Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone recommend a good condenser dryer?

• 21-10-2016 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone could recommend a decent condenser dryer? I would probably have a max of 350 to spend so that would rule out Miele, Bosch etc.
    Has anyone opinions on the best brands between Indesit, Beko etc?
    I'd like the option to have it drained into a wastepipe as I may eventually stack it on top of a washing machine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sergiazo

Same situation here, I definitely will buy it in powercity since they seem to give 2 years warranty instead of one, but otherwise I am not sure which model to buy, definitely won't spend more than 400 €......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

sergiazo wrote: »
    Same situation here, I definitely will buy it in powercity since they seem to give 2 years warranty instead of one, but otherwise I am not sure which model to buy, definitely won't spend more than 400 €......

We have a Bosch drier about ten years and never missed a beat... It was expensive at the time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

it is worth saving up the extra 50 bucks to buy the Bosch as their construction is quite good, drum runs on rollers, not collapsing like some other makes on the market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'd recommend the Whirlpool 8kg 6th Sense Condenser Dryer AZA8781. Think there is an updated model coming soon. Picked it up for about 400 on sale if i remember correctly. It's been fantastic for us. Probably on once a day and have barely noticed the increase in electricity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

We have a good few older Zanussi condenser dryers in our family. Seem to be pretty much bombproof.
    Power city have the new version for €349

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I'd recommend the Whirlpool...

Am waiting 1yr for a whirlpool engineer to fix my dryer (one with the severe fire risk), well the lad showed up today shook his head and said it can't be fixed.

Apparently the lady on from the service center said they're only half-way through the whole risk resolution process and still can't give any time-frame as to when it will actually be resolved. :confused:

Next time, (as per my ultra reliable car) always buy Japanese, not this junk.

Why on earth have you waited one year for a repair? How old is the machine?

Why on earth have you waited one year for a repair? How old is the machine?

Waited 1yr (so far) because that's their standard scedule to fix 'in the region of 5,000,000 faulty dryer machines' across Ireland & UK.

Age/warranty doesn't apply it's a company wide fix they've started due to a safety notice applied on various models affected by this design fault.

http://www.hotpointservice.co.uk/safety-notices/

The machine still works, it's just that it can't be run unattended, as may become 'inflamed' during or shortly after each use.

It says in that notice "Whirlpool branded tumble dryers are not affected by this safety notice"

It says in that notice "Whirlpool branded tumble dryers are not affected by this safety notice"

Perhaps so but Whirlpoool are the parent group owner of the affected brands after acquisition.
    • Hotpoint
    • Indesit
    • Creda
    Whirlpool Corp also just suffered a stock plunge this week (biggest one-day price loss in the 44 years since it went public).

• Advertisement

So what model do you actually have? Not a Whirlpool?

We had a problem with the previous machine and had a Whirlpool engineer out the following week.

The problem you appear to have relates to a design issue with Hotpoint/Indesit/Creda before Whirlpools acquisition in 2014. It's a huge undertaken to repair all models manufactured from 2004 to 2015. Your manufacturer (and Whirlpool) obviously feel that the issue is rare enough that they have not had a recall or a faster rollout of a fix.

And what has a stock plunge got to do with a recommendation on a tumble dryer? Does it make their machines any less functional? :rolleyes:

So what model do you actually have? Not a Whirlpool? We had a problem with the previous machine and had a Whirlpool engineer out the following week.

The problem you appear to have relates to a design issue with Hotpoint/Indesit/Creda before Whirlpools acquisition in 2014. It's a huge undertaken to repair all models manufactured from 2004 to 2015. Your manufacturer (and Whirlpool) obviously feel that the issue is rare enough that they have not had a recall or a faster rollout of a fix.

And what has a stock plunge got to do with a recommendation on a tumble dryer? Does it make their machines any less functional? :rolleyes:

Creda model, which is now 'managed and serviced' by Whirlpool. Sure it's a huge undertaking, and a huge design fault indeed, but am so far (after 1yr), unimpressed by the level of remedial action and customer service in this regard from Whirlpool.

If you got a 1 week callout count yourself lucky, or more likely - that you don't have this particular product safety notice and fire hazard issue like the millions of others across Ire & UK.

Their recent lower Euro sales on the back of this issue, has likely been reflected by their share price dropping 11.6% on Tues. If the firm goes bust, then yes of course, there's even less of a chance of a resolution than currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I was just coming on to ask about condenser dryers. I much prefer a "proper" vented dryer, but it looks like I'll need to go for a condenser when I move.

I've had condensers in the past and hated them. I had a washer/condenser dryer (never as good as a stand alone) - the washing part was fine, the recommended "half load" of knickers would take about 90 minutes to dry.

Another condenser dryer with a "drawer" for collecting the water dried faster, but steamed up the room to a ridiculous extent - even with proper air vents in the wall, and emptying the drawer each time, the whole room would be dripping with condensation.

Has the technology improved over the years? Can anyone compare condenser vs vented in terms of how long it takes things to dry, and the amount of condensation in the room (instead of the drawer)?

Thoie wrote: »
    I was just coming on to ask about condenser dryers. I much prefer a "proper" vented dryer, but it looks like I'll need to go for a condenser when I move.

I've had condensers in the past and hated them. I had a washer/condenser dryer (never as good as a stand alone) - the washing part was fine, the recommended "half load" of knickers would take about 90 minutes to dry.

Another condenser dryer with a "drawer" for collecting the water dried faster, but steamed up the room to a ridiculous extent - even with proper air vents in the wall, and emptying the drawer each time, the whole room would be dripping with condensation.

Has the technology improved over the years? Can anyone compare condenser vs vented in terms of how long it takes things to dry, and the amount of condensation in the room (instead of the drawer)?

I think you just had a crap one. Ours is 8 years old and there's no condensation.

Washer dryers are always a compromise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think you just had a crap one. Ours is 8 years old and there's no condensation.

Washer dryers are always a compromise.

What size room is yours in? I wonder if a small utility room is the problem. Keeping the door to the kitchen open while the dryer is on kind of defeats the purpose of having a utility room in the first place.

We have our condenser dryer stacked on our washing machine in the utility room. We keep the utility door open when the dryer is on, otherwise the room is like a sauna. Not really a problem for us as we generally only use it at night time.

Thoie wrote: »
    What size room is yours in? I wonder if a small utility room is the problem. Keeping the door to the kitchen open while the dryer is on kind of defeats the purpose of having a utility room in the first place.

It's under the stairs. The hallway gets warm but not damp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Just looking at these two and wondering what people think? Would one dry quicker or better than the other?

http://euronics.ie/product/bosch-wte84106gb-dryer/
    http://euronics.ie/product/bosch-8kg-heat-pump-dryer-a-energy-class-wth83000gb/

For an extra 50 it would seem the heat pump dryer would be well worth it as its A+ on electricity but it seems rather cheap for a heat pump dryer compared to others so am wondering is the regular condenser a better machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

We have a Candy for about 5 years. Only moderate use, perhaps 3 loads a week. No problems so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Redriddick

I'm on the lookout for one that's 590mm wide maximum.
    Any ideas???

• Advertisement
Advertisement