Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing tyres

Options
  • 21-10-2016 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

Holy moly, why is it so difficult changing tyres?? I got a second hand bike and wanted to change the tyres, back of knuckles were in bits after rolling the last bit of the tyre on. I'm new to cycling so tell me this? Does it get easier replacing the same tyres? Obviously experience will help in future. Hope so, I was in my living room and not on the side of the road, and used gardening gloves and fairy liquid

Maybe it was just the combination I used, Ultegra and Conti 4 Seasons 25s?

Anyway, going for my first spin tomorrow morning so all is good. First time using clip in pedals so still undecided on whether to fall off left or right :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Whyner wrote: »
    Holy moly, why is it so difficult changing tyres?? I got a second hand bike and wanted to change the tyres, back of knuckles were in bits after rolling the last bit of the tyre on. I'm new to cycling so tell me this? Does it get easier replacing the same tyres? Obviously experience will help in future. Hope so, I was in my living room and not on the side of the road, and used gardening gloves and fairy liquid

Anyway, going for my first spin tomorrow morning so all is good. First time using clip in pedals so still undecided on whether to fall off left or right :D:D

some reckon its easier change some tyres when they are warm, i.e. u puncture when out for a spin.
    some rims are harder to put tyres on. some tyres are harder to put on. Conti's are always hard to put on /off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Deedsie wrote: »
    Defo fall left, don't use gloves when changing a tyre. Do you have tyre levers? Watch a few videos on YouTube on how to change a tube/tyre. Might help

What's the reason to not use gloves? I've watched loads of videos, some tips worked, others not so much

Yes, I bought tyre levers but most videos advised not to use them when putting tyres on. However I did use them to get the tyres off as the old tyres and tubes were going in the bin.

Oh yeah left 100%. Does everybody fall off? Me poor bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

What's the reason to not use gloves? I've watched loads of videos, some tips worked, others not so much

Yes, I bought tyre levers but most videos advised not to use them when putting tyres on. However I did use them to get the tyres off as the old tyres and tubes were going in the bin.

Oh yeah left 100%. Does everybody fall off? Me poor bike...
    i always dismount the bike on the left and i used to fall left as well... feels weird using the right side to dismount .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i reckon taking off the panasonic ribmo i have on on my back wheel is more of a workout than your average cycle. the idea of trying it without levers is a non-starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Road bike wheel rims have a lip around the edges of the wheel rim and a groove in the middle. It can be a pain getting the last bit of the tyre on.

The secret with a tight tyre is to pinch the tyre into the wheel groove so that there's more room to get the final bit onto the rim.

So pinch the tyre into the groove all the way around while pulling on part that isn't on the rim.

Same thing in reverse when taking off the tyre, except make sure you open the valve of the tube and let out any excess air, this also helps.

Some tyres are harder that others to put on or take off, some tyre pretty much fall off the wheel when the tube is empty..

+1 on the tyre irons, use both together, one to retain progress and the other to make progress.

Ironically clip - in pedals are called clip-less pedals (don't shoot the messenger!) . I've never fallen over when clipping out, but I have had a few close calls while clipping in. I had thought I'd clipped in when actually I'd just clipped the back in and then stood up for some power, my foot slipped off and I had a nice bruise for a week or so. So the advice I would give is, always sit on the saddle when clipping in. If in doubt, give a slight twist of the ankle to ensure you're in before standing up. As far as clipping out, always do it well before you stop, even now I still do that, because say, your clips screws loosen (which happens) you can have a panicky moment, if you leave it too late to unclip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't find the conti's that bad - but maybe that was because I was on Marathon plus before....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I still do that, because say, your clips screws loosen (which happens) you can have a panicky moment, if you leave it too late to unclip
    weirdly, this happened me for the first time ever only a few weeks ago, and then happened on the other shoe about ten days later. maybe someone is trying to off me.

Would it be more difficult because my Ultegra wheels are tubeless ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

weirdly, this happened me for the first time ever only a few weeks ago, and then happened on the other shoe about ten days later. maybe someone is trying to off me.
    It's a horrible sensation alright when you twist your ankle and nothing unclips!

not as bad as the first day i got my bike, had never used clips before, and i was clipping in (SPDs), thought 'that was a bit stiff, but i assume they'll loosen up with use' and quickly realised i couldn't unclip.
    obviously the pedals shipped with the adjustment dialled fully in. i had to go find a wall to lean on, and take the shoes off - which were still attached to the pedals.

• Advertisement

not as bad as the first day i got my bike, had never used clips before, and i was clipping in (SPDs), thought 'that was a bit stiff, but i assume they'll loosen up with use' and quickly realised i couldn't unclip.
    obviously the pedals shipped with the adjustment dialled fully in. i had to go find a wall to lean on, and take the shoes off - which were still attached to the pedals.

So you didn't practice in your kitchen the night before listening to some tunes? Weirdo

Your hands are naturally more dexterous without gloves on. Makes it an easier job on the road to change a tube in my experience. I have an everyday carry bag with baby wipes so I can clean my hands after. Bring the used wipes and flat tube with you when you are done of course.

Instead of binning the tubes and old tyres you might consider recycling them. Your local bike shop might take them and dispose of the used tubes and tyres appropriately.

Thanks for tips, haven't binned them yet so will check that out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Your local bike shop might take them and dispose of the used tubes and tyres appropriately.

Speaking of tubes, I've found the generic patchs can deform the tube being too large, leaving a pinched area.

So I found this on amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0063HIOFM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut off a few of my own patches and they work a treat. No more deformed tubes. While the sheet is pretty small, you'd easily get around 20 patches and my tubes are at 120, so the patches are doing a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Use levers and some washing up liquid. Rub a small drop on the lip of the tyre to get it over the rim with the lever.

Works great for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Would it be more difficult because my Ultegra wheels are tubeless ready?

Yes as they have a more pronounced lip to grip the tyre bead than regular wheel rims. I have a set of two way Zondas and also had a set of regular Zondas and fitting the same tyres on both was much harder on the two way fit wheels.

If you think Conti's are difficult to fit then never buy Michelins. They are an absolute nightmare. I brought 3 tyre levers trying to get Pro4 SC's on the two way Zondas. I have since discovered that soaking the tyre helps greatly.

Quick update

Didn't fall off on my first spin with the pedals :D. Absolutely loved it, great weather on Sat and a deadly buzz to be back on a bike

Did 76k down to Blessington lakes and back, stopping in Gragencon for a tasty lunch

Think I've been infected with the cycling bug, badly

The bike was a treat to ride and the new tyres rolled sweetly. Need to improve my cycling lingo :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I don't find the conti's that bad - but maybe that was because I was on Marathon plus before....

LOL, the Marathon Plus are a whore to work with.

I used them on my hybrid commuter and have Conti's on the road bike.

OP its just practice really. Wait until you're doing it by the side of the road on a wet winter morning or evening with freezing cold fingers :(

Advertisement