Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant's Causeway & Titanic museum

Options
  • 21-10-2016 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi All

We are hosting family from abroad this week and we are planning to visit Giant's Causeway & Titanic museum this Saturday.

Plan is to leave around 6.30 am and have breakfast on the way.

Please could you recommend a place for a traditional breakfast not too far off motorway?

Where could we have lunch between GC & Belfast please?

Is it possible to pay toll charges with credit card or cash only.

Was also thinking if we could visit Newgrange same day or is this too optimistic?

Many thanks for your input

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

You don't say where you're travelling from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭natali1982

My apologies. It's from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

You won't get new grange with the causeway and titanic done in a single day.

I'm not sure about breakfast .. but get to the Antrim coast early and enjoy a walk at the causeway and book the titanic for just after lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

For breakfast I would stop in Hillsborough. It's a pretty village outside Lisburn with a nice traditional cafe on the main street. (can't remember the name)

While going to the Giants Causeway you should also stop at Dunluce Castle and the Rope Bridge in Ballintoy. After that head towards Ballycastle and Cushendall (A2), There are a few options for lunch along the way though none brilliant that I'm aware of in the towns on the road to Belfast. Avoid Larne - It's pretty much universally disliked by everyone!

Forget doing Newgrange on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

veetwin wrote: »
    For breakfast I would stop in Hillsborough. It's a pretty village outside Lisburn with a nice traditional cafe on the main street. (can't remember the name)

While going to the Giants Causeway you should also stop at Dunluce Castle and the Rope Bridge in Ballintoy. After that head towards Ballycastle and Cushendall (A2), There are a few options for lunch along the way though none brilliant that I'm aware of in the towns on the road to Belfast. Avoid Larne - It's pretty much universally disliked by everyone!

Forget doing Newgrange on the same day.

I agree with the taking in Dunluce and the Rope bridge. But dont dilly daly on the way there's too much to see and light is short already.

There's a cafe in castlebellingham in a that building at the north end of the main street. But it might be better to get something at the applegreen. It will save time and you need to get to portrush as quickly as you can.

Portrush is by no means a pretty town but it is an isthmus and parking on the west strand gives a lovely circular walk to the east strand when you can cut back to tge car. Skip the main part of town and use the time elsewhere.

Now drive along the coast in the direction of Bushmills along the way you will come upon dunce cadtle. In Bushmills u obviously have the distillery. You need 2 hours for it.

Continue in in the direction of ballycastle. Giants causeway is next. Then you will pass White Park Bay....portBraden? There's a fab new coffee shop just on the right after you pass the turn for port bradden. After port bradley you have portbillintoy but before you head to the Rope bridge head to Ballintoy harbour as seen in game of thrones. Only a short detour and there's a cafe. Nothing at the Rope bridge.

In bally castle the best fish and chips anywhere in Ireland come out of Mortons near the harbour. There's a few cafes too.

Then if you have the light and are a competent driver you must take the torhead road to Cushendun.

Then follow the coast road the belfast. You are not going to even nearly see everything. And you'll be pushed to do just those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Where's the best place to park for free to see the Giants Causeway?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭natali1982

Ticket for GC includes parking.

Advertisement