Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Sebastian 2016

Options
  • 20-10-2016 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭

San Sebastian Marathon due on Sunday November 27th.

So far there's me and The Bitter Lemon scheduled to run it.

Previous Thread (from 2013) can be found here.

Anyone else??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

Anyone else??

No but would seriously love a holiday there, good luck with it and bask in its gorgeousness afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Course changed in 2014 and 2015.

Just so you have up to date information I can bask in the improvement from the run in 2013 here is the Strava output from last year's glorious run: https://www.strava.com/activities/441305286/

Would love to be going back again. Fup stressing over carbs and stuff the day before and enjoy the pintxos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Course changed in 2014 and 2015.

Just so you have up to date information I can bask in the improvement from the run in 2013 here is the Strava output from last year's glorious run: https://www.strava.com/activities/441305286/

Would love to be going back again. Fup stressing over carbs and stuff the day before and enjoy the pintxos.

Super pacing - looks slightly lumpy??

Super pacing - looks slightly lumpy??

Cheers - you have a target there ;)

Not lumpy at all - even the bridges over the river are flat!

Other than coming out of the tunnel to rejoin the road by the river (south east corner) and a small hump to another tunnel at the west end of the promenade it's flat. I'm sure some of the roads may have a gentle rise but not noticeably so.

I think the GPS may be reading some altitude points from the sides of the hills adjacent to some of the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Anyone else??

How are you getting to San Sebastian? Flights to bilbao and biarritz seem scare

• Advertisement

Mr Jinx wrote: »

Ryanair via Stanstead to Biarritz.
    Got mine for €42 :)

@PaulieYifter

When you ran 2.56 - were you on your ownsome for most of it or where there a good few people running at that pace??

The 2 times I did it I flew Dublin -> Madrid -> San Seb with Iberia. There's a Friday afternoon flight from Dub and 3 or 4 flights from Madrid to connect with.

On the way back I flew via Barcelona both times but you can go back via Madrid too -> Both were early enough starts though to make decent connections.

@PaulieYifter

When you ran 2.56 - were you on your ownsome for most of it or where there a good few people running at that pace??

Plenty around me.

Even though there was only 3000 runners that time was only good enough to just get inside the top 300 - yesterday in Dublin that time would have you finish around the same position to give you an idea of numbers of runners around you.

If I remember right I started a minute behind the sub 3 pacers and gradually caught up with them around half way. In the second half I found myself running with a group ahead of the pacers for a few miles then jumping from them to another group. The last 5 miles or so I suppose everybody was strung out but plenty of footsteps behind me to keep me moving and in front of me to keep me chasing. There was actually 1 bloke that I basically ran the whole race just in front of - he followed me through every timing mat in the 2nd half and when he overtook me at one point I surged past him again - great for the focus!

Its a fast marathon - if you really fancy it sure they have pacers for 2:45 and even 2:30 :eek:

Just looking back at the result there was 6 finishers in the 10 seconds in front of me and 6 in the 10 seconds behind me so 13 runners in 20 seconds is enough company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I'm going Ryanair to Madrid and Iberia madrid to San Seb

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

From Dublin to Bilbao via Frankfurt with Lufthansa, from Friday to Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Plenty around me.

Even though there was only 3000 runners that time was only good enough to just get inside the top 300 - yesterday in Dublin that time would have you finish around the same position to give you an idea of numbers of runners around you.

If I remember right I started a minute behind the sub 3 pacers and gradually caught up with them around half way. In the second half I found myself running with a group ahead of the pacers for a few miles then jumping from them to another group. The last 5 miles or so I suppose everybody was strung out but plenty of footsteps behind me to keep me moving and in front of me to keep me chasing. There was actually 1 bloke that I basically ran the whole race just in front of - he followed me through every timing mat in the 2nd half and when he overtook me at one point I surged past him again - great for the focus!

Its a fast marathon - if you really fancy it sure they have pacers for 2:45 and even 2:30 :eek:

Just looking back at the result there was 6 finishers in the 10 seconds in front of me and 6 in the 10 seconds behind me so 13 runners in 20 seconds is enough company.

Slightly off topic but the quality in some of those Spanish races is impressive. I was looking at the Valencia Half results last week and it was a kinda humbling experience. My pb wouldn't have done much damage!!!

Are there many people going? So exciting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Totally off topic but I'm not long back from a holiday there. Lovely old town and beautiful beaches. No shortage of great food and wine in the pincho bars. Some great restaurants too if you eat your fill of pinchos. I'm envious of you all, but not enough to want to run a marathon. Enjoy!

kabuxa wrote: »
    Are there many people going? So exciting!!

not too sure at this stage.
    Looking forward to it either way!

not too sure at this stage. Looking forward to it either way!

Me too!

Any news????

Itziger wrote: »
    Any news????

Trump won the election and there was an earthquake in NZ.

this day 2 weeks will be 'funny walk' day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Is there a tracker?

Trump won the election and there was an earthquake in NZ.

this day 2 weeks will be 'funny walk' day.

Da heck!! How did I think it was yesterday??

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote:
    Is there a tracker?

No there is not. I asked them and they said no... they will send an email with all the info. I find it strange though as everyone has it...
    I think I was asking too many questions ;0)))

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

No there is not. I asked them and they said no... they will send an email with all the info. I find it strange though as everyone has it...
    I think I was asking too many questions ;0)))
    Is morgan goin..

UM1 wrote:
    Is morgan goin..

Who is Morgan? ;0)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Who is Morgan? ;0)
    The man who can see above the clouds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Made the decision to pull out. A niggling calf strain screwed up my training for three weeks, and although I managed a 12k run last night, it was slow and laboured and the prospect of doing 30 more just isn't realistic :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Bordeaux is just 2.15 drive away or a bus or train ride , santendar is also another option to fly to via England

zulutango wrote:
    Made the decision to pull out. A niggling calf strain screwed up my training for three weeks, and although I managed a 12k run last night, it was slow and laboured and the prospect of doing 30 more just isn't realistic

That is a pity!!! There is a half and a 10 option... in case you have travels arranged..

Too early?

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/es/14-day-weather-trend/asturias/san-sebastian

Other forecasts indicate only light winds.

Too early?

Other forecasts indicate only light winds.

Oooooh this morning said raining! This is an improvement!!! Thanks!

• Advertisement

Oooooh this morning said raining! This is an improvement!!! Thanks!

yeah - think it had 40% chance of rain.

I'd welcome a few showers tbh - keeps you cool.
    Once the wind keeps down and its not too warm.

Advertisement