Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skunklock - Would you join the revolution?

Options
  • 21-10-2016 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

A new US start up company 'Skunklock' claims to have produced a lock which once cut by 30% will emit a noxious gas resulting in would be bike thief to vomit immediately.

If you were in the US would you contribute the $99 to get your skunklock?

I think I might - though the thoughts of the gas escaping whilst left in the house aren't appealing :eek:

Skunklock site

Guardian article on Skunklock

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

question is does it only happen when you're trying to cut the lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No, what would you do if you lost keys/ something went wrong with the lock?

On the other hand, the name reminds me to dig out my Campag Velocet and Lo-Fi Allstars CDs for Friday beers this evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Simple gas mask should solve the problem. Better if it paralyzed the thief or make him permanently blind... possibilities are endless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

omri wrote: »
    Simple gas mask should solve the problem. Better if it paralyzed the thief or make him permanently blind... possibilities are endless

:D permanently blind is possibly going a little far

From Skunklock:

'Can't a thief just wear a mask or protection?
    Technically, yes. Will it help them steal your bike? Probably not. The formula that we've developed is detectable through even some of the most robust gas masks (unfortunately, we learned this the hard way!). More importantly, we aren't strictly relying on chemicals incapacitating the thief to prevent the theft. There is no technology that can guarantee theft prevention; however, we do believe SKUNKLOCK is the best lock on the market to deter theft. Not only does an attack on the SKUNKLOCK release chemicals onto the thief that create a scene that makes people take notice, it also has economic implications for the thief. Our formula irreversibly ruins the clothes worn by the thief or any of the protection they may be wearing, and replacing these items is likely more expensive than the resale value of your stolen bike (generally only 1/10 of the retail price).'

question is does it only happen when you're trying to cut the lock?

Yes, but they claim the *pickable bit is very unpickable

*not the exact wording they used

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not a great idea, who takes responsibility for any passer by that gets accidentally exposed and has a vomiting fit and what if they happened to be young kids, elderly, sick etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I can't wait to read what bikesnobnyc has to say. He is the poet laureate of crowd-funded bicycling "solutions".

One of my housemates was sprayed by a baby juvenile skunk when I lived in Orange County. I cannot express how unbearable the stench was. I think she just threw her clothes out and washed a couple of dozen times. You used to be able to tell when a skunk had been run over on the freeway a couple of hundred metres away, because the smell carried so powerfully.

Anyway, I assume they're not extracting skunk essence. Just reminiscing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

smacl wrote: »
    Not a great idea, who takes responsibility for any passer by that gets accidentally exposed and has a vomiting fit and what if they happened to be young kids, elderly, sick etc...
    I used to lock my bike to a gas pipe. Would I be liable if a Darwin award candidate blew themselves up with a disc cutter? I've no idea.

smacl wrote: »

I'm assuming the chemical is only really noxious to the up close and personal person standing over the lock. How likely is it that children, elderly, sick would be standing right next to the person cutting the lock?
    Valid point though.
    If anyone other than the thief did get sick, I am sure the owner of the lock would be liable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lumen wrote: »
    I used to lock my bike to a gas pipe. Would I be liable if a Darwin award candidate blew themselves up with a disc cutter? I've no idea.

No idea, but not quite the same thing as the gas pipe was there already. CCTV footage could be entertaining though. Maybe don't use one of your more expensive bikes... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Whats wrong with a D lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MB Lacey wrote: »
    ....If anyone other than the theif did get sick, I am sure the owner of the lock would be liable.
    The way things are going, you'd also be liable for any injuries caused to the potential thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Whats wrong with a D lock?
    Can be cut through with a disc cutter in a few seconds.

How pervasive is this problem for people using decent locks anyway? I mean in San Francisco, which was the focus of the Guardian article.

I'm sure there are thieves with angle grinders and so on, but most thieves (the usual argument goes) are opportunists with, at best, bolt cutters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Lumen wrote: »
    Can be cut through with a disc cutter in a few seconds.

True, but from a practical point of view they are a good deterrent as not many would-be thieves are brazen enough to use a disc cutter in broad daylight. On a busy street anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

The way things are going, you'd also be liable for any injuries caused to the potential thief.

You could and you should, along with an assault conviction.

This isn't the US. We don't carry knives and guns, we put the welfare of others over our desire to have stuff. And if we don't, the courts remind us to.

Anyway, bottom line is that having that device here implies your intention to cause harm to someone. If someone is harmed by it then you've harmed someone in adeliberate and premeditated fashion. Yes the other person is an idiot, but still a person.

I wouldn't have one in the U.S. either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I'm still thinking that there is a gap in the market for mounting a powerful web app activated, CO2 actuated harpoon in the seatpost of your bike. Bad guy takes your bike, you press the app based trigger, bad guy gets harpoon in the arse. You simply follow the screams to retrieve your pride and joy.

It's simple, it's effective, it's just the right side of inhumane. Beats the stink out of Skunk-o-lock-o if you ask me!

More details:
    check_six wrote: »
    On a slightly different note, if this week's Web Summit has taught me anything is that you need to innovate to bring in the megabucks. We need to rethink the nature of security, make it a little less passive and a little more active with a little bit of some kind of social media cloud based jiggerypokery added in.

Ladies and Gentlemen, what I'm proposing is a seat post concealing a CO2 actuated bad guy harpoon.
    Step 1 - A bad guy cycles away on your pride and joy without your permission. The bad guy sensing circuitry will activate the device.
    Step 2 - Some kind of webby appy social media wizardry happens and you are alerted on your smart device to 'spike', or 'harpoonerite' your launcher. (The boffins will figure out all these minor details, I'm just here for the big picture!).
    Step 3 - Boom!!! Harpoon in the fundament for a surprised looking bad guy.
    Step 4 - Aiieeee!! Follow sounds of distressed bad guy to collect your bike.

I'll let you all know when I launch the kickstarter campaign...!

Oh, if anyone can think of a snappy name for this device, please forward it on. There will of course be a carbon version for the weight conscious.
    check_six wrote: »
    365577.jpg

Click to Spike!
    Harpoon your way to bicycle security.

Warning! Ear plugs are recommended when retrieving your bike to drown out the howls of anguish of harpooned bad guys.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Anyway, bottom line is that having that device here implies your intention to cause harm to someone. If someone is harmed by it then you've harmed someone in adeliberate and premeditated fashion. Yes the other person is an idiot, but still a person.
    Yeah, I'm assuming that the use of anything that might restrict breathing will not be permitted. It's one thing to let police use such tactics in the context of crowd control, its another thing to deploy it in defence of a personal belonging.

NiallBoo wrote: »

Anyway, bottom line is that having that device here implies your intention to cause harm to someone.

Not true.
    The intention is to park my bike, lock it, have a lock which deters a theif from stealing my bike and so have a bike to come back to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

What happens when the maintenance worker cuts a bike off the no-bikes-allowed railing and gets a faceful of pepper spray? There are very good reasons why indiscriminate booby traps like this are illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 zarker

This looks promising

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/oct/21/bike-lock-developed-that-makes-thieves-immediately-vomit

"A man approaches a bicycle, handheld electric saw at the ready. He powers it on, starts to drill, and is shot in the face with a noxious spray that makes him vomit uncontrollably. This is the dream of the inventors of SkunkLock."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

zarker wrote: »
    This looks promising

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/oct/21/bike-lock-developed-that-makes-thieves-immediately-vomit

"A man approaches a bicycle, handheld electric saw at the ready. He powers it on, starts to drill, and is shot in the face with a noxious spray that makes him vomit uncontrollably. This is the dream of the inventors of SkunkLock."

Already posted today: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057661762

• Registered Users Posts: 30,573 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Eh, won't the bike itself have an awful stink afterwards? Seems a bit M.A.D. (mutually assured destruction) to me...

"It also has economic implications for the thief. Our formula irreversibly ruins the clothes worn by the thief or any of the protection they may be wearing, and replacing these items is likely more expensive than the resale value of your stolen bike..."

What are the economic implications for cleaning up your bike!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Eh, won't the bike itself have an awful stink afterwards? Seems a bit M.A.D. (mutually assured destruction) to me...

"It also has economic implications for the thief. Our formula irreversibly ruins the clothes worn by the thief or any of the protection they may be wearing, and replacing these items is likely more expensive than the resale value of your stolen bike..."

What are the economic implications for cleaning up your bike!

True, though you would expect the chemicals are unlikely to penetrate metal/carbon in the same way as they would penetrate fabrics.

I would not buy this product and I would fully expect to be sued if I deployed it.

edit: That is my rational response. Doesn't mean i don't enjoy the idea of a bike thief getting a face full of this spray, or indeed being "spiked". Love teh logo for that btw.

The real thing to buy will be knock-off decals for ordinary D - Locks to make them look like a skunk lock.

All the deterrence, none of the inconvenient legal proceedings!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

The Skunklock is essentially an escalation of an arms race between bicycle owners and thieves, with the sinister element being that this escalation involves potential physical harm to the thief.

If physical harm & booby-trapping becomes fair game (the owners brought it into play) then what's to stop the thieves from fighting fire with fire?

Let's say I buy a Skunklock as a deterrant. Thief sees the lock and thinks "Well, I'm not going to cut through that" but he decides to loosen the nuts on my wheels or pops open my brakes as a kind of retaliation.

Arms races don't solve conflicts; they only serve to escalate them. The solution lies elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

If the SkunkLock included a notice: "This lock will spray a noxious, foul-smelling, vomit-inducing cloud in the face of anyone who tries to saw through it" would that be fair warning?

Also should definitely include a fluorescent element to dye the thief's hands, face and clothes.

If a work(wo)man has to cut it off railings and gets sprayed, s/he would definitely be able to sue the owner; that's different from a thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Leaving aside what an asinine idea this is and that it would never be legal for sale here...

I think thieves would actually seek them out, deliberately getting sprayed so that they can sue for damages.
    Much better pay-out than a stolen bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Moflojo wrote: »
    Let's say I buy a Skunklock as a deterrant. Thief sees the lock and thinks "Well, I'm not going to cut through that" but he decides to loosen the nuts on my wheels or pops open my brakes as a kind of retaliation.

You don't check your brakes and QR levers/wheelnuts every time you get on your bike? :eek:

I may be a *little* paranoid, but you, Comrade, are far too trusting!

(Also, with the standard of bike racks I am forced to use, stuff does get jostled regularly)

Advertisement