Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

less than minimum wage = what to do!

Options
  • 20-10-2016 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I've been working in my job for over a year now. As the minimum wage went up in Jan 2016 - it now means I'm being paid less than the minimum wage.

I've tried on numerous occasions to discuss this with my empolyer but when the issue is mentioned, it is ignored. Each time I seem to mention it (in a proffesional manner of course) I'm given even more tasks which exceed my role. I've never had any discplinary issues with the company or any causes for concern.

I have a degree, but feeling really clueless as what to do next.
    Should I simply leave my job before securing something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

You have a degree and you're working for less than minimum wage for over a year? Surely you can find something else that pays better?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 CS2811

To start, I was just on minimum. It was my first job after college which was my option instead of an unpaid internship. During the invterveiw proccess, this was discussed as simply a probationary salary. However, 1 year later nothing has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How many other jobs have you applied for since then?

I've said in another thread: the only purpose of taking a minimum wage job is to tide you over until you get a better one. Do not expect to stay there for years, and ideally do not stay there for months either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

Also it's worth pointing out that if you're in your first or second year of employment since the age of 18 then you're only entitled to 80% & 90% of minimum wage so it may be legal what your employer is paying you...not that I'm saying it's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Surely when a person reaches the age of 18 they have to be paid the minimum wage and nothing less.??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

jonon9 wrote: »
    Surely when a person reaches the age of 18 they have to be paid the minimum wage and nothing less.??

No. For the first 2 years in the field you are only entitled to about 7.50 an hour. If they moved to another job in a new field say from Lawyer to Chef the cycle starts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No. For the first 2 years in the field you are only entitled to about 7.50 an hour. If they moved to another job in a new field say from Lawyer to Chef the cycle starts again.

Only the first sentence is correct. And even then the rates isn't quite right.

Minimum wage is reduced until you have two years experience - in any field - after you are 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

Only the first sentence is correct. And even then the rates isn't quite right.

Minimum wage is reduced until you have two years experience - in any field - after you are 18.

I wasn't sure of the rates, but appreciate the correction on the latter.

Advertisement