Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's going on at Quinn's Cross Roundabout?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

It seems like work has ground to a halt, very little progress this last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

davo2001 wrote: »
    It seems like work has ground to a halt, very little progress this last few weeks.

No there was seven lads and 2 diggers round a hole this morning...one had a rake...

dashoonage wrote: »
    No there was seven lads and 2 diggers round a hole this morning...one had a rake...

Yeah but doing fuc* all.

What i don't get is why they haven't put in lowered curb stones for pedestrian crossings, they are at the same level as the rest of the path, would make it very difficult for a person in a wheelchair to get across.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

There will be crossing points at entry and exit onto the roundabout where all pedestrians and those with reduced mobility will stay level with the paths. There will also be crossing points further along the road. All of the crossings will be built as a ramp, groody roundabout is similar to what is happening here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

This whole area is a joke, firstly in Mungret Village coming off the N69 you have one of the smallest roundabouts very funny watching huge buses take a shortcut through there without stopping at a stop, they actually have to drive on the roundabout. I even wonder if they should be up there at all there is a 3 ton limit. How much does a bus coach weigh?

Then driving through the village you have the delight of 10 cars parked on the footpath outside the credit union and post office. Some dont even bother to pull off the road they just leave the cars sticking out into traffic. All this when there is a massive car park outside the church 5 meters across the road.

Then further down where the 'lovely' wall and benches are you have giant potholes at the foot of the brick speed bumps. Who thought up the idea to use bricks in the middle of the road ill never know. They are not there long and are already badly in need or repair.

Then the actual roadworks. Most of the time the guys are all standing around. I've seen guy driving massive diggers while using the phone. Guys doing the stop/go on phones and smoking fags. Typically there are 20 guys there. 18 doing nothing and 2 working. That's obviously not accurate but you get the jist. I cant believe they are allowed to actually leave the road open in the state its in. The road is destroying cars. Then they fail you on the nct due to bushings. This country is a big massive joke.

Time to start avoiding Mugret for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

Jaysus lads...they are still at this...

The ancient Egyptians would have had a ****ing pyramid built on that roundabout at this stage!

i stopped going up there. go into the doc road now and up if im going to raheen.

I was passing in there one day and a lad was patching up one of the brick speed ramps with tar and chip....wtf like

Tim76 wrote: »
    The ancient Egyptians would have had a ****ing pyramid built on that roundabout at this stage!

There labour laws werent as relaxed as ours:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The traffic has turned into a complete joke coming from Casey's furniture side towards the end of father Russell road. Needs more than one lane.

• Advertisement

The traffic has turned into a complete joke coming from Casey's furniture side towards the end of father Russell road. Needs more than one lane.

Don't know what to the idea is reducing the lanes. It's backing up traffic all over the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

sonyair wrote: »
    There will be crossing points at entry and exit onto the roundabout where all pedestrians and those with reduced mobility will stay level with the paths. There will also be crossing points further along the road. All of the crossings will be built as a ramp, groody roundabout is similar to what is happening here.

Ah no, those ramps on the roundabout are awful, much too high, there must be a more efficient way for people to cross the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Hahaha - "You know what would make traffic flow better in this city? ANOTHER Groody roundabout"
    Ya couldn't make it up.

Shtill... tunnel traffic up, less compensation from public funds to honour the sweeeeet deal the operators did?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

The change in alignment from Fr Russell road onto the roundabout has greatly reduced the flow of traffic. In the past you would be at most 2-3 cars back from the roundabout at peak morning traffic time. Now I regularly see it backed up 3-4 cars into the Cragaun/Oakfield exit on the mini roundabout.

The road to Mungret is worse again. The narrow width combined with the slalom contour mean you will have increased likelihood of collision with on coming traffic or the kerb. A better solution would have been to have footpath/cycle path at one side only, allowing a much wider road and reduced chances of collisions at that new estate entrance.

The work itself is biblically slow.At the start I thought they would be milking it if they didn't have the roundabout section completed by the start of September, at the current rate it will be lucky to be completed by early next year.

Particularly bad patch exiting the roundabout onto fr russell road... Its horrendus...its half rubble concrete and half tar. Just stick something temporary on it please. Its like a roundabout in Baghdad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mrmoe wrote: »
    The change in alignment from Fr Russell road onto the roundabout has greatly reduced the flow of traffic. In the past you would be at most 2-3 cars back from the roundabout at peak morning traffic time. Now I regularly see it backed up 3-4 cars into the Cragaun/Oakfield exit on the mini roundabout.

The road to Mungret is worse again. The narrow width combined with the slalom contour mean you will have increased likelihood of collision with on coming traffic or the kerb. A better solution would have been to have footpath/cycle path at one side only, allowing a much wider road and reduced chances of collisions at that new estate entrance.

The work itself is biblically slow.At the start I thought they would be milking it if they didn't have the roundabout section completed by the start of September, at the current rate it will be lucky to be completed by early next year.

Roadworks in Ireland - Buttevant is a prime example of how slow they are.

Particularly bad patch exiting the roundabout onto fr russell road... Its horrendus...its half rubble concrete and half tar. Just stick something temporary on it please. Its like a roundabout in Baghdad.

Got caught with that one myself last night. The road is left in ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Mrmoe wrote: »

Yeah I really don't think the whole "roundabout to Sli na Manach" thing was well planned at all. Even a foot each side would make a big difference for cars meeting there at night, never mind throwing buses or HGVs into the mix.

Got caught with that one myself last night. The road is left in ****e!

Bagdhad!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

The company carrying out the works seem to be making it up as they go along from what I hear/see. I passed there a couple of times at the weekend and they had 3 lads there on Saturday holding up both sides of the main road at the same time between Quinns Cross Roundabout and Mungret itself, just before the turn in to Mungret College. On the way back they had a stop-go system in place so only one side was affected at a time.

I was in the park in the college on Sunday morning and there were two construction workers working on the entrance in to the college and had the entrance down to one lane which made it extremely dangerous as it was hard to see if there was any traffic around the corner with the construction vehicles obstructing the views, the two construction workers were working away and there was no stop-go system in place.

From talking to one of the residents from the estate in there also, there doesn't seem to be any information being given to them regarding road closures, etc. which must be a bit frustrating for the residents in the estates and the one off houses it is regularly affecting.

• Advertisement

the road crossings they carrier out on the N69 have sunk about 6 inches already. I know they will covered over eventually but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Strettie11

A Question

With all 3 narrow roads leading to 2 schools in a cul de sac how is an emergency vehicle supposed to reach the school during peak times ?

Strettie11 wrote: »
    A Question

With all 3 narrow roads leading to 2 schools in a cul de sac how is an emergency vehicle supposed to reach the school during peak times ?

Very slowly I would imagine

Tim76 wrote: »
    Very slowly I would imagine

Or completely stuck, there wasnt anything wrong with the previous design imho. Just the council trying to justify their budget for next year.

Passed down this again this am...place is a mess. The road is so narrow. The temporary road crossings on the N69 have sunk and are very hard on the car now. I emailed the council but got no reply. The lads will get xmas out of it anyway.

Passed down this again this am...place is a mess. The road is so narrow. The temporary road crossings on the N69 have sunk and are very hard on the car now. I emailed the council but got no reply. The lads will get xmas out of it anyway.

Definitely, works on the round about itself have ground to a complete halt for the last 2 weeks anyways.

I got screw in my tire as a result of these works. Can't 100% prove it was from the works themselves though but I know it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Place is a complete joke. Dont think anyone knows whats going on. Those curbs and narrow roads are a disaster waiting to happen! Who do we go to about this farce? Fellas standing around constantly. Who oversees these types of works? Zero sinage in place to warn you of any holes or bumps.

Was the story with the low kerb on the roundabout? Seems a bit pointless

Mc Love wrote: »
    Was the story with the low kerb on the roundabout? Seems a bit pointless

I have a friend and asked about this, apparently its something to do with allowing emergency vehicles to get around the roundabout when its congested, at least that's what one of the workers said.

• Advertisement

I have a friend and asked about this, apparently its something to do with allowing emergency vehicles to get around the roundabout when its congested, at least that's what one of the workers said.

you know what would have worked there! leaving the roundabout the way it was :P

Advertisement