Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of architect's Certificate of compliance

Options
  • 20-10-2016 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

We need a architect's certificate of compliance for a extension built years ago as we are now in the process of selling. There are no non-compliance issues with the build. Any idea how much a cert should cost??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

We recently had one give us "an opinion of compliance" report on an attic conversion and removal of an internal wall. It cost €307.
    Not sure if this is standard as we were in a rush and didn't really ring around for quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

sullivk wrote: »
    We recently had one give us "an opinion of compliance" report on an attic conversion and removal of an internal wall. It cost €307.
    Not sure if this is standard as we were in a rush and didn't really ring around for quotes

Thanks for the reply. Were you selling?..did it satisfy purchasers solicitor?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Depending on location. €300ish plus vat for an opinion of compliance with planning regulations or exempted regulations.

Did it require planning or was it an exempted extension?

Just gone sale agreed so not sure if their solicitor has even recieved the report from ours yet.
    As the engineer wasn't witness to the home renovations we had done, when assessing the works he said he couldn't say with 100% certainty that it is compliant with building regulations, he could however say that it appears to be compliant in his opinion.
    He could also confirm that no planning laws were broken.

If your buyers have an issue then it is always in their best interests to have their own property survey done pre-purchase.

Just gone sale agreed so not sure if their solicitor has even recieved the report from ours yet.
    As the engineer wasn't witness to the home renovations we had done, when assessing the works he said he couldn't say with 100% certainty that it is compliant with building regulations, he could however say that it appears to be compliant in his opinion.

If your buyers have an issue then it is always in their best interests to have their own property survey done pre-purchase.

Thanks for the reply and info..can you PM me your engineers contact details please?!

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Depending on location. €300ish plus vat for an opinion of compliance with planning regulations or exempted regulations.

Did it require planning or was it an exempted extension?

Hi..the extension was exempt from planning permission and I'm 100% sure that it's fully compliant. Regretfully I didn't think of the cert at the time it was built.
    Do you have the name of an architect who can now complete the cert?..can you PM me details please? Thanks.

Nobody can do this.
    As they did not see ground conditions, foundations, rising walls, structural elements or roof structure they cannot give a certificate of compliance with building regs. They can however give a substantial opinion based on a visual survey and no opening up works in most cases.

kceire wrote:
    Nobody can do this. As they did not see ground conditions, foundations, rising walls, structural elements or roof structure they cannot give a certificate of compliance with building regs. They can however give a substantial opinion based on a visual survey and no opening up works in most cases.

Yes, Is that not what I pretty much said? Is that not why it's called an opinion of compliance?

Yes, Is that not what I pretty much said? Is that not why it's called an opinion of compliance?

Generally an opinion on compliance will be giving after the fact and based on visual survey on a specific date with no opening up works.

A certificate of compliance will come when I oversee the works, supervise construction and structural design.

Advertisement