Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pine Marten

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Nobody releasing pine marten. Most corncrake on islands and narrow coastal strips along coast. Large pheasant densities transmit large amout of intestinal worms to corncrake (similar parasitic species).

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Brian? wrote: »
    I'm not playing around. I've asked you repeatedly what you think the number of pine martens should be maintained at and you haven't answered. That's playing around.

You know full well I don't spend any time hunting or helping with pens. Because I told you in my first or second post I don't currently hunt. Asking me how much time I spend doing these things is playing around and deflection from the point.

You don't believe my opinions are as valid as yours because you put so much effort into hunting, I get it.

How many pine martens is too many?
    i think your one of these people who use to hunt but now are all into the wildlife end of it,i do belive your opinion is valid,in fact i enjoyed the banter but nothing will change my opinion on pinemartins ,if you were putting in all the work i have no douth your opinion would be a different one,what do you want me to say total wipe out,well i am not going to say it culled thats it.

Nobody releasing pine marten. Most corncrake on islands and narrow coastal strips along coast. Large pheasant densities transmit large amout of intestinal worms to corncrake (similar parasitic species).

they are still been released you better get your facts right.

What you think about pheasants doing harm to corncrake? Pine marten ain't affecting corncrake numbers

modern sillage cutting wiped out most of the corncrakes in ireland .

• Advertisement

What you think about pheasants doing harm to corncrake? Pine marten ain't affecting corncrake numbers

are you trying to say pheasants are doing harm to corncrake numbers where are we going with this thread, sorry have to go to get ready big game feast tonight.

Black pearl, we all now that was ONE of reasons, your deflecting question?

the dreaded pheasants that yous called non native ,dodos and stupid now their been linked to the harming of corncrakes o my god can not belive you just said that,time to go i have heard enough.

Given my farm held 3% of Connacht population of corncrake, I know what I'm talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

ligertigon wrote: »
    Primary decline of grouse is aforestation, blanket burning, fragmentation of lands, peat removal activities, and the wetter weather.
    Of course, pine marten prefer wooded areas so have little to no impact on grouse populations.
    Im running my own grouse project for the last 3 years.So i can tell you the hen harrier affects grouse numbers in a big way iv watchd it hunting the bog like a setter waiting for a grouse to brake.You say aforestation is a cause of decline and why because it holds vermin trees for the gray crow to watch out from. pine martin live and foxes also.I can tell you the amount of pine martin caught in traps is frighting.but they are only part of the problem wet may when chicks are changing the down feathers and get wet its devastating.60 mink caught last year won the sligo count again and numbers still down so you have to ask questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

blackpearl wrote: »
    they are still been released you better get your facts right.

Who told you they're being released? There's been a tiny number of Pine Marten orphans rehabilitated and re-released back in to the wild (about six I think), but generally the indigenous population is naturally climbing back to reasonable numbers because of a rise of natural habitation.

Are you confusing them with Mink by any chance?

Hen harrier ate red grouse. They have been coexisting together for millenia. Given hen harrier are on verge of extinction, their affect on national population of grouse is virtually nothing compared to crows.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

sure wont they be released again like other birds of pray.Do you know how hard it is to manage a grouse moor year round and everything is against you.when grouse are gone off a moor its a difficult task to get them back.Im in the trenches i know whats affecting numbers and yes the hen harrier effects grouse numbers they are the ultimate hunting machine and to watch them train there young is some sight

Hen harrier have never been released into the wild EVER. The hen harrier can't just be left slide into oblivion. Neither can Irish RedGrouse!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

i think your one of these people who use to hunt but now are all into the wildlife end of it,i do belive your opinion is valid,in fact i enjoyed the banter but nothing will change my opinion on pinemartins ,if you were putting in all the work i have no douth your opinion would be a different one,what do you want me to say total wipe out,well i am not going to say it culled thats it.

I'm one of those people who live in Dublin and hunting is a huge undertaking. I love hunting, especially large game like deer.

I was "into wildlife" before I ever discovered hunting. That's why I love pine martens, they are impressive killing machines.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've many friends in the states who hunt Coyote they'd love to see wolves read reintroduced because coyote are a nuisance. I see pine martens the same way. They challenge fox and mink for prey. If we had a robust marten population mink would suffer. In fact martens would kill mink.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I'm one of those people who live in Dublin and hunting is a huge undertaking. I love hunting, especially large game like deer.

I was "into wildlife" before I ever discovered hunting. That's why I love pine martens, they are impressive killing machines.

you have your view on pinemartins and i have mine so neither of us is going to change our minds,have not got the time to keep this going.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Who told you they're being released? There's been a tiny number of Pine Marten orphans rehabilitated and re-released back in to the wild (about six I think), but generally the indigenous population is naturally climbing back to reasonable numbers because of a rise of natural habitation.

Are you confusing them with Mink by any chance?

Thats good to here so a cull might be on the cards,i am confused here rise of natural habitation i was led to belive that natural habitation was vanishing all over ireland one of the reasons that the WILD pheasants were nearly gone,whats going on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Thats good to here so a cull might be on the cards

Won't happen.
    i am confused here rise of natural habitation i was led to belive that natural habitation was vanishing all over ireland one of the reasons that the WILD pheasants were nearly gone,whats going on here?

Look, you're obviously confused and to be honest a bit clueless when it comes to indigenous Irish wildlife.

Forest = Pine Marten.

Reforestation = More Pine Martens.

Have a read up on the subject, you'll learn something and find out "what's going on here".

https://www.irelandswildlife.com/pine-marten-populations-rise-says-new-research/

https://www.irelandswildlife.com/squirrel-pine-marten/

http://www.conserveireland.com/mammals/pine_marten.php

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Won't happen.

Look, you're obviously confused and to be honest a bit clueless when it comes to indigenous Irish wildlife.

Forest = Pine Marten.

Reforestation = More Pine Martens.

Have a read up on the subject, you'll learn something and find out "what's going on here".

https://www.irelandswildlife.com/pine-marten-populations-rise-says-new-research/

https://www.irelandswildlife.com/squirrel-pine-marten/

http://www.conserveireland.com/mammals/pine_marten.php

Now lets see ,forest =pinemarten =general wildlife in trouble.Reforestation=more pinemartin=hopefully a future cull,and saying confused and a bit clueless you know what you can do with your wild life sites,know all about them and the people who follow them not people who favour hunting so i could not give a flying well you know what i mean, about them,just getting ready for a good old fox shoot this morning hopefully we will deal with a few of them lovely cuddley red fured angles.

• Advertisement

[IMPRESSIVE KILLING MACHINES] very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

Now lets see ,forest =pinemarten =general wildlife in trouble.Reforestation=more pinemartin=hopefully a future cull,and saying confused and a bit clueless you know what you can do with your wild life sites,know all about them and the people who follow them not people who favour hunting so i could not give a flying well you know what i mean, about them,just getting ready for a good old fox shoot this morning hopefully we will deal with a few of them lovely cuddley red fured angles.

Black pearl your rants do the rest of us no good. People who don't listen To logic do more harm to the sport than the antis could ever hope to achieve

Making statement like "I've made up my mind and you won't change it" as you've done earlier shows ignorance,stubbornness and close mindedness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Alright lads and ladies.

This thread has ran it's course. Everyone has had it's say, and it seems as though no one is going to give.

I cannot see the benefit of allowing this thread to continue due to the numbers of complaints about it.

I'm closing the thread and if someone can give a good reason to open it again then feel free to PM me.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement