Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What 2017 Sportives to enter

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

dahat wrote: »
    Much the same opinion. A real pity tbh.

Yeah, it is (or was) a great route, loved the 3 times Ive done it. This will water it down massively. Id not be bothered again if those changes transpire.

Anyone know when entry to the mick byrne 200 opens up?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

terrydel wrote: »
    Yeah, it is (or was) a great route, loved the 3 times Ive done it. This will water it down massively. Id not be bothered again if those changes transpire.

It's no more than a tough Sunday Spin now. Mahon Falls was the real cherry for that Sportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

dahat wrote: »
    It's no more than a tough Sunday Spin now. Mahon Falls was the real cherry for that Sportive.

As far as I know numbers were falling for the cycle so they decided to freshen things up.

It's a tricky situation for these big cycles (An Post/Sport Ireland sportives)
    There at the more expensive end as far as sportives go - for locals there's other cheaper options during the year to take part in and to attract people from other counties there's no point having the same route every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Whens the porto-lisbon one on? My gf is from lisbon, she'd probably let me away to do that!

Starts from Porto on 26th June and finishes in Lisbon on the 30th. Some great climbing over the first three days including the option of Torre (1993m), highest on mainland Portugal, on the Wednesday morning. After that it's mainly downhill to the coast and on to to Lisbon.

flzrzb.jpg

Raising nearly €2000 sponsorship for the Hospice Nurses for Night Care service is part of the challenge but if you can get a local shopping centre to let you collect, it's pretty straightforward.

More details here http://hospicefoundation.ie/fundraising/events/the-ihf-cycle-challenge-2017/

• Advertisement

Anyone know when entry to the mick byrne 200 opens up?

Usually in May I think but keep an eye on the Sorrento CC website.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

marvin80 wrote: »
    As far as I know numbers were falling for the cycle so they decided to freshen things up.

It's a tricky situation for these big cycles (An Post/Sport Ireland sportives)
    There at the more expensive end as far as sportives go - for locals there's other cheaper options during the year to take part in and to attract people from other counties there's no point having the same route every year.

Also a less testing route will attract more people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Starts from Porto on 26th June and finishes in Lisbon on the 30th. Some great climbing over the first three days including the option of Torre (1993m), highest on mainland Portugal, on the Wednesday morning. After that it's mainly downhill to the coast and on to to Lisbon.

flzrzb.jpg

Raising nearly €2000 sponsorship for the Hospice Nurses for Night Care service is part of the challenge but if you can get a local shopping centre to let you collect, it's pretty straightforward.

More details here http://hospicefoundation.ie/fundraising/events/the-ihf-cycle-challenge-2017/

That sounds like a beautiful cycle to do with the sun on your back. Great way to see a place.

That sounds like a beautiful cycle to do with the sun on your back. Great way to see a place.

And you get a chance to out-sprint or out-climb Paul Kimmage (as long as you don't mention LA) 🤐

And you get a chance to out-sprint or out-climb Paul Kimmage (as long as you don't mention LA) 🤐

The size of him these days I'd be very disappointed if I couldn't do both. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

And you get a chance to out-sprint or out-climb Paul Kimmage (as long as you don't mention LA) ðŸ€

Imagine the fun if you offered him a Tramadol or a swig of your cough bottle as you passed by him :D

The size of him these days I'd be very disappointed if I couldn't do both. :D

Having tried, I'd be very surprised if you could do either (especially so if he has seen your comment). Sign up and find out!

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Imagine the fun if you offered him a Tramadol or a swig of your cough bottle as you passed by him :D

On the Genoa to Rome Hospice Cycle, his regular order at the coffee stops was a doppio. That raised a few eyebrows until we twigged it was a double espresso:)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tifosi

Tour de Cure Midleton for 2017, has this event gone now, haven't seen any postings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

The Kinsale Cycle Challenge has been moved to 15th July 2017.

http://www.kinsale.ie/event/kinsale-cycle-challenge-2017

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Tifosi wrote: »
    Tour de Cure Midleton for 2017, has this event gone now, haven't seen any postings?

Nothing which is strange, online registration usually starts in January. For anyone in Cork the Jagged tour takes place around the same time of the year out of Crosshaven, 2 routes around West Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Just got a notification for SRAC. Has anyone done it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There was a short thread regarding it a few years ago:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89635271

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Just got a notification for SRAC. Has anyone done it before?

Yes, I have travelled across to do it each year ... great event .

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

greenspurs wrote: »
    Yes, I have travelled across to do it each year ... great event .

I'll be travelling myself so hopefully the weather plays ball. I still have nightmares from my last spin down that way TDB 2015 it was a cold wet day.

What's the craic with the jerseys/gilets I feel bad taking a free entry and not putting anything toward the charity. How much are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Yes, we've had a few really windy wet days up there, we must be owed a calm sunny day !!
    €40 for the (very nice) jersey ,

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭alexinkildare

Whats SRAC??

DOH !! Found it !! Stephen Roche Atlantic Challenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bloch

I'm planning to do a couple of sportives and would like a list of them all. This one at Cycling Ireland looks good, but doesn't have the Wicklow 200 - one of the best known ones!
    Why does it not mention it,and are there others left out of this list.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/events/events-calendar-2016/leisure-events

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bloch wrote: »
    ...Why does it not mention it,and are there others left out of this list...
    The WW200 is run by the IVCA - a rival organisation to CI. You probably wouldn't see CI organised events being advertised by the IVCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bloch

The WW200 is run by the IVCA - a rival organisation to CI. You probably wouldn't see CI organised events being advertised by the IVCA.

The person who posted the list said "No need to build a calednar lads" so I thought it was a straight-forward list of all significant sportives.

Perhaps there is some 'politics' involved that I'm not aware of.

Advertisement