Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrubbery for security

Options
  • 21-10-2016 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

I am investigating methods to secure the rear of my property. There is a 7ft wall to the rear (6ft on the far side). I would like to possibly place trellis on top of the wall and have a lot of thorny shrubs growing along the top - has anyone any suggestions as to what would be a suitable plant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Pyracantha.

Lovely blossom in spring, red or orange berries in winter.

Lethal thorns.

I mean lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

Speedsie wrote: »
    Pyracantha.

Lovely blossom in spring, red or orange berries in winter.

Lethal thorns.

I mean lethal.
    Hi Speedsie..... is it a quick growing plant?

It has to cover 7ft before it reaches the wall, then across.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Hi Speedsie..... is it a quick growing plant?

It has to cover 7ft before it reaches the wall, then across.

Cheers

To be honest, I don't know. Ours is in place nearly 40 years, and is about 15 feet high.

I dread the annual pruning.... Did I mention the thorns :)

Perhaps a thorny climbing rose would be faster? Something like a cresta rose?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Triffids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

+1 for Pyracantha, we have some in our back garden too and the thorns really are quite bad! If you step on a branch by accident, the thorns actually go through the soles of your shoes! Ours was already an established hedge when we moved in so I don't know how long it takes, but we have to cut it back quite a lot twice a year so I think it would grow fairly quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Put a layer of mortar on top of the wall and set pieces of broken glass into it. That'll give any visitors a memorial. That'll do until a thorny hedge can grow high enough. And then electrify the hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Put a layer of mortar on top of the wall and set pieces of broken glass into it. That'll give any visitors a memorial. That'll do until a thorny hedge can grow high enough. And then electrify the hedge.

Knowing the PC world we live in, you'd probably be done in court should a potential burglar get an injury trying to break into your property.

What about some of this stuff?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=anti+intruder+paint&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=81509940135&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3632351694844128106&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007284&hvtargid=kwd-1016882967&ref=pd_sl_3ytsldjgub_b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Try Rosa Kiftsgate.
    Any decent nursery should have it. Rapid climber, beautiful flowers and wonderfully large menacing thorns. You can also paint the top of the wall with anti-climb paint-slippery and never dries and ruins intruders clothes.
    Have fun:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Another +1 for Pyracantha but it is quite slow growing which is why the wood is so hard. Anything that grows quicker is going to have softer wood, softer thorns and be easier to get through,

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Try Rosa Kiftsgate.
    Any decent nursery should have it. Rapid climber, beautiful flowers and wonderfully large menacing thorns. You can also paint the top of the wall with anti-climb paint-slippery and never dries and ruins intruders clothes.
    Have fun:D

I can't imagine that paint is very good for the poor birds who might land on the wall

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    I can't imagine that paint is very good for the poor birds who might land on the wall
    The birds in your garden only land on dry areas?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    The birds in your garden only land on dry areas?:confused:

Difference between wet water, and wet paint designed to be hard to remove even with hot water and detergent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

SILVAMAN wrote:
    Try Rosa Kiftsgate. Any decent nursery should have it. Rapid climber, beautiful flowers and wonderfully large menacing thorns. You can also paint the top of the wall with anti-climb paint-slippery and never dries and ruins intruders clothes. Have fun

Bear in mind that if you paint your wall with anti-climb paint you are obliged to erect a notice to that effect on the public side. Aldi had anti climb paint recently, there may be some left in your local store.
    We planted Pyracantha "Orange Glow" next to a communal wall in our housing estate in February, it has grown about 12-15 inches in the season. Will have to nip out the top growth in the Spring to encourage it to spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

endacl wrote: »
    Triffids.

I thought the title read "Snobbery for security"

How is that going to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Pyracantha has incredible thorns, so razor sharp and strong. But it is very slow to establish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Haw thorn (crataegus sp.) has also got good thorns and probably would grow faster than the pyracantha, Black thorn (prunus spinosa) could also be an option.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Difference between wet water, and wet paint designed to be hard to remove even with hot water and detergent

I'm sure birds in urban areas have more pressing things to contend with such as pet cats and polluted air. Anti-climb paint is ecologically acceptable.

Advertisement