Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best European Sportive?

Options
  • 20-10-2016 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Looking into training up for a sportive in Europe next year. Want something hilly, and not interested in cobbles. The ones that I have been looking at so far are:

• Etape du Tour
    • Gran Fondo Stelvio
    • La Marmotte
    Anyone any opinions on these three, or suggestions on another sportive that they have done that is well organised with a good route? My big worry with the Etape is that there will be too many people and i'll be stuck in traffic for most of the day. With La Marmotte I have heard that the heat is a serious issue, so have been leaning towards GF Stelvio as it's that little bit earlier in the week.

Would be really interested to get some info from people that have done these sort of events before. Which was your favourite and why? Was the race well organised, with good availablility of (relatively) cheap accomodation nearby?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I did Stelvio in 2015. One of the best (and worst) days on the bike ever!

We looked at the routes and decided the Long course would be handy... to the amusement of everyone we met at registration. Of the 6 of us who went over 2 finished. I took the medium route at the split, the other 5 went on to do the long route, 1 finished (he made the Stelvio climb cut off by seconds). The Mortirolo was brutal by all accounts.

Stelvio was hot that year, chilly in the morning about 8deg when we started in arm warmers, think it was very high 30s as I started the climb up Stelvio. 6ft snow banks at the top though! We ended up staying in Valdisotto as the closest we could get, accom books up fast.

The first 40km are wedged as it's all downhill, class feeling freewheeling at 60+ in a pack of thousands! The first climb is very congested but after that everyone fragments out and rest of cycle is less packed. The Stelvio climb in itself isn't too difficult, just long, and done at the end on tired legs. (Also need to factor in you need to get back to Bormio after finishing so an additional 20km downhill)

I found the pre cycle organisation great, the food stops well stocked and atmosphere fantastic. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭paudie2005

Looking into training up for a sportive in Europe next year. Want something hilly, and not interested in cobbles. The ones that I have been looking at so far are:

• Etape du Tour
    • Gran Fondo Stelvio
    • La Marmotte
    Anyone any opinions on these three, or suggestions on another sportive that they have done that is well organised with a good route? My big worry with the Etape is that there will be too many people and i'll be stuck in traffic for most of the day. With La Marmotte I have heard that the heat is a serious issue, so have been leaning towards GF Stelvio as it's that little bit earlier in the week.

Would be really interested to get some info from people that have done these sort of events before. Which was your favourite and why? Was the race well organised, with good availablility of (relatively) cheap accomodation nearby?

Thanks!

Liege baston liege is worth a look. Very well organized, good standard of cycling, good route and good quality accommodation available at a decent prices in Liege. No issues with massive crowds and it's pretty cheap to enter. We stayed in liege and were able to see the start of the pro race on the Sunday and then got the train to watch them take on the climbs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The weather is what kills Liege Baston. It's almost invariably cold and wet. Not what you want to travel to from Ireland.

I did both Stelvio and the Marmotte in 2015. Both epic. The Marmotte is much harder. Stelvio was 6+ hours or more whereas the Marmotte was 9+ hours. That's a big frickin difference.

The route they took up the Mortirolo would put me off doing it again, it's mountain bike gearing steep and narrow on the last section - a poured concrete surface. I don't think it's suitable personally for a sportive involving thousands of people.

But basically. Any trip involving a bicycle on a european hilly road will be worthwhile and memorable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Check out the Grand trophee events.. lots to choose from.

The heat can be an issue on any Sportive in summer!

http://www.grandtrophee.fr/_epreuve.php

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭paudie2005

fat bloke wrote: »
    The weather is what kills Liege Baston. It's almost invariably cold and wet. Not what you want to travel to from Ireland.

I did both Stelvio and the Marmotte in 2015. Both epic. The Marmotte is much harder. Stelvio was 6+ hours or more whereas the Marmotte was 9+ hours. That's a big frickin difference.

The route they took up the Mortirolo would put me off doing it again, it's mountain bike gearing steep and narrow on the last section - a poured concrete surface. I don't think it's suitable personally for a sportive involving thousands of people.

But basically. Any trip involving a bicycle on a european hilly road will be worthwhile and memorable. :)

Wasn't ideal conditions this year right enough but doing it in less than ideal conditions makes it all the more satisfying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Don't forget the local Giro grand fondo NI, last year of it coming up in 2017 unfortunately... is this the only fully closed road event in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Did this last year

http://www.pendragonsports.com/

Its like three Sean Kelly 160's back to back. The standard of cycling at it is really high, its timed and most of the riders regard it as a race. Its in driving range also.

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Don't forget the local Giro grand fondo NI, last year of it coming up in 2017 unfortunately... is this the only fully closed road event in Ireland?

Better do it quick while it's still in Europe....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

www.granfondoroma.com
    For anyone looking for something different.
    Brilliantly run. Amazing Atmosphere. A Tough enough. Day on the bike.
    Ideal weekend away for the other halves and the Short Route is ideal for anyone who just wants to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Sinbad_NI wrote: »

Why is it the last year of it? (Sorry if it's a stupid question, I presumed they'd keep running it every year)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Another option at the end of August usually is the Alpenbrevet in Switzerland, it goes over some epic climbs and the platinum course is arugably the toughest sportive out there with over 7000m of climbing

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

paudie2005 wrote: »
    Liege baston liege is worth a look. Very well organized, good standard of cycling, good route and good quality accommodation available at a decent prices in Liege. No issues with massive crowds and it's pretty cheap to enter. We stayed in liege and were able to see the start of the pro race on the Sunday and then got the train to watch them take on the climbs

Could be worth a look alright, though the weather is obviously its biggest negative. Plus you don't get the satisfaction of the fantastic views that you would get from some of the Alp climbs. Was it a pretty miserable day when you did it, or did you enjoy the cycle and countryside as you were doing it?

Never heard of Alpenbrevet, will have to look into that one.

The Pendragon sports one definitely would not be for me. Wouldn't be able to keep up in a race situation. Plus multi-day makes logistics more challenging I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

marvin80 wrote:
    Why is it the last year of it? (Sorry if it's a stupid question, I presumed they'd keep running it every year)

Only scheduled to run for 3 years.
    Do they not move the event on to another location after that I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

posted one hour ago. they must have seen this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDL5a1MzkWo

not too many in europe though...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

How about the Tour du Mont Blanx. 330km, 8000metres if climbing.

They call it a race, but don't a lot of European sportives get called that?

http://www.sportcommunication.info/TMB/index.php?lang=EN

Weepsie wrote: »

A lot of them actually are races, but only for the tiny minority towards the front. The Stelvio for example had a first prize of a fairly swanky ultra light Trek on 2015, and I dunno if there was a cash price too, but obviously those lads in contention probably dont stop for idle chat and a muffin at the food stops... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

La Purito- http://www.lapurito.com/en/2016/la-purito-61/routes run by Joaquim Rodrigeuz.
    It's basically stage 11 of the 2015 Vuelta, supposedly the toughest ever GT stage. 4 Cat 1 climbs and an ESP. 145km with 5000m.

Or the Fred Whitton http://www.fredwhittonchallenge.co.uk/the-route a bit closer to home.

I've done neither of them, but wouldn't mind giving them a shot

Weepsie wrote: »

Wow. That looks like one hell of a challenge!! You done it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Maratona dles Dolomites.
    I don't think anything can beat it. Route is very tough (4000+ m of climbing), scenery is simply stunning, the goodie bag is unreal. Its at a time of year where the weather is almost guaranteed to be perfect.
    And its supported by the locals to the point where the finish is like being in a grand tour stage.
    Cant be beat imho.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    La Purito- http://www.lapurito.com/en/2016/la-purito-61/routes run by Joaquim Rodrigeuz.
    It's basically stage 11 of the 2015 Vuelta, supposedly the toughest ever GT stage. 4 Cat 1 climbs and an ESP. 145km with 5000m.

Or the Fred Whitton http://www.fredwhittonchallenge.co.uk/the-route a bit closer to home.

I've done neither of them, but wouldn't mind giving them a shot

La Purito's one sounds really good. Plus i would really love to visit Andorra!

• Advertisement

terrydel wrote: »
    Maratona dles Dolomites.
    I don't think anything can beat it. Route is very tough (4000+ m of climbing), scenery is simply stunning, the goodie bag is unreal. Its at a time of year where the weather is almost guaranteed to be perfect.
    And its supported by the locals to the point where the finish is like being in a grand tour stage.
    Cant be beat imho.

Class. Found this on their website

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uhcpQU7YVs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Class. Found this on their website

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uhcpQU7YVs

The Queen stage of this year's Giro was basically the maratona, with a 70km roll in.
    It takes in 7 climbs (Campolongo is done twice, the giro just did it once). The toughest is the second-last, Passo Giau, 10k at an average of nearly 10%.
    Its all either downhill or uphill, almost no flat spots on the 138km route.
    I did it in 2015, didn't get a spot this year and praying I get one for 2017.
    For the goodie bag alone its worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I know I read somewhere during the year about a Italian Event that is so over subscribed that the locals now run 2 alternatives before and after. One goes the opposite direction.
    No entry fee and no official feedstops but you buy your supplies in the villages. This way they benifit and everyone gets to ride.

I think it was the Maratona but I could well be wrong

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wow. That looks like one hell of a challenge!! You done it?

Jaysus no. I struggled up stepaside hill and lovers leap lane last year and cursed everything around. This is way out of my depth. I'm unfortunately very stop start. Going to aim for the Gran Fondo up North next year.

Threads like these really make me wish I lived in mainland Europe. Would be so frickin cool to be able to throw the bike in the boot for these events and drive to the Italian/French/Swiss alps or down to the pyrenees or whatever. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Living in Switzerland is heaven for it, however it is now nearly time to put the bike away and to get my skis serviced instead:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Not sportives but they have traffic-free days for some of the climbs in France.
    Unfortunately never did any of them but great idea.

This article is from 2015 but gives you an idea of it:

http://road.cc/content/news/157349-ride-some-frances-iconic-hill-climbs-traffic-free-roads-free-summer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Could be worth a look alright, though the weather is obviously its biggest negative. Plus you don't get the satisfaction of the fantastic views that you would get from some of the Alp climbs. Was it a pretty miserable day when you did it, or did you enjoy the cycle and countryside as you were doing it?....
    I did LBL in 2015 and the weather wasn't great. It rained for most of the way but wasn't overly cold - pretty much like a wet spring ride in Ireland. There isn't any great scenery but it gave a great sense of achievement to get through it. I had been a bit over-daunted by the whole thing in the lead up and it ended up being easier than expected.

That said, it's a tough day in the saddle with the severest gradients in the second half. No long climbs but some brutal stuff including one ramp which made me cry inside when I turned the hairpin and saw what lay ahead. There are 5 foodstops so its broken up nicely.

Utter chaos at the start with thousands of cyclists rampaging through the dark wet cobbled streets of Liege and mini pumps, bottles, Garmins and every other item falling off many bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Registration for Mallorca 312 opened today. Three options 312km, 225km and 167km.

I've been to Mallorca cycling a couple of times and it's fantastic. It's on the end of April so weather should be nice but not too hot for us Irish lads.

• Advertisement

Registration for Mallorca 312 opened today. Three options 312km, 225km and 167km.

That's a mad event imo. I'd much much rather do 4 x 100+km cycles in Majorca over four days, which you could easily do very cheaply in march/April

Advertisement