Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One to one

Options
  • 20-10-2016 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hey

I have my annual one to one with my manager.

Any advice on how to handle this.

I am paid quite well jobs satisfaction is great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

What do you want from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Joe Hill

Senna wrote: »
    What do you want from it?

I don't want nothing.

I've a small bit of insecurity in my head but I am happy out in the role.

Id like things to stay the same.

And my boss is a really nice person...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

In most companies, these are 'tick the box' exercises. Neither the reviewer or reviewee actually want to be there. It's a chore that has to be done.

If everything is grand, just make some generic comments.

My performance has been solid/has even got better. Give examples, like growth... metrics.... targets hit.

Really like the team. We work well together.

I get positive feedback from peers, customers, etc. Would welcome any opportunity to broaden my horizons and get a taste of different aspects of the business.

Appreciate your continued support as a manager.

If it's a tricky or negative conversation, that's a different kettle of fish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Honestly if you have good satisfaction with your job and happy with your pay, maybe jot down a few points about how the year has been and any opportunities in terms of training etc you'd like to pursue.

If you think your manager has been happy with your performance, then this should be fairly straight forward.

If however you think there may be some performance issues raised, write down areas you think that you've done well on and where you may need to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Any positive comments from customers note them and include them. Anything measurable, such as I reduced the time to do X by Y note them. Identify any areas you'd like additional training in.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback all.

Will update you on how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If however you think there may be some performance issues raised, write down areas you think that you've done well on and where you may need to improve.

Do this even if you don't think there will be any problems.

Work out what training, coaching or development opportunities you would like over the next year.

Also work out if you think you deserve a pay rise, and put your case for this - in terms of what increased value you've brought to the company.

If your manager doesn't already offer it, ask for feedback about what you've done well in their eyes, and what they would like you to do differently. (That said - you should be trying to have this sort of conversation informally at least every month or two - no point in waiting until the end of the year to find out that they want you to behave differently!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

What industry? Is this your first one to one? Perhaps a colleague could give you some pointers for the meeting.

beardo81 wrote: »
    What industry? Is this your first one to one? Perhaps a colleague could give you some pointers for the meeting.

Finance role ..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It's nice to see a post in here where someone is actually happy with their lot in work.

I'd pass on the sentiments of your OP to your boss along with positives and what training and development you would like to do in the coming year as suggested above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement