Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow cooker

Options
  • 21-10-2016 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi I've just purchased a slow cooker but unsure of cooking in it I'm looking to start off
    simple say pork chops,potato's, and carrots or similar, do I just put them straight in ? Do I need to add liquid like I would if I was boiling the spuds and veg on a hob? Any recommendations appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

It's usually better if you give a quick sear to any meats before adding them in, generally the ones with a bit of fat like stewing beef work better because it breaks down over the slow cook time. Vegetables like carrots and potatoes take around 1.5-2 hours (I find) so don't add them in at the beginning or else they'll be mush come the end. Add just enough liquid to almost cover the food in there, remember, no liquid will be lost and juices will be coming out of the meat/veg, so air on the side of too little rather than too much.

There's a great list of slow cooking recipes here, it will keep you going for a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dubgal1980

Just got a slow cooker too and I have to say I've never had better food ! Wish I bought one years ago , Pinterest is amazing for recipes , don't forget it's "crock pot" in the USA so search crock pot recipes for a huge selection

Advertisement