Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need a car for cold weather M4/N4; transferrring NCB

• 20-10-2016 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Greetings,
    Live near Mullingar. Weather is getting colder now. Never commuted by bike into Dublin from here before. I was wondering has anyone experience of commuting by motorbike from this part of the world in cold weather. Des the grit work or should I invest in a small car or car-van for those bad mornings? Finally is it even possible to get private van insurance anymore or is their even much of a difference between insuring-taxing a car/small-an plus is it possible to use the NCB from my motorbike driving?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I'm certain you will need handlebar muffs or at least heated grips. My commute was something like that for winter three years ago and the only issue was the cold on my hands. The muffs were ugly but I didn't care once it got me through winter.

If you have no problems driving now in the rain then in winter its no different imo. The only risk might be if we get snow. The back roads could be impassable my bike but okay by car.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Darith

I live right on the n4 so back roads can be discounted thankfully. Going to buy heated grips; I have a Deauville and my muffs don't fit properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Darith

I live right on the n4 so back roads can be discounted thankfully. Going to buy heated grips; I have a Deauville and my muffs don't fit properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Darith wrote: »

Get a set of the spoilers that attach to the fairing, they make a huge difference to the wind hitting your hands.
    I think they are NLA from Honda but there is a pattern version available from Rob Davis.
    http://robdavistelford.co.uk/webspace/deauville/deflectors/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd also try a different type of bar muff if your present muffs don't fit.

Heated grips are good, no doubt about it. But you'll still experience some cold on the backs of your hands and finger tips.. Heated grips can be pretty expensive too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

I have heated gloves. Miles better than heated grips. Whole hand is heated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

You do need a plan b for ice, snow, deluge and storms. My plan b for such is a colleague, but as she travels by car I really need to decide the previous night, as she leaves 30 min before I need to. Then it's plan c.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

NCB for a bike is not transferable to a car or vice versa. You need to build them up separately.

As has been said before, heated grips, wind deflectors or a combo is needed for winter driving. Heated jacket is also nice!

Plan b and c should also considered, snow, ice and slush are not fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I commute from kinnegad 5 days a week. If there is a chance of ice nurse the bike straight onto the motorway and then take it handy and smooth. As mentioned, heated grips etc etc are a must throughout winter. The cold affect people different. For example I only just this week added the inner lining to my gear. I find anything below 6 degrees chilly. A set of rain warrior or similar rain gear is also a must otherwise you will spend the evening drying out your gear for the next days commute. The weather didn't stop me once last winter from commuting on the bike but I know this was very lucky, no snow etc. It take me 50 minutes to get to the quays from kinnegad so I would imagine it would take you just over an hour. When you pass the 3 mile car tailback on the motorway it's well worth biking it

Advertisement