Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best European Sportive?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

What about the mallorca 312? Or the velothons run by ironman? One in wales and Berlin. Hoping to do all three. Two booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

fat bloke wrote: »
    That's a mad event imo. I'd much much rather do 4 x 100+km cycles in Majorca over four days, which you could easily do very cheaply in march/April

You could always opt for the 167 as the most challenging climbing is on that route anyway, really well organised event.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

Registration for the Etape du Tour opened today. You can still get in now but I presume it'll fill up very soon.

One thing I will say about european sportives is how much of a logical difficulty there are. I'm used to marathons around Europe when you simply fly into a major city, pick up your bib and check into your hotel and its job done. With sportives its lugging your bike then going to a location quite far from the airport you fly into. It's quite costly too, very hard to do in 2-3 days with the travel involved.

That said there's no doubting that these sportives take place in some of the most picturesque parts of Europe. It's just worth bearing everything in mind when planning a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

golfer555 wrote: »
    Registration for the Etape du Tour opened today. You can still get in now but I presume it'll fill up very soon.

One thing I will say about european sportives is how much of a logical difficulty there are. I'm used to marathons around Europe when you simply fly into a major city, pick up your bib and check into your hotel and its job done. With sportives its lugging your bike then going to a location quite far from the airport you fly into. It's quite costly too, very hard to do in 2-3 days with the travel involved.

That said there's no doubting that these sportives take place in some of the most picturesque parts of Europe. It's just worth bearing everything in mind when planning a trip.

Presume you just dont bring your bike? Hiring has got to work out way cheaper, no? Plus youre not worrying about changing your cassette out.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mayo self-build

A big shout out for the Alpenbrevet. I did the Gold Route this year, and its the most amazing scenery. Wife came along for the few days and loved the area. I've also done Marmotte, but I found the Alpenbrevet tougher. The heat this year was mid-30s which added to the difficulty (for me anyway).
    Have also done the Fred Whitton. Stunning in a different sort of way - the Lake District is really beautiful. Year I did it the weather was poor - cold and windy. Its a properly tough event though, with some steep climbs. I don't think I'll ever forget the climb up Kardknott Pass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Charlie69

You could always opt for the 167 as the most challenging climbing is on that route anyway, really well organised event.
    I was going to do the Mallorca 312 this year but was disappointed to see they had changed the route which used to circumnavigate the Island, to the current route which as you say has most of it's climbing and in the first half of it.

I ended up doing the Marmotte Pyrenees instead and would recomend it to anyone. 160 km with almost 6000 mtrs of climbing ... epic day on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Charlie69 wrote: »
    I was going to do the Mallorca 312 this year but was disappointed to see they had changed the route which used to circumnavigate the Island, to the current route which as you say has most of it's climbing and in the first half of it.

I ended up doing the Marmotte Pyrenees instead and would recomend it to anyone. 160 km with almost 6000 mtrs of climbing ... epic day on the bike.

Well done on Marmotte, sounds like a proper day on bike.

The current 312 course looks way better to me than the old route; Palma dominates the southern coast and getting through it wouldn't add much to event. The section from Palms SE towards Cala Pi hasn't much to recommend it.

I had planned a lap of Mallorca this year, but my memory of the section SE of Palma caused me beforehand to shorten the lap the cut out that section.

Mallorca best cycling is in the mountains and the minor roads(cami) on the very quite interior. Not easy to do 312 with 5000m sub 14hrs as your more or less straight into mountains from start with limited benefit from group riding.

If you like small events and quite roads the smaller less well known events are a good benefit and easier regards accommodation, bike hire etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Charlie69

ford2600 wrote: »
    Well done on Marmotte, sounds like a proper day on bike.

The current 312 course looks way better to me than the old route; Palma dominates the southern coast and getting through it wouldn't add much to event. The section from Palms SE towards Cala Pi hasn't much to recommend it.

I had planned a lap of Mallorca this year, but my memory of the section SE of Palma caused me beforehand to shorten the lap the cut out that section.

Mallorca best cycling is in the mountains and the minor roads(cami) on the very quite interior. Not easy to do 312 with 5000m sub 14hrs as your more or less straight into mountains from start with limited benefit from group riding.

If you like small events and quite roads the smaller less well known events are a good benefit and easier regards accommodation, bike hire etc

Don't get me wrong I'm sure the new route is tough but I just liked the idea of doing a lap of the Island. I've spent a week cycling in Mallorca last year and loved it.

I think if I was doing a European sportive though I'd prefer to do one that incorporates a few of the classic climbs from the Grand Tours. Each to their own I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Presume you just dont bring your bike? Hiring has got to work out way cheaper, no? Plus youre not worrying about changing your cassette out.

It isnt much cheaper Id imagine.
    Hiring often means renting a car, but thats quite cheap unless you have to have some stupid suv posing machine.
    Then you dont have bus/train transfer costs. The pain is simply lugging the bike round and having to build it back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Another thumbs up for the Maratona Dles Dolomites. The build up, the event itself and post party is something else. The small towns of Alta Badia and Corvara are taken over by cyclists and it really is a big celebration of cycling.

I done it in 2015, it was clear blue skies all day and very hot. The course really is spectacular with 7 consecutive big climbs, Passo Giau been the toughest with 10km @ 10%.

I think it was around 100 to enter but when you consider the goodie bag and the event itself on closed roads I'd pay far more than 100.

Logistics are difficult, I got a ryanair flight to Bergamo then a bus to Alta Badia. I'll enter the lottery again this although Mallorca 312 is attractive also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

http://www.sellarondabikeday.com/en/news.html
    Link to the day the close the roads and you ride for free in the Dolomites. June and September.

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Another thumbs up for the Maratona Dles Dolomites. The build up, the event itself and post party is something else. The small towns of Alta Badia and Corvara are taken over by cyclists and it really is a big celebration of cycling.

I done it in 2015, it was clear blue skies all day and very hot. The course really is spectacular with 7 consecutive big climbs, Passo Giau been the toughest with 10km @ 10%.

I think it was around 100 to enter but when you consider the goodie bag and the event itself on closed roads I'd pay far more than 100.

Logistics are difficult, I got a ryanair flight to Bergamo then a bus to Alta Badia. I'll enter the lottery again this although Mallorca 312 is attractive also.

At the end you get a tenner back or a nice baseball cap! And a really nice medal.
    I did it 2015 also, hit 40 degrees Celsius at times, my main concern was not the hills but sunburn on my pasty Irish skin!
    Corvara is stunning, the view up at the town sign is one of the most spectacular I've ever seen.
    Its absolutely worth the 100 quid, in fact its a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

terrydel wrote: »
    At the end you get a tenner back or a nice baseball cap! And a really nice medal.
    I did it 2015 also, hit 40 degrees Celsius at times, my main concern was not the hills but sunburn on my pasty Irish skin!
    Corvara is stunning, the view up at the town sign is one of the most spectacular I've ever seen.
    Its absolutely worth the 100 quid, in fact its a bargain.

The medal was class, almost as impressive as an olympic medal! The jersey and gillet is still my favorite piece of kit. Fingers crossed I get a ticket for next years event.

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    The medal was class, almost as impressive as an olympic medal! The jersey and gillet is still my favorite piece of kit. Fingers crossed I get a ticket for next years event.

I lost my gillet, still gutted over theat.
    I bought one on the all4cycling.com official maratona site, but its much lighter and more a rain gillet than the lovely warm one that came with the goodie bag.
    Its as close as the likes of us will ever get to an Olympic medal :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

Has anyone tried the L'eroica sportives ? I'd like to give the one in Italy a go in Oct. 2017.
    Looks like an interesting event !

http://eroica.cc/

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Been looking at the La Marmotte website, and it looks like they are only selling race entries in bundles (Marmotte Alpes + MArmotte Pyrenees) for the first 7 days. Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

AmboMan wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the L'eroica sportives ? I'd like to give the one in Italy a go in Oct. 2017.
    Looks like an interesting event !

http://eroica.cc/

I fancied this and was looking at doing it this year, as there were still a few tickets left in July/ August, but couldn't figure out the logistics in time.

I'm still thinking of doing it in 2017.

The question is do I try and buy a compliant bike and go to the bother of shipping it, or just rent something. It seems that the cost of bike rental is pretty steep (I'd seen €200 for the day)...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Londonirish72

I have done the Etape a couple of times. It is a great event but never again.
    Both years were hot. Really hot. The type of heat you never experience in Ireland so despite all the training it is a really difficult event when you are not accustomed to the weather. Also, the logistics are a pain in the @rse. You will waste a day getting there and another half day registering. Accommodation often gets booked up and we ended up getting up at 4.15am one year to drive over Glandon to the start. We then had to drive back after. We were staying in an airless static caravan which was the only place we could find when we looked (though better places were available closer to the big day but we had already paid up front).
    If you have the time to spend sometime out there beforehand then you can make a proper holiday of it and also catch the Tour as it comes through the following week but if you only have a standard wage-slave holiday allocation then this will not be an option.
    I would really like to do all of the Etape climbs again but on my own terms. I would go down there in May or September and do incorporate perhaps two climbs into a long cycle and repeat that for every day I was down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

fat bloke wrote: »
    The weather is what kills Liege Baston. It's almost invariably cold and wet. Not what you want to travel to from Ireland.

I did both Stelvio and the Marmotte in 2015. Both epic. The Marmotte is much harder. Stelvio was 6+ hours or more whereas the Marmotte was 9+ hours. That's a big frickin difference.

The route they took up the Mortirolo would put me off doing it again, it's mountain bike gearing steep and narrow on the last section - a poured concrete surface. I don't think it's suitable personally for a sportive involving thousands of people.

But basically. Any trip involving a bicycle on a european hilly road will be worthwhile and memorable. :)

You're right about LBL-I did it last year and it rained all day. I did manage a photo with Eddy Merckx before the start though, so that was nice... Another thing I remember about that trip was that we stayed in Maastricht. I have to say, all things considered, Liege is a bit of a sh*thole, but Maastricht is a fabulous place to stay. The other thing is that they have their own event which i think happens either the week before or after LBL-the Amstel Gold sportive. This is just as hilly as LBL but takes place almost entirely within the Dutch province of Limburg, where all the Dutch hills are. And, I remember last year, the weather was fantastic for it. The only prob with Amstel Gold is that it is super popular, so the only way to get an entry now is probably with a tour company.
    I've also done Etape du tour. Great event, but with so many people, I was constantly getting caught in traffic jams on the climbs. Still, if you're not in a hurry, great event and you can hang about to watch the pros a few days later.

If you want to do something a bit different and less 'popular', I did this one a few years back and its great.

http://www.granfondoepica.it/ The site is in Italian but has a fairly crude google translate to English option near top left.
    It is in Piacenza, I found out about it thru a friend from Liverpool who has lived in Italy for a long time. We are mates thru a mutual fondness for Everton FC and he persuaded myself and my brother to come over for it.
    Its 90km or so, over a lot of dirt roads, dried up riverbeds etc, and not overly hilly, but its good fun and a big deal to the town that hosts it (cant recall the name). We were practically the only foreigners, so got introduced to the Mayor afterwards, and given gifts of Italian sausage (no jokes please :P)
    The food and drink afterwards was excellent. I did it on a rented old colnago, too big for me, and up til about 20 mins before the start it was a single speed! My mate had rented it and not noticed the gear cables weren't wired up, I collected it when I met him of the train the day before and never even looked! Only noticed the morning of the event!
    It gets a good crowd of al sorts, top end carbon bikes, restored old classics, even people on Dublin bike style stuff! Its proper old-school Italian cycle for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

terrydel wrote: »
    If you want to do something a bit different and less 'popular', I did this one a few years back and its great.

Its 90km or so, over a lot of dirt roads, dried up riverbeds etc, and not overly hilly, but its good fun and a big deal to the town that hosts it (cant recall the name). We were practically the only foreigners, so got introduced to the Mayor afterwards, and given gifts
    The food and drink afterwards was excellent.
    It gets a good crowd of al sorts, top end carbon bikes, restored old classics, even people on Dublin bike style stuff! Its proper old-school Italian cycle for me.
    I was just thinking that the best sportive in Europe would be something no one had ever heard of before. A little gem like this is probably one of the best

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭BH2008

Both years were hot. Really hot. The type of heat you never experience in Ireland so despite all the training it is a really difficult event when you are not accustomed to the weather. Also, the logistics are a pain in the @rse. You will waste a day getting there and another half day registering. Accommodation often gets booked up and we ended up getting up at 4.15am one year to drive over Glandon to the start. We then had to drive back after. We were staying in an airless static caravan which was the only place we could find when we looked (though better places were available closer to the big day but we had already paid up front).
    If you have the time to spend sometime out there beforehand then you can make a proper holiday of it and also catch the Tour as it comes through the following week but if you only have a standard wage-slave holiday allocation then this will not be an option.
    I would really like to do all of the Etape climbs again but on my own terms. I would go down there in May or September and do incorporate perhaps two climbs into a long cycle and repeat that for every day I was down there.

Totally agree with London Irish, did the etape last year and found the heat on the Joux Plane totally unbearable....I was sweating way more than I could ever drink, it's incredible how one climb can utterly change an experience. I also wasn't massively keen on descending with hundreds of cyclists around, I've no particular fear of descending but had a niggling fear of some lunatic have a go hero cleaning me out of it from behind....once them thoughts get in your head they're hard to get out! Overall though I loved the experience of cycling in the alps and defo would be on for doing the major climbs with a smaller group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

http://www.dalzero.it/calendario-gran-fondo-2016/
    As the Lads say above maybe a hidden gem is best. Link to the Italian GF calender.
    First few are 2017. Scroll down for the full list.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

I did one Etape and loved it and now try to do one European Sportive each year. The Marmotte is brutal but you get to ride some of the most famous climbs in the Alps, the Galibier in particular is scary. Last two years I have done the Maratona du Dolomites, brilliant event with a choice of distances, you can even change your mind on the way round. Heat can be a problem however as one year I had 37C on the Passo Giau. Going again this year as it just works well as an event and the Dolomites are beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Registration for Mallorca 312 opened today. Three options 312km, 225km and 167km.

I've been to Mallorca cycling a couple of times and it's fantastic. It's on the end of April so weather should be nice but not too hot for us Irish lads.

Done it last year great event closed roads great routes super atmosphere brilliant food stops everything you could ask for apart from the weather pissed down for half the day ��That a side have registered for next year great cycling over there

Been looking at the La Marmotte website, and it looks like they are only selling race entries in bundles (Marmotte Alpes + MArmotte Pyrenees) for the first 7 days. Is this normal?

I thought registration only started on November 9th or 10th?

golfer555 wrote: »
    I thought registration only started on November 9th or 10th?

I've spotted this n the website, your certainly correct.

From November 7 to 14, registrations are open only for bundles:

Marmotte Alpes + Marmotte Pyrénées
    Marmotte Alpes + Marmotte Pyrénées + 3 Ballons
    Trophée de l'Oisans
    Grand Trophée
    Grand Trophée + Marmotte Alpes
    Grand Trophée + Marmotte Pyrénées
    Grand Trophée + Marmotte Alpes + Marmotte Pyrénées

Then, from November 14, registrations will be open for all cycling events.

That's a pain, I doubt much will be left on the 14th, might have to buy a bundle which is a pain as it's just the 1 event I want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I was looking at doing this last year, but work intervened..

http://www.cyclotour.ch/course/180-km-tour-of-the-lake/?lang=en

There was a few with more climbing and I sadly missed out on all before I left.

This site is good for searching.
    http://www.granfondoguide.com/Events/GranFondo/Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Second the Etape, best day out I have ever had on the bike (in hindsight!) but the heat was a killer, climbing in 36 degrees to the ski station at La Toussuire after 3500m odd of climbing is no joke. Would love to get back and base myself around Chambery / Albertville and take on some of the classics on my own terms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement