Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures from pbs.twimg.com

Options
  • 20-10-2016 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

Anytime someone posts an image from pbs.twimg.com (possibly just twimg.com), it doesn't show up for me (the post is just empty, except for any text, if any). I know it's not my adblocker, because if I copy the image address (from the reply screen) and search directly for it, I can see it.

EG: the following picture doesn't show for me:
    CvN3qSeUEAEM708.jpg

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

What browser are you using? Shows up for me (on Chrome)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

What browser are you using? Shows up for me (on Chrome)

Firefox

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Works fine for me in FF, even in the version 50 beta.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Firefox

Hmmm, verdict is that it's not our software or servers. However, it is "weird" that you can't see it when loading it on boards. Thoughts are that it could be the hosting site (as you may have suspected yourself), your connection, or perhaps a cache issue.

Spear wrote: »
    Works fine for me in FF, even in the version 50 beta.

I checked Chrome and it does show up in that, so it's just on my Firefox (49.0.1) that it isn't being displayed.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, verdict is that it's not our software or servers. However, it is "weird" that you can't see it when loading it on boards. Thoughts are that it could be the hosting site (as you may have suspected yourself), your connection, or perhaps a cache issue.

I'm thinking it might be how my Firefox is interacting with Twitter (twimg.com is part of twitter). I also have a problem with twitter links, when I click the arrow it inverts but the tweet doesn't actually appear, e.g.:

https://twitter.com/ClonesCyclone/status/789059268104380417

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Are you blocking their cookies or anything like that, outside of Adblock?

Are you blocking their cookies or anything like that, outside of Adblock?

Not from what I can tell. I'm using uBlock Origin and there is no change with it turned off. Firefox itself has no cookies or sites blocked in the options.

A different approach then, could you install Firebug, and have its net console open and reload this page. I'd like to see the HTTP response to your request for that image above.

A different approach then, could you install Firebug, and have its net console open and reload this page. I'd like to see the HTTP response to your request for that image above.

I installed Firebug and took a screenshot of the NET tab, see below (I don't know how to export to text).
    The 2nd line (GET CvN3qSeUEAEM708.jpg) is repeated as the 7th, and when you hover over either them you get the full image address and the pop up saying the URL failed to load. Clicking on them does nothing (i.e. no drop down box appears).

• Advertisement

So it looks like your requests to twimg.com are timing out. Either by being blocked or a connectivity issue. Can you ping pbs.twimg.com?

So it looks like your requests to twimg.com are timing out. Either by being blocked or a connectivity issue. Can you ping pbs.twimg.com?

This is the result:
    C:\Users\hamil>ping pbs.twimg.com

Pinging pbs.twimg.com [192.229.233.50] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.229.233.50: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=56
    Reply from 192.229.233.50: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 192.229.233.50:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 15ms

That's going to the Edgecast CDN which distributes images for Twitter. Connectivity seems fine, and the DNS lookup is fine, so this does look to be case of your browser doing something wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

May not be related, but there is was a massive DDOS attack on DYN today - it affected Twitter, Spotify, Etsy, Github and a few other heavy hitters.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3133847/internet/ddos-attack-on-dyn-knocks-spotify-twitter-github-etsy-and-more-offline.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement