Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's going on at Quinn's Cross Roundabout?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

dashoonage wrote: »
    you know what would have worked there! leaving the roundabout the way it was :P

Of course, but this is Limerick CC we are talking about here :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Tbf the roundabout itself turned into a water feature on one side if there was any sprinkle of rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,462 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Screenshot_20161117-182603_zpsdk0o5q0n.png

At least they were working on it today... Well not on the road itself but more the landscaping around the roundabout..

So tell me... Is there only one lane on the roundabout now. I got totally caught last week coming from centra/Casey's furniture side up to the roundabout, I was going towards Fr. Russell road so went into right "lane" on approach to roundabout only to discover that there is no right lane on the roundabout... It's now too narrow.

They've made an absolute bollocks of the whole thing. The exit roads are in absolute shyte too. I can hear my front bumper scrape off the exit to Fr Russell road it's that bad.

A total and utter bollocks.

The exit roads are in absolute shyte too. I can hear my front bumper scrape off the exit to Fr Russell road it's that bad.

Stance, lad. There's a simple cure for that!

As if the place wasn't a bottleneck before at school times its gonna be chronic now with the restricted flow, one lane roundabout.

Cunning plan to nudge more people towards the tunnel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

They've made an absolute bollocks of the whole thing. The exit roads are in absolute shyte too. I can hear my front bumper scrape off the exit to Fr Russell road it's that bad.

I agree with everything you said. The sudden drops from one surface to the next and the craters every 20ft are wreaking cars. I wonder who decided this joke was the way to go.

Stop/Go system in place earlier and all i could see working was one digger and it wasn't even digging. Has anyone noticed the state of the first brick roundabout now outside the GAA club? Its in sh** im sure made worse from all the heavy traffic.

There is no way this work is getting finished in 2016

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

As if the place wasn't a bottleneck before at school times its gonna be chronic now with the restricted flow, one lane roundabout.

Only thing this will do is make drivers start to use the old borreen to the dock road.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

Mc Love wrote: »
    Only thing this will do is make drivers start to use the old borreen to the dock road.

Maybe they're planning on putting a toll on that cos that's the only way this whole mess makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

I've often seen this claim about city centre works but the council have nothing to do with the tunnel, why would they do this?

pigtown wrote: »
    I've often seen this claim about city centre works but the council have nothing to do with the tunnel, why would they do this?

Vive la revolution! Hasta la Victoria siempre comrades!

Will ye be building a wall as part of yer split from the rest of Ireland and the people who pay the tunnel operators to make up for the shortfall in traffic?

Vive la revolution, vive la peoples Republic of limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Something, something, make Limerick great again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really see how this could be. If anything the Quinn roundabout would be used to get to or from the tunnel, not avoid it.

I think they've just unintentionally messed it up rather than being part of some grand master plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,275 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really see how this could be. If anything the Quinn roundabout would be used to get to or from the tunnel, not avoid it.

I think they've just unintentionally messed it up rather than being part of some grand master plan.

That would be even worse, it means they are totally incompetent at their job. The dog on the street could see that reducing the lanes onto the roundabout to one would result in longer queues of traffic approaching it.

You're missing something alright.... Dock road, Shannon bridge and condell road.

bazz26 wrote: »
    That would be even worse, it means they are totally incompetent at their job. The dog on the street could see that reducing the lanes onto the roundabout to one would result in longer queues of traffic approaching it.

Perhaps I've phrased it badly saying "unintentionally messed it up", but equally, I find it hard to imagine that they would deliberately design a road system that, well, doesn't work. I'm assuming that their intention is to make it safer for pedestrians and slow traffic, but the school hasn't even opened yet and there's already been plenty of mornings with lengthy tailbacks into both Inis Mor and Oakfield estates never mind the Father Russell Road and Mungret road. Unless there's significant works yet to come it's hard to see how this situation will change (without reworking the roundabout)

You're missing something alright.... Dock road, Shannon bridge and condell road.

The decision whether or not to use the tunnel comes at the Raheen roundabout, not the Quinn roundabout. So I still don't see how changing the Quinn roundabout would make people favour the tunnel. If the Quinn roundabout was somewhere on the Dock road, Shannon bridge and condell road then I'd agree with you.

Unless by "nudge more people towards the tunnel" you mean Limerick CC are hoping to make traffic so bad for local residents that they will want to leave Limerick altogether:D

The decision whether or not to use the tunnel comes at the Raheen roundabout, not the Quinn roundabout. So I still don't see how changing the Quinn roundabout would make people favour the tunnel. If the Quinn roundabout was somewhere on the Dock road, Shannon bridge and condell road then I'd agree with you.

Unless by "nudge more people towards the tunnel" you mean Limerick CC are hoping to make traffic so bad for local residents that they will want to leave Limerick altogether:D

Ok.
    If there was no tunnel, you are implying that no significant amount of traffic from/to cork and kerry to/from clare and Galway would come south court hotel, dock road, condell road or the reverse? No significant Shannon crossing traffic via quinn roundabout if the tunnel didn't exist, in your version of events at least, right?

Fascinating :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Saw a sign this morning that the N69 link road to Quinns cross is closed... hopefully making the push to get this thing finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

rumor is bus drivers coming up father russell road cant make left turn in one movement so the road layout has to be changed again.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I wonder was the design, or build of it wrong..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

MarkR wrote: »
    I wonder was the design, or build of it wrong..

We, the public look forward to the clear, transparent explanation as to who f***ed up, engineers/construction company, both/neither....

• Advertisement

rumor is bus drivers coming up father russell road cant make left turn in one movement so the road layout has to be changed again.

Gold. You'd think people whose job it is to do this would have "best practice" dimensions for buses, trucks etc.

Bodes well for the finished product.
    Wait till there's any significant amount of two way bus traffic for the new schools from that roundabout. And little drumlins of speed bumps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'm guessing Emergency vehicles will avoid the area during busy times

Gold. You'd think people whose job it is to do this would have "best practice" dimensions for buses, trucks etc.

Bodes well for the finished product.
    Wait till there's any significant amount of two way bus traffic for the new schools from that roundabout. And little drumlins of speed bumps.

I think they have the dimensions all right but have them in the wrong places...

The cycle lane and footpath could take two buses

Mc Love wrote: »
    I'm guessing Emergency vehicles will avoid the area during busy times
    dashoonage wrote: »
    I think they have the dimensions all right but have them in the wrong places...

The cycle lane and footpath could take two buses

224621-bikemedic.jpg

What a joke. Whoever made the decision to change the roundabout should be made accountable for a fcuking shocking decision and waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

You literally could not make this up. How could a qualified civil engineer design something like this?

There is software out there from Autodesk that allows you to determine turning circles for every type of vehicle from cars to buses and arctics. There is no excuse for allowing this to be build the way in has. Breathtaking incompetence and as usual no one will be held accountable for it. :mad:

I'd love to see if the spot between sli na manach estate and the roundabout has been run through some "design rules check".
    I'm skeptical really that Bus A and Bus B, one heading for the roundabout and and one leaving it could pass without some negotiations.
    Fair enough if no heavy/large vehicles will be allowed use the section.

I'd love to see if the spot between sli na manach estate and the roundabout has been run through some "design rules check".
    I'm skeptical really that Bus A and Bus B, one heading for the roundabout and and one leaving it could pass without some negotiations.
    Fair enough if no heavy/large vehicles will be allowed use the section.

wasnt their always a 3T weight limit on that road?

The whole thing just isnt very motorist friendly. Given that thats the basic function of a road like.

Anyone use the road between Russell road and dock road? I use it every day as I live practically on it. It's mad busy last few weeks...I'm convinced it's because of the delays at the new "improved" roundabout. .

• Advertisement

Ok.
    If there was no tunnel, you are implying that no significant amount of traffic from/to cork and kerry to/from clare and Galway would come south court hotel, dock road, condell road or the reverse? No significant Shannon crossing traffic via quinn roundabout if the tunnel didn't exist, in your version of events at least, right?

Fascinating :-)

Yes of course there would be a significant amount of traffic if the tunnel didn't exsist, but the tunnel does exsist and I've never suggested otherwise.

Advertisement