Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What 2017 Sportives to enter

Options
  • 20-10-2016 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

What sportivies would you suggest I have a look at for 2017.

I've done the Ring of Kerry and the Wicklow 200.

Was looking at the Ring of Beara but it has sold out already. Someone mentioned on another thread that the Tour de Connemara is on the same weekend and the route looks nice so will definitely be looking at it.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Hi All,

Cheers

The Tour de Burren was pretty enjoyable this year and it's well organised. Most of the An Post series cycles get good reviews on here - thinking about doing the Sligo version next year myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Anyone done the Gaelforce night sportive before?

In Dublin the Reservoir Dog and Orwell Randonee are both great events

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Crocked wrote: »
    Anyone done the Gaelforce night sportive before?

In Dublin the Reservoir Dog and Orwell Randonee are both great events

That looks very tempting indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It might be a good idea to have a sticky and event dates could be posted with links to sites.

Maybe do it in a monthly format like they do in the athletics forum for running events.

January

February

March

April

May
    Westportif Westport May 13th 80/120/160km
    Tour de Conamara May 27th

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

My absolute favourite to date is the Rebel Tour. It's probably the most challenging cycle I have done in Ireland (moreso than the WW200 I felt), and the scenery is just magnificent. Have done it twice already and i'll probably be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Iveragh is one of the best, 130 & 200 km options around some of the finest roads Ireland has too offer

Also the Donegal Bay Sportiff is the best for overall value and scenery at a mere 15€ including dinner at the end :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Also the Donegal Bay Sportiff is the best for overall value and scenery at a mere 15€ including dinner at the end :-)

April 8 for 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It might be a good idea to have a sticky and event dates could be posted with links to sites.

Maybe do it in a monthly format like they do in the athletics forum for running events.

January

February

March

April
    Naas Cc Tour de Foothills
    Gaelforce Night Sportive

May
    Westportif Westport May 13th 80/120/160km
    Tour de Conamara May 27th
    Ring of Beara

June

July
    Ring of Kerry

August

September
    Great Dublin Bike Ride

October
    Nire Valley Drop

November

December

Just added in a few that should be going ahead next year,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

The Tour de Kilkenny is a terrific day out. Well organized and a good tough cycle, definitely put it on your to do list. Its usually on the August bank holiday Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

April 8 for 2017

Same date as the Gaelforce Night Sportive :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Early doors - the SERC 3 Peaks is a great spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Anyone know if the cyclocross sportif is on again? Thought it was Navan last year. Luv to give that a crack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

stecleary wrote: »

The Cycling Ireland calendar is very handy but I think this thread is useful also to highlight the sportives that fellow boards members would recommend, the cream of the crop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Any of the Coastal routes that take in Torr Road from Cushendall to Ballycastle is worth a visit.
    There's several on every year with mostly similar routes.
    Did the Causeway Coast one this year in September but there are several others, 8k ft of climb and great scenery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Hi All,

I've done the Ring of Kerry and the Wicklow 200.

Was looking at the Ring of Beara but it has sold out already. Someone mentioned on another thread that the Tour de Connemara is on the same weekend and the route looks nice so will definitely be looking at it.

Cheers

Personally wont be bothering with the W200 this year, its not worth the money.
    My goal is to do the Maratona Dles Dolomites again in early July if lucky enough to get a spot. With that in mind, I will do the Mick Byrne 200 beforehand as training. I might start the season with Lap de Gaps, which is a nice one, and well organised and good value.
    After the Maratona (should I get in) I'll only do the ones I like and think are good value, so the SKT160 and Reservoir Dog would be on the list. Quality not quantity this year.
    I'd love to add another abroad but not sure if it will be feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

The Curlieu Wheelers put on a nice one from Boyle, Co. Roscommon every May. Its called the Lough Key Classic and takes you through some wonderful countryside and some fairly challenging hills if you are up for it and for not a lot of outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

halvis wrote: »
    The Curlieu Wheelers put on a nice one from Boyle, Co. Roscommon every May. Its called the Lough Key Classic and takes you through some wonderful countryside and some fairly challenging hills if you are up for it and for not a lot of outlay.

Usually on in May, looks like a nice route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

I enjoyed the Lap de Gaps last year - Blessington -> Sally Gap -> Laragh -> Wicklow Gap -> Blessington, about 100km, nice weather, nice scenery, very well organised. If it's going ahead again next year, I'd recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Rebel Tour in September is my favourite. Seriously challenging and Savage scenery.

Sliabh Luachra tour is also very good.

Did Tour if Kilkenny few years back and thought it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

Id recommend pencilling in the rebel tour and the Sean kelly tour of Waterford. Two great events. Both fairly challenging too. No matter how fit I am I find the Sean Kelly tour a really tough and challenging cycle, every year one of the 3 major climbs I find will really make me suffer. If powers the pot doesn't get me then Mahon falls or mama road will. The rebel is tough too, really nice route, incredible scenery and plenty of climbing with the Caha and Healy passes and ahillies too but I always suffer more on the Sean Kelly. If I only do one sportif a year it's always that one. A great day out, super organized and even though I've done it every year since 2008 I still get a buzz from it and a sense of satisfaction from getting around it. And you get to meet king Kelly also so it's all good!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

shaka wrote: »
    Rebel Tour in September is my favourite. Seriously challenging and Savage scenery.

Was there not a rumour that the Rebel tour route was changing for next year......
    Thought someone mentioned it in another post....

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

its rumoured that the base will change from Glengarriff to Kenmare

Sean Kelly route is also being looked at - 10 years old this year and the numbers down 30% - needs drastic action, felt it was very stale this year and no buzz about it, changing to the Saturday would be a massive boost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

It was mentioned in a previous post, apparently there was a 5 year agreement to stick to the Glengarriff routes which was up this year, i can't see it moving too far, if at all,it has been hugely a successful move. It took the rebel tour from being a run of the mill day out which looked like it was finished,to being one of the most highly regarded sportives in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Andalucia wrote: »
    its rumoured that the base will change from Glengarriff to Kenmare

Then it won't be the Rebel Tour starting in Kerry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Sorry, I meant Bantry - once they don't go back to the city it will be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 spudbike

Did Tour of Waterford this year and even though day was terrible the event itself struck me as a damp squib or as another poster put it "stale". No atmosphere at start or finish. Mahon falls section was closed as it was too wet. I believe this is the 2nd time this has happened recently which is a pity. I would try it again - if the weather was nice.
    Strongly recommend the Giants Causeway Sportive 182k option in Ballycaslte Antrim. While there is a few tough long climbs throughout the day those last 15k are the ridiculously tough - 4 STEEP climbs one after another. Tougher than anything on Wicklow 200
    Recommed Curlieu Wheelers Lough Key Challenge too. Sligo An Post is a lovely route - not over challenging

Advertisement