Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam center

Options
  • 20-10-2016 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm trying to decide if I should sit my exams in my own school or apply to sit it in another exam center? I go to a grinds school and I'm worried that this will affect the marking of my exams. I've heard from students in my school that they've decided to sit the exams in a different exam center because their papers would be corrected with everyone else's from that center and so they would be above average and get a higher grade than if it were marked along with all of the grind school papers? Is this true? Do all subjects work off of a bell curve? I also don't want to sit it in an outside center incase I decide to view my scripts I wouldn't have my teacher with me? Does anyone have any advice on which to pick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Maacct is wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide if I should sit my exams in my own school or apply to sit it in another exam center? I go to a grinds school and I'm worried that this will affect the marking of my exams. I've heard from students in my school that they've decided to sit the exams in a different exam center because their papers would be corrected with everyone else's from that center and so they would be above average and get a higher grade than if it were marked along with all of the grind school papers? Is this true? Do all subjects work off of a bell curve? I also don't want to sit it in an outside center incase I decide to view my scripts I wouldn't have my teacher with me? Does anyone have any advice on which to pick

I've corrected before and I've never really grouped a batch envelope together with a 'profile in mind'. Each paper is on it's own merits. Even while I'm correcting a batch I have other papers in the back of my mind that I can mentally refer to (or reread!). I'm conscious of that the situation where you could have a class of messers and one or two very diligent students who try their best so I wouldn't let the other lot colour my grading on that paper. Similarly you could have 4 different classes/teachers in the one exam hall so it'd be pointless to 'profile' them.

Also, there are checks and balances where you send of a corrected cross section sample across all the papers at the very start, and your advisor will tell you what your grading should be. this forces you to think of all the students and each individual if you know what I mean.

You might even get a batch with 'rote learned' answers but you still have to correct each on it's on merits as if no other similar paper exists. Maybe just try and make your answers your own as opposed to learning off essays (although if it's definitions for science etc then stick to the script!)

So I wouldn't worry what others are doing. Do what's most comfortable for you and play your own game. Do talk to someone in your school about it though if it's niggling you, I'd say they've corrected themselves so they'd know the story and heard it all before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

This sickens me when I see grind school students go grade shopping, and seem to think that students in regular schools are not as clever so their paper will shine among them and they will get a higher mark.

You are marked according to the marking scheme, not according to the other papers in your centre. You will get the same grade if you sit it in a grind school or in a state funded school. :mad:

It also sickens me to think that students are willing to pay €7k for a private education for the year, contribute nothing to the life of a state funded school but want to use all their facilities to suit themselves for the Leaving Cert. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I'd be interested to know if the other schools your friends are talking about will let them sit their exams there. Is this confirmed Op?

Having a former (or unknown extern) student come back to sit the LC wouldn't go down well with anyone. (I've had to ring around before for a student looking for a centre and generally meet with a definite no way).

Advertisement