Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri for kids

Options
  • 20-10-2016 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

I have a 13.5 year old niece who'd love to get into tri. She'd be a good all-rounder in running, swimming, cycling amongst other sports and would like to try some tri competitions. Lives in the Kildare area.
    What's the first step? Is there a club that would cater for her in Kildare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

I think both Nass and Athy have good junior sections

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

What part of Kildare? I've a feeling Athy TC have or are setting up a kids' section. Not sure about elsewhere but the TI website or office should be able to tel you.

It's a great sport for kids. Versatility is great for their fitness and variety keeps the interest up. And between Fingal TC and Wicklow TC there are events within reasonable distance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

TI Find a Club page has a Junior club selection which filters out clubs for juniors.
    I know with a few clubs, there are junior training days every month or so rather than regular training a few times a week so may be better to get her involved with a swimming/athletics/cycling group for regular training sessions as most tri clubs don't seem to offer this for juniors yet. Though Wicklow look to have a session a week which is great that they have that infrastructure for the kids.

http://www.triathlonireland.com/Participation/Find-a-Club/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Is tri really a sport we want kids in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

tunney wrote: »

Have you ever seen a kids Tri race? Any of the ones I've watched have been great for the kids involved, very enjoyable events. Competitive where competition is needed, and encouragement where encouragement is needed. They offer a good intro to different sports where a kid might previously have only done running, or swimming. I've witnessed a couple of hoverparents putting too much stress on the kids, but thats vastly overshadowed by smiling faces all round.

My kids have done a few, I'd/they'd recommend them. Agree with RQ advice above, best to let them join a dedicated running/swimming/biking club and just enter the odd tri race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Ceepo

tunney wrote: »

Begs the question. Why not ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    What part of Kildare? I've a feeling Athy TC have or are setting up a kids' section. Not sure about elsewhere but the TI website or office should be able to tel you.

It's a great sport for kids. Versatility is great for their fitness and variety keeps the interest up. And between Fingal TC and Wicklow TC there are events within reasonable distance.

Thanks, Dilbert. She's in Colbinstown, so a few miles from Athy so that would be perfect if Athy TC have something set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Ososlo wrote: »
    Thanks, Dilbert. She's in Colbinstown, so a few miles from Athy so that would be perfect if Athy TC have something set up.

they do have a kids section, they ran a week long kids tri summer camp and a few kids duathlons this year, very active junior section with a lot of parents involved in it. i think there is also kids swimming sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Advertisement