Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The building on Chapel st beside the pawn brokers

Options
  • 20-10-2016 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

I have never seen this building ever occupied or open anyone know anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you mean Capel Street? There have been multiple pawnbrokers there so hard to get a reference. Or Cathedral Street? Which definitely used to have one. Or Church Street?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

109 Capel Street? It's apartments above. I've never seen any business in the ground floor retail space.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

You must mean Capel St OP. As far as I know it's just apartments there. Capel St has gone through a lot of changes in the past 20 years. It used to be full of hardware stores and is now packed with ethnic eateries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I used to have a shop across the road and was told it used to be a pub and closed around ~2000.

• Advertisement

jimmii wrote: »
    I used to have a shop across the road and was told it used to be a pub and closed around ~2000.
    I have never seen a business operate out of that building since the mid 80,s

Hootanany wrote: »

Does look like it's been closed a long time alright. It was an old dub type so when they said 15 years it could have been 50!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

That building's only been there since the mid-1990s. Company records show there was a Vinny's Cottage Restaurant registered at the location until the late '80s.

BeerNut wrote: »
    That building's only been there since the mid-1990s. Company records show there was a Vinny's Cottage Restaurant registered at the location until the late '80s.

I think I broke google I tried this
    Vinny's Cottage Restaurant 109 Capel St and hot images of burgers a people on bikes WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

jimmii wrote: »

Don't think there was ever a pub there. I remember a cafe back in the late early 80s....many a greasy breakfast I had in it.

• Advertisement

not yet wrote: »
    Don't think there was ever a pub there. I remember a cafe back in the late early 80s....many a greasy breakfast I had in it.

So it was a cafe?

So it was a cafe?

Yeah, A lifetime ago, real greasy spoon place.

not yet wrote: »
    Yeah, A lifetime ago, real greasy spoon place.

It always seemed to be getting done up . Landlord must be crazy not renting out downstairs in a prime area.

It always seemed to be getting done up . Landlord must be crazy not renting out downstairs in a prime area.

Yeah, I find that very strange..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Dolly's, a restaurant, was there in 1986 according to Thom's.

spurious wrote: »
    Dolly's, a restaurant, was there in 1986 according to Thom's.

That's it, Dollys...ah the memories..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

But but but, we just had a thread about there being no restaurants in Dublin in the 80s? :pac:

L1011 wrote: »
    But but but, we just had a thread about there being no restaurants in Dublin in the 80s? :pac:

Go over the river? Are you mad!

Advertisement