Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold extension - where to start?

• 20-10-2016 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi,

Have an rear extension which was built around 10 years ago (the extension is around 20 sqm and the room which adjoins is around 10 sqm so in total the entire 'room' is 30sqm). Floor was insulated under the concrete screed and the cavity wall construction had thick insulated panels within the cavity. Roof was insulated via mineral wool. There are double doors and 4 windows to the rear which are double glazed and argon gas filled and 3 velux roof lights. My issue is the room tends to be colder than others in the house, albeit the area is much bigger than the other rooms. It is heated via 2 large rads (gas heating) but if it's cold outside and they are turned off you feel the drop in temperature pretty quickly. I've sealed any obvious drafts but I wonder what my options would be to attempt to improve the situation without wasting money. I've previously seen advice on here to having rooms/houses assessed for heat loss to establish where issues might be - I'm based in North Dublin so if anyone could give a recommendation I would appreciate it. I do wonder where it typically goes from there and how much/little people have done to remedy after the heat loss survey.

If anyone who has had the survey could post and let me know how they found it I'd appreciate it - some of the recommendations may be obvious (insufficient insulation in roof space for example) but cost prohibitive as it would involve stripping back the roof to install...any experiences would be welcomed.

Cheers

Advertisement