Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead | Season 7 | Episode 1 | The Day Will Come [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

molloyjh wrote: »
    You obviously didn't like the show before tuning in though. So my point remains every bit as valid

I loved the first few seasons, mentioned that in my first post. By rights I should still love TWD, that's one of the things that irks me about it - I love all things zombie related, the horror genre, tv shows with big budgets and the production values that it affords but TWD does so very little with it and has done for years now.

Watching the show turn into a sort of hyper violent Home & Away with zombies has been dissapointing - new characters at every turn who's function seems to be to distract the viewer with yawnsome back story until it's time for them to snuff it (and expecting us to care about them?)

How many gory deaths, fecked up scenes etc can they pile onto Rick (with his crazy every which way eyes) and Co until the audience decides enough is enough and eventually taps out before they turn into a zombie is what I'm wondering I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Jaysus, if people are giving out about the fact that the show producers are under an obligation by Robert Kirkmann to stay relatively true to the comics which inevitably leads to certain "cartoonish" elements, god help the carnage on this thread when
    Shiva and Ezekiel appear next week!

I completely understand that people will have very negative things to say about this show, and the "why do you watch it then" reply just leads to stup1d arguments which dominate every thread.

Saying that, people need to accept that this show will never mirror reality with certain characters and events due to where the show emanated from.
    Kirkmann retains so much influence and his ideas will almost always be adapted. So moaning about these aspects every week is just pointless.

I, too feared what the would do with Neagan, how he would translate onscreen but I think they have done a brilliant job in not making him into some surreal comic villain. It is an apocalypse and evil takes on a whole new dimension when sh1t hits the fan. I do think bringing
    Shiva
    in is a bit too much though. I think for a lot of the non comic readers that decision is going to really take p1ss for them!!
    Finding a happy medium between surrealism and what is realistic won't always work on these shows.

Enjoy the show for what it is because for what it is, when it's brilliant it is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ok fair enough but given that Sundays episode has split the audience more than any other its to be expected.

And that's totally okay. I completely understand your take on it. Part of me felt that too. I can fully get why that was too much for some people or maybe wasn't done in a way that they appreciated. I had a conversation with a colleague about it this morning where we reckoned that it would have put people off. Stating an opinion like that is very different from basically crapping all over something that, at best, you haven't liked in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Dont think I'll be watching this anymore, too gruesome , even for me, and I like horrors. Think they went a bit too far with this one,
    I was nearly sick!!!
    Glad I dident watch it at night!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Olishi4 wrote: »
    The episode was alright. We knew someone was going to die.

I find though as the show goes on, I am finding it harder to relate or care as much about the characters especially newer ones. They don't seem to be introducing any particularly interesting or stand out people to me on the "good side" and don't provide enough character depth. I know Gabriel wasn't part of this episode but I said before in another thread, I hope that he becomes a serious bad ass and starts quoting stuff from the bible when he kills people.

Looking forward to seeing more of Negan and it would be interesting to see some of our well known characters split and betray Ricks group in favour of Negan. Maybe Rosita or someone like that. I hope that Negan is not killed off and if they escape him, I hope, he is a recurring character.

Love the idea of an evangelical badass Gabriel! It's top of my wish list for the show :D
    On your second point I was actually thinking that if somehow Negan turned Daryl to his side we could end up with a showdown between evil Daryl and Rick (with many episodes in between & lots of character growth)

• Advertisement

Den_M wrote: »
    I loved the first few seasons, mentioned that in my first post. By rights I should still love TWD, that's one of the things that irks me about it - I love all things zombie related, the horror genre, tv shows with big budgets and the production values that it affords but TWD does so very little with it and has done for years now.

Watching the show turn into a sort of hyper violent Home & Away with zombies has been dissapointing - new characters at every turn who's function seems to be to distract the viewer with yawnsome back story until it's time for them to snuff it (and expecting us to care about them?)

How many gory deaths, fecked up scenes etc can they pile onto Rick (with his crazy every which way eyes) and Co until the audience decides enough is enough and eventually taps out before they turn into a zombie is what I'm wondering I guess

And what I'm wondering is why you're still watching it. As you've clearly said you don't like it any more. So then stop watching it. If it annoys you then don't turn it on. Why would you deliberately watch something that you don't like? And do you really have to judge those who still do like it? Because like it or not you are doing that with statements like that last sentence, which basically reads "how long before you lot figure this out?".

It's not your thing. That's fine. So don't watch it and leave those of us who still like it to enjoy it. You don't get annoyed watching the show and we don't get annoyed with you crapping all over it. Win-win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

molloyjh wrote: »
    And that's totally okay. I completely understand your take on it. Part of me felt that too. I can fully get why that was too much for some people or maybe wasn't done in a way that they appreciated. I had a conversation with a colleague about it this morning where we reckoned that it would have put people off. Stating an opinion like that is very different from basically crapping all over something that, at best, you haven't liked in years.

The last few seasons have definitely tested my patience but they would always put out a savage ep when I was about to bail. The ep with Eastman from last season was a good example. That was a classic and in stark contrast to the latest ep.

I'm gonna sit this season out and binge watch at the end if people are raving about it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Bugged me too, I really thought Negan threw it into the crowd non nonchalantly but the only explanation I can think of is he threw it up and over, no other explanation makes sense. Although it is TWD. No surprise if Glenn returns in 3 weeks :pac:

I'll be honest so did I but when I saw it on the roof I knew I obviously made a mistake as it would have been beyond stup1d if they made that sort of continuity error :D

I didn't really enjoy the "get my axe scene, it was all a bit mission impossible" but it served a purpose I guess and it is a zombie show after all so always going to get your quota of zombie action, especially in a season premiere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Dont think I'll be watching this anymore, too gruesome , even for me, and I like horrors. Think they went a bit too far with this one,
    I was nearly sick!!!
    Glad I dident watch it at night!

Myself and the wife were eating dinner watching it...moussaka. Bad choice! I had to turn it off. I genuinely felt queasy though which is very rare for me.

Ok fair enough but given that Sundays episode has split the audience more than any other its to be expected.

I actually dont agree here, I think the overwhelming majority of viewers "enjoyed" (you get what I mean by enjoyed! ;)) Sunday.
    Last season every episode split the audience to a large degree, bar maybe, the first episode back in the new year.

Sunday obviously produced a few very polarised respective reactions but from what you can deduce from social media, reviews and even here, the very vast majority thought the episode was one of the best and definitely one of the most harrowing yet.

• Advertisement

The last few seasons have definitely tested my patience but they would always put out a savage ep when I was about to bail. The ep with Eastman from last season was a good example. That was a classic and in stark contrast to the latest ep.

I'm gonna sit this season out and binge watch at the end if people are raving about it.

Kind of like FTWD for me. I've struggled with that but every time I decide "this is the last episode" it ends up being one of the few genuinely good episodes. :D

It's always going to be incredibly hard to keep a show going at that level for prolonged periods of time. I do worry when they say that this is still only the beginning because inevitably shows hit a wall with people. That will be at different times for different people (and there's no right or wrong in that), but few shows have ever really been this successful for more than several seasons. So if there's still another 10 seasons in it I can't see it maintaining it's popularity.

At one point last night I was questioning whether I wanted to keep watching, but stubborn as I am I stuck with it to the end. And when the reality of how it was impacting the story became perfectly clear I realised that this is a one off (or at least a massive rarity). It's a complete change of everything we thought we knew. And that could only really happen with a brutal episode. They need to follow that up with real quality now though, because I don't want that episode to be for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Hatewatching.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

Thoroughly enjoyed that episode!

I am confused by what people are expecting from the show with all of the negative comments!

there was outrage over the cliff hanger and not showing who got intimate with Lucille but I thought with the double whammy of the Glenn curveball was worth the wait

It was obviously never going to be Rick, Daryl, Michonne or Cooorall but I didn't see many predictions of 2 characters meeting their maker

Negan and Simon have been portrayed as the vicious opponents they are and the Season has been set up just as I had hoped

Job done in my opinion - just don't fcuk it up lads!!!!

Hatewatching.

Ha, it is an exclusively Irish thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Hatewatching.

That's the only reason I'm still watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

I've been a fan from the start, followed every episode from the start but I found the latest episode hard to watch, I think they crossed the line with the violence.

Will i continue watching? Yes, but I do hope they dial it back a little TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

It was obviously never going to be Rick, Daryl, Michonne or Cooorall but I didn't see many predictions of 2 characters meeting their maker

Negan and Simon have been portrayed as the vicious opponents they are and the Season has been set up just as I had hoped

Job done in my opinion - just don't fcuk it up lads!!!!

I was always thinking it was going to be Glen but then the other day I thought maybe Daryl. He is starting to bore me! He needs more of a storyline so hopefully with Negan taking him captive, it might be interesting.

Negan had to be vicious and he lived up to that. Of course they did kill some of his men viciously in their sleep.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

So glad I managed to avoid all spoilers, gave it 8/10. Found the violence very hard stomach and watched quite a bit through my fingers. Like how he tried to break Rick, neatly lept off the couch when I thought Daryl was going to bite the bat.
    Liking Negan but just still keep thinking he's possessed with a demon and Sam and Dean will arrive (from Supernatural). I'm going all Tropic Thunder the characters are merging.
    I do think all comic stuff should be spoilered in this thread, hearing things like the saviours and azekiel (seen him on a trailer on tv so fair enough) but don't think it should really be mentioned here.
    Violence was shocking but 'look at the flowers' stuck with me for some time, I'll gladly put the bat scenes out of my mind.
    Andrew Lincoln was superb, again.
    Roll on next week.

davo2001 wrote: »
    I've been a fan from the start, followed every episode from the start but I found the latest episode hard to watch, I think they crossed the line with the violence.

Will i continue watching? Yes, but I do hope they dial it back a little TBH.

I'm certain this is a one off. It needed that level of brutality to break Rick and set the tone for the clash/relationship with Negan. But now that it's done it's not really needed again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Hatewatching.

Thats the term!! Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Den_M wrote: »
    Yeah aint I such a party pooper?
    Shame on me for spoiling your love-in, don't worry just stick your fingers in yer ears and pretend I didn't say that. Keep pretending to be entertained.

As far as I can tell it's a public sub forum for all things TWD so my post qualified, TWD is all over the news this morning and I'm entitled to give my 2c worth. Really.

No need to get so aggressively hostile.

Look, we're talking about season seven. It's not as if you've hung on for a few episodes of an opening season, you're here giving out about the quality of a show after you've literally sat through dozens, upon dozens, of episodes for several years, yet you're still watching. :confused:

Fair enough to point out flaws, but to come in here just quite aggressively giving out and belitting people who do enjoy the show is a bit much.

I don't watch shows I don't enjoy, I don't play games I don't enjoy, I don't eat foods I don't enjoy. You try something and either stick with it or don't, I don't get this thing in every discussion about a show, there's always one person who's giving out about how crap it is, despite having evidently sat through every episode.

What is the point? Season seven is a bit late to be using the 'I thought it might get better' line. Usually an argument I'd use for episode 2 or 3 of a premiere season, not almost 100 episodes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

maximoose wrote: »
    This is kind of comic talk that should be spoilered.

If you think so. I just don't get that a major character being alive is a spoiler! If it was the other way round, sure, that would be a spoiler, because something would have had to have happened. But surely everyone in the story is alive... until such time as they die.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Okon wrote: »
    If you think so. I just don't get that a major character being alive is a spoiler! If it was the other way round, sure, that would be a spoiler, because something would have had to have happened. But surely everyone in the story is alive... until such time as they die.

Of course it is a spoiler for both the comic and the TV show. We now know (if your a bit behind in the comics)
    that a major character who believably could have been killed, is still somehow there. While not a spoiler for the TV show, it does indicate that there is a precedence for that character to remain alive and gives a strong indication how the end of season may go

I have read the comics, I treat the two formats as separate entities but I am under no illusion that knowing how the comics pan out, affects my knowledge of the show. It is spoilery for not only the comic readers but also the TV watchers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

The comics are now 2-3 years ahead of the TV show though so in a way it is IMO.

As this is TV show discussion thread, talking about anything that has yet to happen should be a no-no.

Re Den_M.............I will lay my bottom dollar he will "give TWD "one more try, in the hope that"......" for a long time yet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I havn't been gripped and enthralled by a TV episode like that in ages. Only time I can remember that sort of anguish was a certain episode of The Shield where a character was killed off.

That was incredible, so tense, acting was unbelievable. There was just absolute grip, tension and immersion for that entire episode.

Walking Dead does this better then anything, just when I start to sway with the show and question what I'm doing with it, it drops an episode like that. Unbelievable television. That entire Glen segment was absolutely soul destroying

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

I can't wrap my head around folks complaining the episode was too violent. This isn't my little pony, it's a post apocalyptic zombie show.

One of my pet peeves with TWD is the snail paced story lines we often have to endure. There's times I feel that even Tolkien was more concise than the writing team behind the series.

Personally speaking, this episode absolutely flew by and I was enthralled from start to finish. My concern now is that we're about to be plunged into another major story line lull before things pick up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

In a car, getting blown up, by his "buddy" ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^?

Heartwrenching in The Shield!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭jonski

Arbitrary wrote: »
    I can't wrap my head around folks complaining the episode was too violent. This isn't my little pony, it's a post apocalyptic zombie show.

One of my pet peeves with TWD is the snail paced story lines we often have to endure. There's times I feel that even Tolkien was more concise than the writing team behind the series.

Personally speaking, this episode absolutely flew by and I was enthralled from start to finish. My concern now is that we're about to be plunged into another major story line lull before things pick up again.

Totally agree and I'm surprised to read it .

I've had a change of heart from my first reply ( not that ye were all waiting to convert me or anything )

My problem was never with the violence ( I'm just after finishing Banshee and loved it ), now that I'm reading more of this thread I am inclined to change my mind from my first opinion . I thought Negan was way over the top and Morgan waaay over acted but from reading here I'm now getting the impression that thats they way Negan is supposed to be . I'm sure I can get over it if the story lines stay strong .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

maximoose wrote: »
    The comics are now 2-3 years ahead of the TV show though so in a way it is IMO.

As this is TV show discussion thread, talking about anything that has yet to happen should be a no-no.

Fair enough....

(Apologies if anybody was spoiled.)

Advertisement