Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The slow walker scourge. Something must be done.

Options
  • 21-10-2016 7:32pm

The Luas works have us hemmed in. I'm fed up of getting stuck behind gaggles of always-perplexed Americans and the downright lazy, shuffling along whilst checking Facebook in rush-hour footpath traffic.

What are these people thinking? How can you be so unaware of your surroundings?

My office overlooks the narrow pavement on a very busy road near a Dart station, and every morning I see workers going along briskly, then arriving at a blockage headed-up by some oblivious students, Facebook-gawkers, or other miscreants, oblivious to the nuisance they cause.

If you're going to use your phone in an already overflowing sidewalks, please, stand to one side. Don't hold hands if you plan to amble down narrow pathways at five-thirty on a Friday evening. This isn't Venice.

It's basic manners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,233 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I wonder if this ever made it into law...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1049698.stm

Window shoppers are clogging up London's Oxford Street, making life difficult for those who want to walk at pace. Now plans are afoot to try and introduce a pedestrian fast lane.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Nassau Street is the worst, in my experience. There's only room for one single file line of people in each direction in some places, and trying to rush down it at 5.30 to catch my bus at College Green nearly has me in tears of frustration at times. No amount of passive aggressive tutting and sighing makes any difference :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,966 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Luas works have us hemmed in. I'm fed up of getting stuck behind gaggles of always-perplexed Americans and the downright lazy, shuffling along whilst checking Facebook in rush-hour footpath traffic.

What are these people thinking? How can you be so unaware of your surroundings?

My office overlooks the narrow pavement on a very busy road near a Dart station, and every morning I see workers going along briskly, then arriving at a blockage headed-up by some oblivious students, Facebook-gawkers, or other miscreants, oblivious to the nuisance they cause.

If you're going to use your phone in an already overflowing sidewalks, please, stand to one side. Don't hold hands if you plan to amble down narrow pathways at five-thirty on a Friday evening. This isn't Venice.

It's basic manners.

So what your saying is people who come to or use our city are not allowed to stroll around it taking it in.

The paths should be the reserve of a hurried commuter...

If you are that busy to get from A to B take a bike.

Ive often enjoyed a stroll around Dublin because there is alot to see. Long may it continue, I dread the day it turns into commuter hell that you describe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

listermint wrote: »
    So what your saying is people who come to or use our city are not allowed to stroll around it taking it in.

The paths should be the reserve of a hurried commuter...

I think OP like about 95% of Dubliners are sick of Americans and other tourists who have zero consideration for others on the footpaths. There is a difference between a stroll and 3 Americans talking up the entire footpath that no one can get around them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I think OP like about 95% of Dubliners are sick of Americans and other tourists who have zero consideration for others on the footpaths. There is a difference between a stroll and 3 Americans talking up the entire footpath that no one can get around them

We've been invaded?.

You'd have to be right up your own arse tight to get worked up about strollers in the city.

Not everyone is in a hurry. I rarely get into the city center as a pedestrian so when I do I stroll (I'm not an American in case anyone is wondering).

Despite the many addicts scourging the streets, the upheaval from the LUAS works we've a beautiful city which is steeped in history. More people should stop and take it in.

• Advertisement

We've been invaded?.

You'd have to be right up your own arse tight to get worked up about strollers in the city.

Not everyone is in a hurry. I rarely get into the city center as a pedestrian so when I do I stroll (I'm not an American in case anyone is wondering).

Despite the many addicts scourging the streets, the upheaval from the LUAS works we've a beautiful city which is steeped in history. More people should stop and take it in.

Maybe if you lived and worked in the city you'd notice the problem more. People strolling isn't the problem, people obstructing narrow pathways and entrances is. A lot of these oblivious people also seem to have a habit of standing in front of doorways, which drives me up the wall!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The reality is a lot of our footpaths are not big enough for the amount of people using them at certain times of the day so when someone does want to walk slowly (as is their right), people in a hurry often cannot get around them without stepping out into the street. Dangerous and frustrating if it's happening to you multiple times per day.

I am a stroller and gawker on my days off or on my holidays though so let them at it. It's not always tourists so they shouldn't be getting all of the blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

I was once told people who are usually in a rush are people who aren't in control. Specifically in an office setting, but you could apply it here too. Start walking 5 mins earlier and there'll be no rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

We've been invaded?.

Absolutely. They should stop and take it in at a higher rate of knots, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

DuffleBag wrote: »
    I was once told people who are usually in a rush are people who aren't in control. Specifically in an office setting, but you could apply it here too. Start walking 5 mins earlier and there'll be no rush.

I can't clock off 5 minutes early just so I can stroll to my bus ;)

People do have a right to walk slowly, I love walking slowly when I've time. But I'm aware of my surroundings when I do. I don't stop suddenly in the middle of a busy line of people. I don't congregate with a group of my friends and take up half the path. I don't have my head stuck in my phone not looking where I'm going and forcing people to walk around me. I don't walk three abreast with my friends forcing others off the path. It's those kinds of behaviours that I have my gripe with.

I do think people are taking the OP a little seriously though...read as slightly tongue in cheek to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I can't clock off 5 minutes early just so I can stroll to my bus ;)

You can, tell your boss I ok'd it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Try carrying a bicycle bell in your pocket.
    Works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There's no need to hurry. There's no need to worry.

People do have a right to walk slowly, I love walking slowly when I've time. But I'm aware of my surroundings when I do. I don't stop suddenly in the middle of a busy line of people. I don't congregate with a group of my friends and take up half the path. I don't have my head stuck in my phone not looking where I'm going and forcing people to walk around me. I don't walk three abreast with my friends forcing others off the path. It's those kinds of behaviours that I have my gripe with.
    Exxaaactly.

Who among us has never dawdled in the street to answer a text message, or stopped and chatted to a friend? The thing is to adjust our behaviour in awareness of our surroundings, like anyone using the road or the pavement.

Dawdle away on the wide pavements of O'Connell Street, but not at a pedestrian crossing that's as narrow as a packed church door, or anywhere affected by Luas works, where pedestrians can't avoid you by stepping onto the street.

It's common sense for most people; nobody should need to be told this.

And yes, the OP is a little tongue in cheek, there's no need for Americans or anyone else to take offence.
    Funnily enough, people with addiction issues don't bother me in the slightest. Every city on this earth has drug addicts, and I'd rather society were confronted with that reality, than have them shunted out of sight and out of mind.

However, as for the comment that more people should 'take in' the city, that's really not relevant to workers, or anyone trying to make an appointment, or on other business in the city.

I can't cycle around Stephen's Green, in the middle of the road, at rush-hour, taking in the ambiance, the Georgian architecture, and the Autumn foliage. Road users would go berserk. Understandably so.

Pedestrians need to be aware of the needs of those around us, too. We're all sharing the highway.

Maybe if you lived and worked in the city you'd notice the problem more.

Maybe if you weren't so presumptuous you wouldn't go making a ... Aaaanyway, I've posted about it often enough here ~ but I work security on the door of a busy rock bar in Templebar, I think I know the city pretty well.

In fact I've worked on most doors in Templebar since 1997, want to go on presuming you know something about me & my environment?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Maybe if you lived and worked in the city you'd notice the problem more. People strolling isn't the problem, people obstructing narrow pathways and entrances is. A lot of these oblivious people also seem to have a habit of standing in front of doorways, which drives me up the wall!

Innovative strategy. Can you tell me more about wall walking?

...seriously tho - it used to wreck my head when I worked in town too.

When you have to walk from the top of Stephen's Green to D'Olier street every evening after 10 hours stuck in an office to get home ASAP it's very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Maybe if you lived and worked in the city you'd notice the problem more.

Maybe if you weren't so presumptuous you wouldn't go making a ... Aaaanyway, I've posted about it often enough here ~ but I work security on the door of a busy rock bar in Templebar, I think I know the city pretty well.

In fact I've worked on most doors in Templebar since 1997, want to go on presuming you know something about me & my environment?.

You stated yourself that you are rarely in the City Centre as a pedestrian.

I commute in and out of the city, bus in, walk home, 5 days a week and It's a pain sometimes trying to squeeze past people, having to step into the road, people walking 3 abreast simply refusing to separate or move.

Birneybau wrote: »
    You stated yourself that you are rarely in the City Centre as a pedestrian..

Yes that's what I stated. I commute through the city mid-week on a bicycle & ride my motorbike to work on the weekend.

I don't know what your point is?.. The other poster stated that if I lived or worked in the city I'd notice the problem more, well I work in the city. I also lived in Sheriff Street & East Wall for almost ten years.

If someone is letting slow walkers annoy them then they've little to be worried about. Maybe leave for work, college, school or whatever a few minutes earlier to avoid the stresses of hurrying along?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I'm a stroller, as in I'm no particular rush because I give myself the plenty of time. The way I see it, when I get into work I'm engrossed by it for 7 and a half hours +, so I'm going to savour the little time I get outdoors.

That being said, I of course understand path etiquette. Little things by getting on at the furthest carriage from the station exit on a train.

If someone does find themselves behind me in a tight spot I'll try my best to move, but god help you if you're one of those **** who starts tutting behind me. :pac: At the end of the day, I plan my day around my circumstances, I don't see why others can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

DuffleBag wrote: »

If a job takes me 3 minutes to do, i don't do it in 8. I do it in 3.
    Likewise if it takes me 5 minutes to walk from place A to place B, why would I spend 10 minutes walking?

Ive just wasted 5 minutes walking the same distance when I could be using that time better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,966 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If a job takes me 3 minutes to do, i don't do it in 8. I do it in 3.
    Likewise if it takes me 5 minutes to walk from place A to place B, why would I spend 10 minutes walking?

Ive just wasted 5 minutes walking the same distance when I could be using that time better

There is no time wasted outside.

Seems like a lot of stressed out people here.

I dont think pedestrians are the root of their issues. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

FTW - Street Guru (part 1) from the album Prophesy by Nitin Sawhney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

on this topic , I just can't get my head around why people in Ireland queue for ATM machines directly behind each other.

In Dublin on really busy streets people will queue right behind each other. I have seen footpaths completely blocked off and lines of people cutting off decent sections of pedestrian areas around College Green, Grafton Street, O'Connell street.

QUEUE ALONG THE BLOODY WALL!! I do this and people seem confused and are not sure if I am waiting for the machine. I tell them I am but I do not want to block off the footpath, they look at me like it makes sense and do the same only for the next person to come along with he same looks of confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I don't mind slow walkers that are old or infirm of course, but the rush hour texter in a bottle neck needs to cop on, as do the three abreast crowd.

Jingle your keys in your pocket or walk right into to their personal space for a subconscious prompt to the inconsiderates.

The mid pavement bus waiter is another common baffling sight. Again, faintly brush your elbow against their jacket as you pass and something will stir even the most bovine parts of their brain and they'll step aside for all behind you.

As for tourists, I have some sympathy. Many a time have I realised I've been slowing the place up without meaning to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No problem that anyone strolls, but it's a polite and an awareness thing to think about your surroundings and others who might be in a hurry.

In rush hour morning and evening it's really the time to hang into the buildings side of the street, and let those who need to move fast get there fast.

I do this all the time, but then again I am just wonderful lol!

I have often shouted at morons stuck five abreast "hey, you might be on holidays but we aren't, so get out of my way". And they do. That's at peak times.

But at the end of the day the Capital is a tourist magnet, and sometimes we just have to accept that they are staring wondrous at all the city offers up to them, including people like me who let out the odd roar.

The pavements are far too narrow in many places anyway.

Maybe leave for work, college, school or whatever a few minutes earlier to avoid the stresses of hurrying along?.
    The fact that you keep repeating this suggests you don't understand the issue.

Maybe it doesn't matter how long it takes for you to do your work, but most of us are meeting deadlines, or have calls to return, or only a few minutes to grab lunch between meetings and skype calls. Often, we can't dawdle off for lunch and loiter at busy junctions on the way back.

Most people are busy, they don't have the time for that.

Maybe you also haven't noticed that Dublin's traffic is chaotic and public transport is unreliable, and the idea of getting into work 5 minutes early by leaving 5 minutes early is a joke. I might be ten minutes early, I might be ten minutes late, regardless of when I leave, by whatever route of transport or even on foot.

It sounds like you don't see the inside of the city centre at 8.30am on a rainy Monday morning like most workers in the city centre, and that you don't work in the same environment as many of us who work in the city during the day, so I respectfully suggest you're not grasping the situation.

Again, nobody suggests a totalitarian ban on mopers.

I and others are merely suggesting that people become better-aware of their surroundings, and not be so insular when using any part of the road.

The fact that you keep repeating this suggests you don't understand the issue.

Maybe it doesn't matter how long it takes for you to do your work, but most of us are meeting deadlines, or have calls to return, or only a few minutes to grab lunch between meetings and skype calls. Often, we can't dawdle off for lunch and loiter at busy junctions on the way back.

Most people are busy, they don't have the time for that.

Maybe you also haven't noticed that Dublin's traffic is chaotic and public transport is unreliable, and the idea of getting into work 5 minutes early by leaving 5 minutes early is a joke. I might be ten minutes early, I might be ten minutes late, regardless of when I leave, by whatever route of transport or even on foot.

It sounds like you don't see the inside of the city centre at 8.30am on a rainy Monday morning like most workers in the city centre, and that you don't work in the same environment as many of us who work in the city during the day, so I respectfully suggest you're not grasping the situation.

Again, nobody suggests a totalitarian ban on mopers.

I and others are merely suggesting that people become better-aware of their surroundings, and not be so insular when using any part of the road.

You seem very precious and uptight about yourself, maybe calm down a little and instead of leaving for work 5 minutes early try ten minutes early ~ you don't seem to understand this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

You seem very precious and uptight about yourself, maybe calm down a little and instead of leaving for work 5 minutes early try ten minutes early ~ you don't seem to understand this.

And what about the other end of the day? Leave work at the normal time, walk at a normal pace and get on a bus home.

Unless you get stuck behind a slow walker pack, and miss your bus or have to run to just make it. Miss the bus and have to wait an extra 30 minutes for another one, and maybe end up in heavier traffic. Now you're late for picking up the kids, you're tireder and hungrier getting home. And all because someone was unaware of their surroundings at RUSH HOUR and blocked up the footpath.

Let me be clear, people can't leave work earlier. And maybe there isn't an option to leave ten minutes earlier in the morning, it might be a minimum of 45 minutes earlier. It's quite clear you haven't a clue about the rush hour commutes.

I have no problem with tourists/random people walking slowly. I have a problem with them doing that and completely blocking the path at rush hour. There's give and take. All that's required is a little awareness of what's on around you and letting people by. It's a reasonable ask, and it's something that's commonplace in the rest of the world. Woe betide anyone who stands on the left of the escalators in tube stations.

You don't seem to understand courtesy. You may not be in a hurry, but our creaking and drastically under-sized public transport network means that other people are. Stroll along if you want, but don't hold up people who really need to get past.

Turtle_ wrote: »
    And what about the other end of the day? Leave work at the normal time, walk at a normal pace and get on a bus home.

Unless you get stuck behind a slow walker pack, and miss your bus or have to run to just make it. Miss the bus and have to wait an extra 30 minutes for another one, and maybe end up in heavier traffic. Now you're late for picking up the kids, you're tireder and hungrier getting home. And all because someone was unaware of their surroundings at RUSH HOUR and blocked up the footpath.

Let me be clear, people can't leave work earlier. And maybe there isn't an option to leave ten minutes earlier in the morning, it might be a minimum of 45 minutes earlier. It's quite clear you haven't a clue about the rush hour commutes.

I have no problem with tourists/random people walking slowly. I have a problem with them doing that and completely blocking the path at rush hour. There's give and take. All that's required is a little awareness of what's on around you and letting people by. It's a reasonable ask, and it's something that's commonplace in the rest of the world. Woe betide anyone who stands on the left of the escalators in tube stations.

You don't seem to understand courtesy. You may not be in a hurry, but our creaking and drastically under-sized public transport network means that other people are. Stroll along if you want, but don't hold up people who really need to get past.

With a username like 'Turtle' I can't take this post serious.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Yes that's what I stated. I commute through the city mid-week on a bicycle & ride my motorbike to work on the weekend.

I don't know what your point is?.. The other poster stated that if I lived or worked in the city I'd notice the problem more, well I work in the city. I also lived in Sheriff Street & East Wall for almost ten years.

If someone is letting slow walkers annoy them then they've little to be worried about. Maybe leave for work, college, school or whatever a few minutes earlier to avoid the stresses of hurrying along?.

Doesnt annoy me. Loud "excuse me!" and bump past without slowing down.

Advertisement