Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What 2017 Sportives to enter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

spudbike wrote:
    Did Tour of Waterford this year and even though day was terrible the event itself struck me as a damp squib or as another poster put it "stale". No atmosphere at start or finish. Mahon falls section was closed as it was too wet. I believe this is the 2nd time this has happened recently which is a pity. I would try it again - if the weather was nice. Strongly recommend the Giants Causeway Sportive 182k option in Ballycaslte Antrim. While there is a few tough long climbs throughout the day those last 15k are the ridiculously tough - 4 STEEP climbs one after another. Tougher than anything on Wicklow 200 Recommed Curlieu Wheelers Lough Key Challenge too. Sligo An Post is a lovely route - not over challenging

Ah yes. Torr Road with 100 miles down. Always fun. Weather can be nasty but 2016 had a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Did heaps of sportives over the last couple of years as prep for the Marmotte: would highly recommend The Orwell Randonnee, The Mick Byrne 200, the tour de Kilkenny, The Reservoir Dog. Tough events, really well organised. Haven't done the Gran Fondo Norn Iron but as 2017 is the last one it's definitely on my to do list.

As I'm based in Wexford I also did the Blackstairs Challenge, The Mt. Leinster Challenge and the 1.5 ride: all great events too and all with at least one climb of Mt. Leinster (the Blackstairs Challenge, and Mt. Leinster challenge long routes both climb Mt. Leinster twice), all including from the Corrabutt side which is decent prep for alpine climbs- only MUCH shorter!

I haven't done any Ulster or Connaught based events yet nor have I done the Rebel Tour so that limits my frame of reference somewhat.

Was hoping to do an overseas one again this year but haven't found one yet that fits in with work and family commitments.

rb

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Red Belly wrote: »
    Did heaps of sportives over the last couple of years as prep for the Marmotte: would highly recommend The Orwell Randonnee, The Mick Byrne 200, the tour de Kilkenny, The Reservoir Dog. Tough events, really well organised. Haven't done the Gran Fondo Norn Iron but as 2017 is the last one it's definitely on my to do list.

Would defo recommend the 2 highlighted above, Lap de Gaps isn't a bad one either, have enjoyed the Sean Kelly Tour in the past as well as the Tour of Louth. If you fancy trying 200km the Audax crew are a great bunch and have a number of 200's some fairly flat, others tortuous.....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭goldenboots

+1 on Orwell Randonee and Mick Byrne 200. Both excellent events and very well organised. The Mick Byrne is a hard, hard day in the saddle (not that the Orwell isn't) and if you don't like climbing, stay away.

The Lap de Gaps is a good early season sportive and the Pedal the Peaks (Pat Colgan) in July/August is really good.

Used to love the 2 or 3-day Tour of Kerry on the June long weekend but it seems to have been abandoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Hi All,

What sportivies would you suggest I have a look at for 2017.

I've done the Ring of Kerry and the Wicklow 200.

Was looking at the Ring of Beara but it has sold out already. Someone mentioned on another thread that the Tour de Connemara is on the same weekend and the route looks nice so will definitely be looking at it.

Cheers

Resevoir Dog was the best I did last summer.
    Did LapDeGaps, W200, Mick Byrne 160, Tour De Kilkenny, Sean Kelly Tour 160.
    Only one I'd not be keen on this year would be W200, and the Tour De Kilkenny was a bit of a nondescript route imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Really enjoyed the Reservoir Dog but the best of the year IMO goes to the Donegal Bay Sportif, not just for the value but the welcome, scenery, food and great chat going round.
    Toughest and most rewarding was the Mick Byrne 200 - not often you get the main organiser driving the route and giving encouragement on the tough sections. The W200 and Sean Kelly were a bit anti-climatic after that. The Tour de Foothills is always a good early season spin.
    Roll on 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Really enjoyed the Reservoir Dog but the best of the year IMO goes to the Donegal Bay Sportif, not just for the value but the welcome, scenery, food and great chat going round.

thanks a lot, everyone involved loves to hear the great feedback we get from participants.
    this year
    08/04/2017 Saturday Ulster Donegal Bay Spring Sportive 2017 Donegal Bay Cycling Club St.John Bosco Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

I plan on doing tour de Connemara in may.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Also tour of louth on the first Sunday in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Just booked hotel and will be my third time making the trip up ☺

thanks a lot, everyone involved loves to hear the great feedback we get from participants.
    this year
    08/04/2017 Saturday Ulster Donegal Bay Spring Sportive 2017 Donegal Bay Cycling Club St.John Bosco Centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

great stuff the calendar is filling up

I did a few doubles: Orwell Randonnee followed by Slieve Bloom Challenge, one of the west: the Tour de Conamara on the saturday followed by getting to Ballyhaunis for the Tour of Mayo, then in August a double up north - the Billy Kerr Memorial followed by getting to Derry for the Inishowen100.

Im looking for novel combinations though next yr - any suggestions? ideally both days being 150-160km

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

eoghan84 wrote: »
    Im looking for novel combinations though next yr - any suggestions? ideally both days being 150-160km

The Boards Evil followed by the WW200 the day after as a relaxed warm down ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

eoghan84 wrote: »
    great stuff the calendar is filling up

I did a few doubles: Orwell Randonnee followed by Slieve Bloom Challenge, one of the west: the Tour de Conamara on the saturday followed by getting to Ballyhaunis for the Tour of Mayo, then in August a double up north - the Billy Kerr Memorial followed by getting to Derry for the Inishowen100.

If you really want something to think about, then try the Martin Earley Tour of Kildare and the Stephen Roche Leinster Loop - the same day. 20 miles apart. August 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I've an early registration code for the tour de connemara if anyone is interested drop me a pm and ill mail it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

If possible I would wait until the week of a sportive before signing up to it so I can get an idea of what the weather on the day is going to be like (not possible for the more in-demand events I know). 5 or 6 hours cycling in cold rain is not much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The Jagged Edge in Crosshaven was a very tough day , but enjoyable one last year .
    As was the Gran Fondo in Clare - Change of name , and reversing the route for that this year.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

going to do the stephen roche atlantic challenge, then the ride mallorca 312 in april - with the mount leinster challenge, then the gran fond NI, the tour of kilkenny and then the rebel tour
    the stephen roche and the grand fondo are new for me next year- did the others this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

The Reservoir Dog was an event I really enjoyed this year. I'd covered 70% of the route in training as I am local to the area but that 30% was nice little surprise.

If you have never ridden the Wicklow mountains then it would be a real treat. Tough course, good gang riding it, nice medal, finish start and finish in Rossborough House was fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I'm focussing on racing this year but still definitely going to do the Mount Leinster Challenge and Mick Byrne. Really enjoyed them both last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No real aims for me this Sportive season but I won't be doing the Sean Kelly 160km, once every 2/3 years is enough for that I feel.

I have entered the Ride London 100 and the Tour of Kilkenny is something to do late in the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Just signed up for Tour de Connemara so that's one definitely for the calender

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Signed up for the:
    Stephen Roche Atlantic Challenge
    Ring of Beara
    Ring of Clare (formally Gran Fondo Hibernia)

Will have to pass on the Beara one as Santa brought tickets to GnR's, going to try get in the ROK instead,

Plan to do 4 days of CAS, Roscommon to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Signed up for:
    - Stephen Roche Atlantic Challenge... it's free; and I've done it a couple of times before and the weather has been shít, so hoping for something a bit better this year!
    - Tour de Conamara... have done it 3 times before I think. Well organised event (it should be since it's a 'premium' sportive) and the scenery is stunning (if the weather plays ball)

I will sign up for:
    - Croí Tour de Lough Corrib
    - Tour de Kilkenny

Hopefully will do a few more, preferably away from Galway/Clare.

Has anyone done the Wrong Way Round or Hard Way Round Ring of Kerry in August/September, ive done the July cycle a couple of times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I've done the wrong way around and it's tough but manageable. The hard way around on the other hand is fairly brutal, not just the extra kilometers but the increased gradients, definitely only for the hardiest of cyclists. Even on the website it cautions not to be taken lightly.

I've done the wrong way around and it's tough but manageable. The hard way around on the other hand is fairly brutal, not just the extra kilometers but the increased gradients, definitely only for the hardiest of cyclists. Even on the website it cautions not to be taken lightly.

I'm being pressured into doing the hard way round.... I may start training

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    The Reservoir Dog was an event I really enjoyed this year. I'd covered 70% of the route in training as I am local to the area but that 30% was nice little surprise.

If you have never ridden the Wicklow mountains then it would be a real treat. Tough course, good gang riding it, nice medal, finish start and finish in Rossborough House was fab.

Glad you enjoyed the Reservoir Dog Sportive Arthurdaly. Just to confirm that the date for the 2017 Reservoir Dog is Sunday 3rd September. We haven't updated our event website yet but we plan to re- launch the website for online entries in the next few weeks. Watch this space.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 2old4this

Agreed on the scenery of Rebel tour, but in my opinion Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford is harder.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Sportives that I'd like to do and ones that I'll actually get my ass into gear to do this year are two very different lists. Not driving or being a club member can make getting organised for events outside Dublin and Wicklow a bit of a chore, but I've always enjoyed cycling beyond the pale and would hope to get a few in. The Burren, Iveragh, Beara and Mayo lakes are all favourite cycling spots which I'll make an effort to get to. Have done five of the last seven WW200s so might ditch that this year and give the Evil a blast, although given my pace and weight this will likely be a solo effort covering about half the course. Reservoir Dog is a definite after last year, and will try to get to the Orwell Randonee again even though work has got in the way the last couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

My personal favourite is the Rebel Tour which will probably be the 2nd weekend of September. Maybe the best scenery you will ever see from a bike and the 160km is quite a challenge.

Advertisement