Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I stay or should I go?

Options
  • 20-10-2016 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I started my current job near the start of this year on a 1 year contract. While I was happy here the money could have been better. I was approached by a recruitment agency about a job that seems fantastic, I interviewed twice and subsequently landed the job. It was a good deal more money than my current job and it is permanent, although it’s a little different to what I do now and a bit more awkward to get to. Once I told my current job I was leaving they offered me more money(though its about 200e a month less than the new place) but a nice increase that what I am currently on, and a 3 year contract starting now, as well as an extra weeks holidays. Now I don’t know what to do. I like my current place, It’s a great job, I know exactly what I am doing and what is expected of me and I get on great with everyone. Although the new place sounds great I am afraid I wont be good at it since its not what I do now, and I wont pass the probation period. Am I just taking the easy route if I stay? Or should I move considering there are so many positives and it would be good career wise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Are you missing out on benefits for being a contractor that you may get with the permanent job?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 regarega133

I dont think so, part of the stay package is to be able to join the pension scheme etc. I also cited wanting to save for a mortgage and then to go for one as part of the reason to go to the new job when asked by my current one. They said that I can still go for one, that a contract shouldnt affect it. I should probably add that most people here are on contracts, its just the way its done. Its not just myself, though mostly people only get another yearly one after their first year is completed from what Ive heard from colleagues

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

It's a tough situation, I know how you feel. To be honest, if it was me and I knew the move would be great for my career then I'd take it.

While it's understandable to be concerned about not being thought of in such a high way in the new place, but I really think it's worth breaking through that and taking the jump. When the learning curve starts to flat line, I take it as a sign to move onwards and upwards.

It all depends on the life stage you're at I suppose, generally speaking a middle aged person with kids is going have very different priorities than that of someone childless in their 20s and early 30s who can focus everything on building their career. While the parent may value more time off and being able to be home by 6; the younger, career driven person, may choose to work more hours in return for some fantastic experience or good money.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They're offering you less money, and presumably less benefits than the proposed new job. Only thing keeping you there is inertia it sounds. Do factor in the softer benefits. People you work with. Commute. Quality of life etc.

Three year contract, are you locked in for that long? Or is that more a guarantee from their side?

I get what you mean, I am late 20s and was hoping to have a house/kids within the next few years which has been on my mind during this. I'm at the stage where I want to start saving and getting serious about things. I know I would be taking a risk moving, but I am concerned that if I take it and fail I will have to start all over again somewhere else then after that. But on the other hand if I had been given what my current place are offering in the beginning I probably wouldnt have been bothered to look elsewhere. I think the 3 year contract is more of a guarantee their side than something I would have to see through in its entirety if I take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Stay.
    If the money is good, the work is nice, the conditions good, you like the place, it's easier to get to/from work then that's all anyone wants from work. It's only work after all, work to live not live to work.

I think if the money was slightly closer to the new places offer I would have no problem staying. I make enough to live comfortably now, but not enough to put much by. If I stay I will be making an extra 200e a month on current salary. But the new place is 400e more a month which would double what I can save. This is the part thats playing on my mind. Having said that theres a lot to be said for knowing you wont be stressed to bits, having a grand commute and not minding going into work every day. Ive never had a place either that valued me and didnt want me to leave when it came down to handing in my notice.

The new place could be an even handier place to work with a better bunch of people...it's hard to know! Money isn't everything but if you're happy to coast it, stay where you are, if you're looking to progress and challenge yourself you may be better off in the new role.

I'm currently in a similar situation, I have a brilliant, handy, relaxed job but have been offered a new one which I have not yet accepted, currently weighing up all the options. It could be horrible for all I know but I believe it's a better opportunity and I might get further with it....the commute and salary will be better too, but that's just a bonus.

I know I sound like such a whine and some people would kill to have 2 great options laid out for them. I just kind of feel like whatever decision I make is going to have such a big impact on my next few years hence the panic. I think part of the reason I'm scared is that the last time I had a similar job to the new one I didnt pass probation. I was young and had loads of external factors that were affecting my performance. This was many years ago and I have grown immensely, I am more confident and a lot better now. which is obviously why this place want to keep me, but still that fear of failing is there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I am late 20s and was hoping to have a house/kids within the next few years

is being a contract employee likely to effect your options around getting a house?

• Advertisement

I asked about that and current place said that you can still get a mortgage etc while being on a fixed term contract

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I asked about that and current place said that you can still get a mortgage etc while being on a fixed term contract

Unless they're the ones granting you a mortgage, I'd get a second opinion from a lender. They may be right but I certainly wouldn't take their word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Most people who take a counter offer -tend to regret it. As in by staying in their existing place often they are promised the skies but it doesn't materialise. But if the money is all that was pushing you out then maybe it would be enough. Why don't you ask them to match your new offer?

What the current place would offer would definitely materialise. I have a sheet I was given to take home and mull it over, it would take effect asap as soon as I sign the new contract. I'm already getting a good increase on what I was getting but they wouldnt be able to match the other offer

I will be making an extra 200e a month on current salary. But the new place is 400e more a month which would double what I can save.

Are those figures gross or net of tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Squatman

Its boggling! did you ask your employers about car insurance too? cos thats not their forte either, although your taking their passing comments about mortgages as gospel.

frankly, you interviewed elsewhere for good reason, and if you stay now, your current employer will lose respect for you. i think you must leave.. IMO

Advertisement