheel was spinning backwards it should logically follow that the numbers were also rolling back, that is the reading would go from for example 008000 to 007999 and so on. How could this possibly lead to an increase in the bill? Was your meter read or was it an estimated bill? Any chance you could upload the video you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I'm fascinated by this. If the wheel was spinning backwards it should logically follow that the numbers were also rolling back, that is the reading would go from for example 008000 to 007999 and so on. How could this possibly lead to an increase in the bill? Was your meter read or was it an estimated bill? Any chance you could upload the video you have?

Hi,

ESB techie said is peculliar and ... illegal.
    I can upload it in private only ! :)

Anyway,it's history,lesson learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Depends on how it works, if it's a magpie reader or reed switch or similar on the disc then the direction is irrelevant as it'll just trigger an increment when it passes

I'd also say it's by design as if you could get the counts to decrease it'd be easy to fit a switch that allows you to swap the incoming cables with outgoing and thus manipulate your bill

• Advertisement

The analogue ones with the odometers deduct units.
    Afaik cables are bi-directional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

I have heard of other people who are discreetly allowing their meters to run backwards. I think I would have put an OWL monitoring unit in for a day or two to compare readings. I wonder if something else is consuming power. Or if you have changed from estimated readings to an actual one?

I forget your system size, but a 2kw system could be expected to produce a total of 1800 units per year. Assuming worst case you use 1/4 of that, this is an average of 112 units per month, so if you were pushing that the wrong direction through your meter, the most it could cost is an extra €20 for the month.

Are you sure you weren't switching from Estimate readings to Read ones? Unless you have a 10kw system on your roof, it can't have doubled your bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Tow

The analogue ones with the odometers deduct units.
    Afaik cables are bi-directional.

This is what I believe too. Units will be deducted or with some models just stay the same. A bill for €250 would not be exceptional in my house, without a proper log of readings it does not tell much.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

..and some models add units with reverse current.
    Easy check; just turn off all the loads while the sun is out on the panel and observe if the meter is adding or subtracting. Waiting for a bill is not the most scientific way.

Advertisement