Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting hired seems to be impossible

Options
  • 20-10-2016 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi,

I don't really know if anyone can give some advice but anyway,

I've just turned 21, and I haven't really worked more than a few weeks total. Now, don't get me wrong I apply for any job that pops up within my fields of interest or something I'm fairly sure I could get, but I'm always met with a "sorry no" or just no response at all. Recently I've had interviews for sales in Eir store and Eishtec, both said no. I've applied for in the last few months 15 jobs total in Cafés and Supermarkets and haven't heard back or was turned down.

I left school quite early because of severe bullying and even though I do these days write that I finished school etc, it doesn't seem to help. There's a huge emphasis on experience but I can't gain it when no one offers it. I don't even think it's possible to do work experience without being in school or what not so I just don't know what to do? I know I'm not the only one who's been in this position, but I need to do something. I don't want to be unemployed forever and be some kind of embarrassment to my wife and child because it's honestly how I feel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

Mr.S wrote: »
    HCL call centre (eir/meteor) tend to hire anyone, worth having a look.

It's not the most glamorous of jobs, but good incentives to do well and gives good customer service experience.

Just keep applying to places. Over and over. Have someone look at your CV to make sure there are no red flags. 15 jobs can be applied to in ~30 mins. Step it up a bit.

Consider doing FETAC courses to bulk up your education / cv.

Not a lot I can do with jobs in Dublin I don't drive because I can't afford insurance and I live in wexford. The education aspect doesn't seem to make it difficult it's the experience or lack thereof. But I'll get someone to look at my CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Not a lot I can do with jobs in Dublin I don't drive because I can't afford insurance and I live in wexford. The education aspect doesn't seem to make it difficult it's the experience or lack thereof. But I'll get someone to look at my CV.

Ask the department to put you forward for one of the local job clubs. They will help you with your CV, linked in profile, interview techniques etc.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Jobs-Clubs.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's also who you know.

If there anyone from your family, or anyone you know through hobbies / clubs / neighbourhood, etc who works in a place where you think "I could do that"? Ask them to put in a good word for you.

Also, look at some voluntary work, eg in a charity shop. You can get experience that way. Even if they don't have a sign up saying they're looking for volunteers, just go in (when it's quiet, of course) and chat to the staff - ask them how they got to work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pillphil

What's your field of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

15 job applicatIons isn't that many. I agree that you need to be applying for more than that- aim for 15 per week to start with. Does your town centre have a volunteer centre? Galway has one, they coordinate all the available voluntary jobs - a great way to get experience. Can you do an evening course while you are job hunting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

This time of year warehouses and delivery companies (not just for driving) are looking for extra staff. Same with retail - larger stores look for "stores" people. Some simply want evening/ night shelf packers.

Look for a temping agency in your area. - Sometimes they just need someone to cover at short notice.

Build up experience and after a while you'll find an area you like.

Possibly look at what evening courses are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

How have you never been on a placement or jobs bridge?

If you were 18, you would have more chance of getting employed with no experience. But you're 21 and any employer will look at you and ask "what have you been doing".
    Go and volunteer anywhere that will take you.

15 job applicatIons isn't that many. I agree that you need to be applying for more than that- aim for 15 per week to start with. Does your town centre have a volunteer centre? Galway has one, they coordinate all the available voluntary jobs - a great way to get experience. Can you do an evening course while you are job hunting?

It's as many jobs that have come up in Enniscorthy and wexford, some of which I'm barely qualifed for at all but I chanced it anyway, I cna only apply for whats there

pillphil wrote: »
    What's your field of interest?

Kitchen or Cafe. Its where I've most experience but Wales, retail etc is all good

Mr.S wrote: »
    No harm in applying though.

What field do you want to get into?

Have you approached local businesses asking if you can work for 1-2 days unpaid just to build up experience? Yeah it sucks working for free, but if you have no experience and not having any luck with jobs, then it's better than nothing.

Yup! They've said no. I can't see why, they get a staff for 2days for free.

• Advertisement

Kitchen or Cafe. Its where I've most experience but Wales, retail etc is all good

I think Róthar run a voluntary cafe. You could volunteer there for a while and pad out your cv a bit?

I think Róthar run a voluntary cafe. You could volunteer there for a while and pad out your cv a bit?

Who's that?

Sorry, 12 months living here and I automatically assume everyone lives in Dublin.

My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Lake region medical new Ross have an open day in the Brandon this weekend afaik , ring and ask !

Sorry, 12 months living here and I automatically assume everyone lives in Dublin.

My bad.

It's okay! I'll keep an eye for any cafes that look sparsly staffed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

There is some kind of call center ,in Sinnotstown Lane ,Drinagh .4 km out of Wexford town towards rosslare .They have a large number of people working on a 24 hour rota.Might be worth trying .I was told that they have a high turn over of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I've just googled Wexford Volunteer and a few different opportunities pop up- from animal rescue centre to festival to water safety. Get yourself out and about doing one of these and it will give you valuable experience to put on your cv. If you want to stick with cafe experience then look for cafe run by special needs charity (not sure if one it your area). - I'm sure they'd be glad of a helping hand.

anto9 wrote: »
    There is some kind of call center ,in Sinnotstown Lane ,Drinagh .4 km out of Wexford town towards rosslare .They have a large number of people working on a 24 hour rota.Might be worth trying .I was told that they have a high turn over of staff.

I'll look into it. Thanks :)

I've just googled Wexford Volunteer and a few different opportunities pop up- from animal rescue centre to festival to water safety. Get yourself out and about doing one of these and it will give you valuable experience to put on your cv. If you want to stick with cafe experience then look for cafe run by special needs charity (not sure if one it your area). - I'm sure they'd be glad of a helping hand.

Cheers :) will have a look

Thanks for all the advice so far it's very much appreciated :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement