Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa advice for J1 Grad

Options
  • 20-10-2016 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm really hoping someone can help me out.
    I'm currently working in the US on a 12-month J1 graduate visa as a Software Engineer. My visa expires in February. My company wants to sponsor a H1B visa for me but it would mean that I'd have to return to Ireland for 7 months for it to process. This isn't a viable option for me at this time.
    The only 2 options that I can see at this time are a H2B visa and a J1 Trainee visa. I'm not subject to the 2 year home rule so I think I should qualify for both. I've heard stories that a lot of J1 graduate applicants are being denied J1 trainee visas even though they aren't subject to the 2 year home rule. My company is completely open to either visa and want me to decide which one they should apply for.

Has anyone moved straight from a J1 grad visa to a H2B/ J1 trainee visa? What was the process like? Which do you think I should go for?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Has your company an office in Ireland? If so you could try the L1 (inter company transfer) Visa

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MeMeJK1

To be honest this will be up to the companies immigration lawyer to decide which is the best option. What have they suggested? I don't know how likely it would be to be granted a J1 Trainee visa but if the denial possibility is high, I would consider if you want to risk this as a visa denial will have repercussions down the line as it will have to be declared on any subsequent visa application (including ESTA). It sounds like an H1B might be your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hi OP,
    How not viable is a return to Ireland for 7 months ?

Is it the cost ?, personal ?.

If its the cost then you could look into a contracting job in Ireland for your duration at home, there are plenty of them in the SW industry, and they pay well which would give you a nice bit of cash to have on hand for a return to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

look into a contracting job in Ireland for your duration at home

Not sure of the OP's circumstances but 100% I couldn't recommend this option more.

There are so many daily rate contract jobs here at the moment in Software engineering in either test or development. You could pick one up for 2-4-6 months easily and make a ton of money for your trip back. You'd have the cost of your flight covered in 2 days on a daily rate :p

Advertisement