Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin 2017

Options
  • 20-10-2016 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi there,

I have decided to give triathlon a go and being an ambitious guy I want to finish half iron man :)

I'm looking for a couch/ group to train in Dublin - any recommendations?

Thank you & Regards,
    Sebastian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

If you are looking for training partners and learn from the experience of others it might be a good idea to join a club. A few of the larger clubs in Dublin:
    Fingal - North County Dublin
    Piranha - primarily Clontarf based with members across Dublin
    3D - North/West Dublin
    Piranha - Tallaght
    Belpark - South Dublin

Probably best to see which one suits you in terms of times and locations and then go to one or two sessions to try them out.

Best of luck, Cart man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

ArtXus wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have decided to give triathlon a go and being an ambitious guy I want to finish half iron man :)

Thank you & Regards,
    Sebastian

Try dfs. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

There's also Wicklow tri club if your still on bray, I believe swims are in grey stones. The list that cart man gave should provide plenty of choice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

ArtXus wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thank you & Regards,
    Sebastian

anyway being a bit more serious whats your level for
    swim bike run ( times )
    which area in dublin do you prefer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Was hoping to see some reviews of this year's event.

Any feedback knocking around? Seemed like near perfect conditions up until about 1pm.

It's been a while since I've been on TDAR but couldn't see any current event thread trending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I heard entries were half of last years and they were allowing walk up entries on the Friday.

Doesn't bode too well for renewal of the licence for next year.

Grassey wrote: »
    I heard entries were half of last years and they were allowing walk up entries on the Friday.

Doesn't bode too well for renewal of the licence for next year.

1800 I heard..... so 200 short of max. which isn't great. Maybe it's the Irish that have gone sour on this one?

I have it on good authority that next year will be going ahead but with some fairly substantial changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I did it for the first time on Sunday. Couldn't fault the organisation and set up and numbers were strong. The swim course is good (was 200m long but not to worry) and run course in the park was excellent. The disappointing part for me was the bike course. Loads of marshalls and traffic was well managed but the surface left quite a bit to be desired in many places (and I'm quite used to training on sh1tty roads). Lots of gear on the road that rattled off bikes. You'll find a nice shiny multitool of mine somewhere around Lucan.

The other issue was a complete absence of any draft marshalling.

All in all a quite enjoyable event. If it was not to go ahead I'd be amazed if it was due to low numbers...

EC1000 wrote: »
    Lots of gear on the road that rattled off bikes. You'll find a nice shiny multitool of mine somewhere around Lucan

That Lower Lucan Road is a beautiful stretch.... Bar the speed bumps, the surface and the traffic on non race days.

• Advertisement

Seanie_H wrote:
    I have it on good authority that next year will be going ahead but with some fairly substantial changes.

Able to share those details? There seems to be some changes each year, reversing the cycle route from year 2 to 2, rerouting last bit of cycle this year. Run loop changes. Swim was AG mass start - AG rolling start - self seeded rolling start - though changes made to aid swimmers exiting seem to improve year on year. I remember trying to get out the first year was a nightmare.

Grassey wrote: »
    Able to share those details? There seems to be some changes each year, reversing the cycle route from year 2 to 2, rerouting last bit of cycle this year. Run loop changes. Swim was AG mass start - AG rolling start - self seeded rolling start - though changes made to aid swimmers exiting seem to improve year on year. I remember trying to get out the first year was a nightmare.

No, not yet (sorry, I've turned in to one of those people with no credibility because I can't say much more than an ambiguous comment). What I will say is that I expected it to be announced today or very soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Aside from the weather, the condition of the roads would put me off this. I do a lot of cycling along much of that route and would really disinterest me racing on that. The speed bumps another off putting thing.
    I get a feeling Seanie is hinting towards the possibility of a full IM next year...

Aside from the weather, the condition of the roads would put me off this. I do a lot of cycling along much of that route and would really disinterest me racing on that. The speed bumps another off putting thing.
    I get a feeling Seanie is hinting towards the possibility of a full IM next year...

No, not a full this year but very different route. Not those roads again anyways.

If the half isn't selling out, they would definitely shoot themselves in the foot with a full....

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

did my first 70.3 there on Sunday and have to say I enjoyed it. Agree with all of the previous comments about the road surface on some of the stretches though, particularly in relation to the speed bumps in the strawberry beds - having to cross them twice was a bit much and really broke up your momentum.
    Couldn't fault the overall organization and support though. I was disappointed when I initially saw my swim time but didn't feel quite as bad after I saw that mine and most other people I asked had clocked it at 2.2k.
    I enjoyed the 3 lap run through the park too. If it's still going ahead next year I'd certainly consider giving it another shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Did the first two years so was interested to see how things went last Sunday. Numbers down about 800 since year 1 according to the results page.

It is disappointing to see full distance IM events in Norway and Estonia on the calendar for 2018...I thought the plan was to have a few years of 70.3 and then a full in / around Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sbefort

I saw yesterday that IM had the date of the 12th of August 2018 for next year but it has been taken down today and is now marked as 'TBD 2018'. 
    From my personal experience, it was a great event, the road surface may not be great and the few ramps do slow us down but I don't think there are many other places that can find a 90k route without any ramps and perfect smooth road surface (and not traffic!).

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

Sunday was a great event, organisation much better than last year I thought, rolling swim start worked really well, bike was as good as you'll ever get weather wise, admittedly bumpy as usual. I don't have a 4th 70.3 in me in Dublin but expect the race to go ahead with some changes, road closures seem to be one of the main challenges and the pope's visit (?) means park may not be a venue for the race. Maybe wicklow for the bike next year? No doubt many on here will know more. Well done everyone who took part, would be great to see it continue and to give people as much notice as possible, pulling dates already for 2018 might put people off.

Seanie_H wrote:
    No, not a full this year but very different route. Not those roads again anyways.

Will we get the route over the featherbeds (as per the 2015 promotional pictures)? I'd be first in line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

hear there is going to be few changes alright.... big climb on the cycle..... so id say Wicklow is the new route.

Have to say very well organised, can't fault anything. Roll on 2018

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

s_gr wrote: »
    hear there is going to be few changes alright.... big climb on the cycle..... so id say Wicklow is the new route.

Hope Wicklow County Council aren't out laying km's of loose chippings the few days before the race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

*sigh*

Heard the same. T1 & 2 located together.

can't fault anything

There was a time when I might have responded and said "but what about the peletons on the bike and the guys who were freewheeling past me at the back of them as I was working hard and the fact that there were no penalties handed out and....." but then you realise that nothing ever changes and Ironman just want your cash and you keep quiet about these things and you do your own race and don't worry about anyone else....

EC1000 wrote: »
    There was a time when I might have responded and said "but what about the peletons on the bike and the guys who were freewheeling past me at the back of them as I was working hard and the fact that there were no penalties handed out and....." but then you realise that nothing ever changes and Ironman just want your cash and you keep quiet about these things and you do your own race and don't worry about anyone else....

Are you implying drafting is worse at Ironman events vs. others? I thought they were T. I. officials?

Seanie_H wrote: »
    Are you implying drafting is worse at Ironman events vs. others? I thought they were T. I. officials?

No. But when you pay a premium price you expect a premium product.

Seanie_H wrote: »
    I thought they were T. I. officials?

TI are there for safety. It's up to WTC to enforce WTC rules (i.e. non drafting).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Sbefort wrote: »
    I saw yesterday that IM had the date of the 12th of August 2018 for next year but it has been taken down today and is now marked as 'TBD 2018'. 
    From my personal experience, it was a great event, the road surface may not be great and the few ramps do slow us down but I don't think there are many other places that can find a 90k route without any ramps and perfect smooth road surface (and not traffic!).

I'd say that was down to the rock and roll Dublin HM is on that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'm surprised there weren't more complaining about the drafting it was a joke altogether.

Lads I know that would be average cyclists coming in with bike splits not a mile off BMC. Not a word mentioned by them either as they knew full well.

Conditions for the swim were perfect. The pros even got a head start due to lack of water :D

Advertisement