Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What 2017 Sportives to enter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

I've signed up for the Stephen Roche Atlantic Challenge and the Tour de Conamara (but I'm not 100% sure I'll make it yet).

I'll also do Tour de Burren and I'm thinking of the Rebel tour.

I've never done a sportive on the east coast so I'd love to do one this year. Any recommendations? Want to keep it around the 100km mark if possible. I really pushed myself and did massive distances last year and to be honest I was burnt from it by the end of the summer and my back/hip suffered badly over the winter. Only really getting back on the bike again after a few months of hit and miss cycling. So this year I'm going to pull it right back and just enjoy leisure cycling again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Looking for something in the dublin or donegal areas for march, between 100-150km, any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

BailMeOut wrote: »
    My personal favourite is the Rebel Tour which will probably be the 2nd weekend of September. Maybe the best scenery you will ever see from a bike and the 160km is quite a challenge.

I thought the route was changing of the Rebel Tour after five years on the Beara peninsula. Has anyone heard anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 2old4this

I would usually do Stephen Roche Tour de Cure in May. It starts in Midleton. Can't find anything about a 2017 edition, is this now gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

retalivity wrote: »
    Looking for something in the dublin or donegal areas for march, between 100-150km, any thoughts?

If you could stretch March to the 8th April, check out post #38. The Tour de Foothills from Naas is on the following day. If it has to be March, watch out for info on the Haul de Naul. It was early in the month last year and started from Swords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    A very full list here.....

....but missing the Wicklow 200 (11th June) and the Reservoir Dog (3rd September).

The CI Leisure Calendar has filled up a good bit too:
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/events/events-calendar/leisure-events

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

eoghan84 wrote: »
    I thought the route was changing of the Rebel Tour after five years on the Beara peninsula. Has anyone heard anything yet?

Rumours about Bantry being the new starting point, not confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Rumours about Bantry being the new starting point, not confirmed.

There are incredible routes west of Bantry but I'd say they'd be too rural for a large event like this. Lee Valley Wheelers do an event in Set/Oct in the area called Trasna na Gleannta that is ridiculously beautiful and tough.

I was disappointed to see that the Tour du Connemara is on the same weekend as the Ring of Beara, as I had intended to do both, and the Wicklow clashes with the Great Galway Bike Ride, which seems like a nice spin.

Does anyone know if the Etape Connemara will go ahead in 2017?
    http://etapeconnemara.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Does anyone know if the Etape Connemara will go ahead in 2017?
    http://etapeconnemara.ie/

I'd be amazed if it wasn't going ahead. It's a big fundraiser for the charity Croí along with the Tour de Lough Corrib. They probably won't publish dates & details until later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

This to start the season:

02/04/2017 Sunday Leinster SERC 3 peaks challenge South-East Road Club Arklow Rocks GAA club

And the Resevoir Dog to end it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Well, first one entered. Orwell Randonee. Should be a good indication of how I'll fare in the Mick Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

If you could stretch March to the 8th April, check out post #38. The Tour de Foothills from Naas is on the following day. If it has to be March, watch out for info on the Haul de Naul. It was early in the month last year and started from Swords.

Haul D'Naul is on this Sunday, first time doing it but have enjoyed spins out that way before. Weather doesn't look too bad but might be a headwind from Balbriggan > Naul > Swords. Very slight chance of rain so as long as that holds off it should be a nice enough day.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

412020.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Iwernia wrote: »
    412020.jpg

15 bucks,super scenery and a schpud afterwards.
    seems like a great sportive & heard great things about it!
    i will be making the drive from Loughrea!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

seanin4711 wrote: »
    15 bucks,super scenery and a schpud afterwards.
    seems like a great sportive & heard great things about it!
    i will be making the drive from Loughrea!
    ...and they have a new poster boy! :o

https://www.facebook.com/donegaltowncyclingclub/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

After reading that I'm trying to remember where I put a nice Magee jumper I have :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Well look at you all aero and not in the boards kit.. tut tut :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

After reading that I'm trying to remember where I put a nice Magee jumper I have :D

Merino Base layer

• Advertisement

py wrote: »
    Haul D'Naul is on this Sunday, first time doing it but have enjoyed spins out that way before. Weather doesn't look too bad but might be a headwind from Balbriggan > Naul > Swords. Very slight chance of rain so as long as that holds off it should be a nice enough day.

Forgot to do a follow up to this. I got out there early for sign on and set off solo and stayed that way for the whole way round. Signs were very visible for turns with only a few potholes noticed on the way in and out of Skerries. Encountered minimal traffic along the route as it was a Sunday morning. As expected, wind was a factor from Balbriggan to Naul but got around the 70Km in under 2hrs20mins so happy enough with the effort I put in, may have been quicker if I had the shelter of a group. Thankfully rain stayed away and temperature was not cold but not warm. Really good spread when I arrived back and a good hot cup of tea to boot. For the money it was a good value sportive and also supported a great cause (down syndrome Ireland). It's definitely something I'll be looking at again next year as it's early enough in the year to the distance (including out and back) in the legs before the climbing sportives (WW200/Orwell Randonnee/Reservoir Dog) come alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Techo

My list for the year

Vee Valley Challenge if it's on, usually first weekend in April...can't see it listed yet...maybe Lap of Laois if no VVC (02/04)
    Tour De Foothills (09/04)
    Lap De Gaps (13/05)
    Wicklow 200 (11/06)
    Gortnahoe/Glengoole 100 (25/06)
    Ring of Kerry (01/07)
    Cycle for Crumlin Kilcullen (22/07)

Was planning Tour of Kildare and then Leinster Loop but see schedule changed and now both are on the same day (13/08)..madness considering it'll appeal to the same people...prob not going to do either now cos of holidays

Might finish off with the Tour of Waterford on 20th of August.

Be delighted to get them all done..but need to spin the pedals a bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Techo wrote: »
    My list for the year

Vee Valley Challenge if it's on, usually first weekend in April...can't see it listed yet...maybe Lap of Laois if no VVC (02/04)
    Lap De Gaps (13/05)
    Wicklow 200 (11/06)
    Gortnahoe/Glengoole 100 (25/06)
    Ring of Kerry (01/07)

Was planning Tour of Kildare and then Leinster Loop but see schedule changed and now both are on the same day (13/08)..madness considering it'll appeal to the same people...prob not going to do either now cos of holidays

Might finish off with the Tour of Waterford on 20th of August.

Be delighted to get them all done..but need to spin the pedals a bit more!

Vee Valley Challenge was a sufferfest for me last year, first major Sportive and punctured after 20km then lost contact with the main group.
    Slow and tough day in the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

That lad deserves a FREE ENTRY, lovely photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Sean Kelly Tour 2017 - major changes to the route.

No Mahon Falls , No Mama Road.
    So instead you get a few draggy , lumpy roads, and a 3km climb of 5-7%, along with the usual two climbs of Tickincor and the Nire.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Techo wrote: »
    Lap De Gaps (13/05)
    Wicklow 200 (11/06)

...Tour of Kildare...

These are on my list for this year too with Tour de Foothills the only one I've not done before. I enjoyed all the others last year even if the WW200 was long day with the initial part being wet. Cycle for Crumlin was a good day out with the folks from Kilcullen Cycling Club setting a solid pace throughout the 100Km.

Orwell Ranndonee and Cycle Against Suicide are also both booked with the former looking like it's going to be the toughest on my calendar ... unless I make the Mick Byrne 160/200.

I'm hoping to add in Great Dublin Bike Ride (24th Sept), Reservoir Dog (early Sept I believe), Wicklow Peaks (25th June) and maybe an audax (either MB160/200 or Midlands 300).

Heritage tour of Meath was a good one last year too though the weather early in the was wet so was a tough day till the main food stop at ~100Km. It was good value with a jersey included.

Would love to get to some events outside of Leinster and even Ireland but family commitments limit time away.

Iwernia wrote: »
    That lad deserves a FREE ENTRY, lovely photo.

Thanks. In fairness to WA, he did set it up and got the pose right. Funny enough, I don't remember seeing him in the aero tuck too often that day!

Hope to get to:
    Tour de Foothills
    Orwell Randonée
    Wicklow Peaks
    Mick Byrne 200
    Hospice Porto to Lisbon Cycle
    Reservoir Dog
    and maybe Sean Kelly or the Rebel Tour.
    Can't get to Donegal this year unfortunately but maybe something in the West or in Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Thanks. In fairness to WA, he did set it up and got the pose right. Funny enough, I don't remember seeing him in the aero tuck too often that day!

Hope to get to:
    Tour de Foothills
    Orwell Randonée
    Wicklow Peaks
    Mick Byrne 200
    Hospice Porto to Lisbon Cycle
    Reservoir Dog
    and maybe Sean Kelly or the Rebel Tour.
    Can't get to Donegal this year unfortunately but maybe something in the West or in Clare.

I just signed up for the cliffs of moher cycle challenge on april 8th, looks a lovely route and after cycling there while on holidays in lahinch last year, it caught my eye.
    Whens the porto-lisbon one on? My gf is from lisbon, she'd probably let me away to do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

greenspurs wrote: »
    Sean Kelly Tour 2017 - major changes to the route.

No Mahon Falls , No Mama Road.
    So instead you get a few draggy , lumpy roads, and a 3km climb of 5-7%, along with the usual two climbs of Tickincor and the Nire.

Well thatll be the death of that one imho. H&S sticking its oar in again no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

terrydel wrote: »
    Well thatll be the death of that one imho. H&S sticking its oar in again no doubt.

Much the same opinion. A real pity tbh.

Advertisement