Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords right of entry......

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Forget about maintenance, the landlord is entitled, in fact supposed, to inspect his property, again at a reasonable time and giving reasonable notice. Indeed, if he doesnt do so and something has gone wrong which could have been picked up by an earlier inspection, it can go badly for him.

Refusing to allow reasonable inspection is breach of the lease, and if he was so minded he could act accordingly.

Yeah he should evict the tennant that's never there, they cause no issues, no fights with neighbours or other tenants and no wear and tear and pay their rent but they should be evicted for wanting one room of privacy in the whole world.

There is nothing that can't wait till the tenant is back I expect the landlord to find that the lock has been changed. The it will really kick off lol

Tigger wrote: »
    Yeah he should evict the tennant that's never there, they cause no issues, no fights with neighbours or other tenants and no wear and tear and pay their rent but they should be evicted for wanting one room of privacy in the whole world.

There is nothing that can't wait till the tenant is back I expect the landlord to find that the lock has been changed. The it will really kick off lol

He has a tradesman there doing work it's pure bull from a tenant who is too precious to let a workman into their room and do the job. It may not be practical and more costly to come again and of the tenant is hardly ever around then it could be very difficult to find a time suitable to the silly tenant and the tradesman.

If I were the LL I wouldn't have even been asking for specific permission from the tenant that's away once one tenant gave me the ok id work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭anon71

I don't know the specifics of what's being done workwise. I know it's painting and maintenance but that's all.

The LL contacted the absentee HM and told her the work was starting on Monday. Apparently she was still put out but there's no question of her returning home any earlier than her due time. She's currently in the U.S. I do think she's being unreasonable but the work is going ahead as planned so that's that I presume.

She tried to engage my friend about it by email but she replied that she has no responsibility in the situation and she wasn't getting involved.

anon71 wrote: »
    I don't know the specifics of what's being done workwise. I know it's painting and maintenance but that's all.

The LL contacted the absentee HM and told her the work was starting on Monday. Apparently she was still put out but there's no question of her returning home any earlier than her due time. She's currently in the U.S. I do think she's being unreasonable but the work is going ahead as planned so that's that I presume.

She tried to engage my friend about it by email but she replied that she has no responsibility in the situation and she wasn't getting involved.

So cosmetic as I assumed
    If I was the tenant I'd be upset. I hope they had the foresight to change the locks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

So cosmetic as I assumed
    If I was the tenant I'd be upset. I hope they had the foresight to change the locks
    If she did then she could find herself getting an eviction notice immediately.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    evicterd for what ?
    the ll as no right to enter the room to paint it and thet value or cost of the job is irrelevant.
    ive been to the prtb to deal with bad landlords who ride roughshod over people and to say i won is an understatement.my experiance is they will not be impressed if the landlord tries to justify entering her room to paint it.
    if she didn't change the locks then her wish to have a "base" in ireland whaile she travels for work is being broken for no reason
    there is no right for the landlord to enter her room to paint it the ll is getting money for nothi g with an absent tennant and she should leave and let both the ll and more so the other tennant deal with an acual present tennant. if i was living with another person who was never there id appriciate the fact taht i was getting double value and not allow the ll to enter their room.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

evicterd for what ?

For changing the locks without permission.

I can't imaging the LL causing a fuss over some painting and who knows what other maintenance is to be carried out. It is the LL's responsibility to keep the property in good shape and that requires occasional checks and maintenance. With reasonable notice, this can and should be carried out.

evicterd for what ?
    the ll as no right to enter the room to paint it and thet value or cost of the job is irrelevant.
    ive been to the prtb to deal with bad landlords who ride roughshod over people and to say i won is an understatement.my experiance is they will not be impressed if the landlord tries to justify entering her room to paint it.
    if she didn't change the locks then her wish to have a "base" in ireland whaile she travels for work is being broken for no reason
    there is no right for the landlord to enter her room to paint it the ll is getting money for nothi g with an absent tennant and she should leave and let both the ll and more so the other tennant deal with an acual present tennant. if i was living with another person who was never there id appriciate the fact taht i was getting double value and not allow the ll to enter their room.

I don't know the full details of the work being carried out but when I said "that's all", I meant that's all I knew. But AFAIK its a bit more than just painting.
    And it would seem that the LL is being anything other than unreasonable.

Anyway I'm going to post below the latest update which is farcical to say the least.

This beggars belief but apparently the reason for the HM's reluctance to allow entry is Christmas presents!!!

She's a single, childless woman in her '30s who dotes on her many nieces and nephews. She has a very well paying job and really goes all out for their birthdays and Christmas. As she won't be home for Christmas this year she bought their presents in advance, fairly high prices items and stored them in her room.
    She was worried about a stranger having access to her room and something going missing!!!

Her Dad called this evening to collect the presents and store them in his house.

I kid you not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

This beggars belief but apparently the reason for the HM's reluctance to allow entry is Christmas presents!!!

She's a single, childless woman in her '30s who dotes on her many nieces and nephews. She has a very well paying job and really goes all out for their birthdays and Christmas. As she won't be home for Christmas this year she bought their presents in advance, fairly high prices items and stored them in her room.
    She was worried about a stranger having access to her room and something going missing!!!

Her Dad called this evening to collect the presents and store them in his house.

I kid you not!!

I thought she was nuts up till now . now I think she has a point. I would be reluctant to let a stranger into my room if I have a load of new expensive items bought and stored in there. she is still wrong to stop the work going on.

I think she is softening by getting the stuff moved

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

evicterd for what ?

You haven't got a clue what you are talking about. Previous posters cited the relevant legislation in relation to 'reasonable access'. The HM is being unreasonable.

I thought she was nuts up till now . now I think she has a point. I would be reluctant to let a stranger into my room if I have a load of new expensive items bought and stored in there. she is still wrong to stop the work going on.

I think she is softening by getting the stuff moved

I do agree with you to a point. I thought she was being a bit OTT in the beginning. But from the LL's point of view she was trying to hold up work that he obviously felt was necessary. It's a medium sized town, she's not from there but my friend is, hence the fact that she knew the tradesman. But the HM doesn't know this guy and was being very cautious.
    Anyway tis a done deal now, the presents are gone, the work starts in the morning and my friend is delighted.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    evicterd for what ?

Once the other house mate gives permission to enter then she has absolutely no case. Her room is no diffeeent to the living room. Once the other lease holder give the LL permission she can sing for the RTB if she wants but will get nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I kid you not!!

I thought the HM was waaaay over the top until I read this. No way on earth would I give work people or strangers the right to enter my private room if I had a load of expensive gifts stored in it. For all we know there could have been a couple smart phones, iPads, kids tablets stereos, or who knows what. IMHO she was right to not want strangers in her room. She's done the right thing getting her dad to move the gifts tho.

Advertisement