Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's going on at Quinn's Cross Roundabout?

• 20-10-2016 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anybody know what is going on with the redevelopment works at Quinn's Cross Roundabout? (between Russell's bar & Mungret)

I drove through it the other day and it seems that they are making a roundabout that was barely able to facilitate existing traffic flows even worse! For example only 1 lane leading on to the roundabout from the Father Russell Road side & making the roundabout itself even smaller :confused:

Not only it it already causing massive tailbacks in the area but it seems like a complete waste of public money.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah its really puzzling isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

To say the least. I heard the argument that they were going to make it safer for cyclists but as the works have progressed it doesn’t look like they are putting in any cycle lanes. The narrower lane & road widths will actually make it more dangerous for cyclists & motorists to use the roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Hopefully they don't do what happening outside in Castletroy and Annacotty. They have cycles lanes nearly on the roundabout and each cycle lane comes with it's own yield sign nearly on the access to cross the roundabout. I've seen 2 crashes so far where a car stopped at the yield sign for a cyclist and got rear ended. It's very confusing because by right a car shouldn't have to yield leaving a roundabout but the full normal sized yield signs are there. Should be a little yield sign suitable for cyclists only.

The roundabouts are the ones outside the Casteltroy shopping centre but the crashes I saw where on the little roundabout between the Dublin road/Plassey Roundabout and Newtown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

they are preparing for the addition of another exit to the roundabout by making it smaller. At the same time they are also preparing for the increase of traffic brought about by two new schools being built in mungret by making the roads narrower. This should help to increase traffic flow dramatically. Then to increase traffic flow on the N69 they are adding a set of traffic lights at moores cross they conducted a study here and found that traffic was moving a little too freely there and people were actually making progress.

Those roundabouts you are on about berty are "French or maybe it was Danish" style roundabouts where cyclists have the right of way...we sent a bunch of lads on a jolly to study them for a while.

Also the crowd doing it much be on day rate lads...id be surprised if they are out of there next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Strettie11

2 schools are being built at mungret, all footpaths to the site are being widened to incorporate both pedestrain and a cycle lane

Where are they going to the put the extra exit on that roundabout??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

dashoonage wrote: »
    they are also preparing for the increase of traffic brought about by two new schools being built in mungret by making the roads narrower. This should help to increase traffic flow dramatically. Then to increase traffic flow on the N69 they are adding a set of traffic lights at moores cross they conducted a study here and found that traffic was moving a little too freely there and people were actually making progress.

Sounds about right! ;)

Strettie11 wrote: »
    2 schools are being built at mungret, all footpaths to the site are being widened to incorporate both pedestrain and a cycle lane

Don't forget the incinerator.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Where are they going to the put the extra exit on that roundabout??
    testicles wrote: »

Thats just stupid. :p

McLove...its a moving road..it will change its entry point to the roundabout daily.

Seriously though...i wonder are they going to make the road out to mungret a one way ? like...i assume kids will get to these schools by bus...no way 2 buses are passing each other on it.

i wonder are they going to make the road out to mungret a one way ? like...i assume kids will get to these schools by bus...no way 2 buses are passing each other on it.

It needs to be a minimum of 6.5m kerb to kerb to accommodate 2-way traffic according to the NRA, anything less than that and you're looking at a 1-way system

Tim76 wrote: »
    It needs to be a minimum of 6.5m kerb to kerb to accommodate 2-way traffic according to the NRA, anything less than that and you're looking at a 1-way system

I'll throw an auld tape on it later :P

Here is one...dotted yellow lines shows the extra exit onto quinns cross

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/news/146153/Warning-of-traffic--mayhem-.html

needs a monorail in my opinion

So they arent put an extra exit on quinns r/a!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Seriously though...i wonder are they going to make the road out to mungret a one way ? like...i assume kids will get to these schools by bus...no way 2 buses are passing each other on it.
    Having been on that road recently and met a bus near the rounabout, no I can't see two buses meeting there.
    If it's 6.5 it's only scraping it. And they did away with all the ghost islands / turning lanes whatever you want to call them.

Mighty footpaths though.
    Mc Love wrote: »
    So they arent put an extra exit on quinns r/a!
    A magic road is going to come from the roundabout between the co-op, patrickswell and the M20 (if you get me?). From that roundabout, via the back of the southcourt/ the grange/ the existing school onto quins cross roundabout.

Somebody had pics of the plans in a different thread.

Berty wrote: »
    Hopefully they don't do what happening outside in Castletroy and Annacotty. They have cycles lanes nearly on the roundabout and each cycle lane comes with it's own yield sign nearly on the access to cross the roundabout. I've seen 2 crashes so far where a car stopped at the yield sign for a cyclist and got rear ended. It's very confusing because by right a car shouldn't have to yield leaving a roundabout but the full normal sized yield signs are there. Should be a little yield sign suitable for cyclists only.

The roundabouts are the ones outside the Casteltroy shopping centre but the crashes I saw where on the little roundabout between the Dublin road/Plassey Roundabout and Newtown.

Looks like somebody vomited red tarmac and humps and lumps and chunks onto a normal roundabout. Awful yokes.

But I think they may have even more ambitious plans for quins cross... I'm intrigued by the inner kerbed "orbit" around the island... is it another magical inner orbit for cyclists and pedestrians. Oh what fun we will have with another variation on the standard roundabout.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/news/146153/Warning-of-traffic--mayhem-.html

Very bad picture of extra roads to be possibly maybe perhaps built at a later date in article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I'm intrigued by the inner kerbed "orbit" around the island... is it another magical inner orbit for cyclists and pedestrians.

A Trillion Euros says that this will become an Actual Lane for Cars coming from Mungret and taking the Raheen Exit ;),,,,

• Advertisement

I'm intrigued by the inner kerbed "orbit" around the island... is it another magical inner orbit for cyclists and pedestrians.
    But how do they get on to it? Or off it for that matter? Any cyclist unlucky enough to get caught in its gravitational field will be stuck on loop forever...

But how do they get on to it? Or off it for that matter? Any cyclist unlucky enough to get caught in its gravitational field will be stuck on loop forever...

Oh I haven't a clue what it's for. Miniature chariot races? I've never seen one before. A pessimistic part of me is picturing something bonkers like zebra crossings to and from the roundabout island!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

The area around the roundabout will be paved with brick like many new and up-date ones have. When the final layer of tar get laid it will meet level with the kerb allowing any large long vehicles to use the brick area, i.e the wheels of a trailer on a truck may en-roach on the brick instead of grass which may get stuck.
    There will be a combination of shared surface and seperate lanes for both cyclists and pedestrians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

testicles wrote: »

Well the roundabout seems sensible enough now thanks to sonyair.

The width of the road to Mungret seems very odd if they ever want large vehicles to be able to meet there or turn onto the road from the junctions that meet it. A one way system for buses could work I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It will look similar to this when finished:

Magic-Roundabout-AAIR_Devizes-002-6c7tt0ub1i8rt8hbwfk5l9lpy827ey9q6904ptvngji.jpg

:D

They had temp traffic lights up at moores cross last night...i was queued back to the doc road roundabout. How they expect this not to cause delays when they put in permanent lights is beyond me.

I'm sure that a team of competent professionals will set it up so that it is always faster and easier to go that way rather than via mungret village and quinns cross....

Well... replace I'm sure with I hope.

I'm sure that a team of competent professionals will set it up so that it is always faster and easier to go that way rather than via mungret village and quinns cross....

Well... replace I'm sure with I hope.

its going to be faster go via patrickswell soon!

• Advertisement

Jaysus lads...they are still at this...

Advertisement