Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The slow walker scourge. Something must be done.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i dont care where they're from, i dont discriminate like that, but people ambling along 2 or 3 a-breast is very annoyying. also applies to shopping centers when i just wanna get to tesco but have to dodge and weave and sidestep like a boxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

With a username like 'Turtle' I can't take this post serious.

Instead of admitting that the poster has made some good points, you go with this reply. Embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Instead of admitting that the poster has made some good points, you go with this reply. Embarrassing.

I barely care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Nassau st sucks alright, I pretty much work on it. I cycle every day but sometimes if I'm going to pub with a colleague after work, I'd wheel my bike along to whatever pub we're going to and it's an absolute nightmare!
    Still, if you think it's bad in Dublin, and it's really confined to only a couple of streets, try London, or any other metropolis, at rush hour. It's like an ant farm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I barely care.

Scuse me! Bump ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You don't know who is "infirm." I get so much of the "bu you don't look sick" stuff and I don't- but I can't walk quickly due to MS. But obviously the OP is right, we should all just shove in against the wall to let them pass or better still not go into the city at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

You don't know who is "infirm." I get so much of the "bu you don't look sick" stuff and I don't- but I can't walk quickly due to MS. But obviously the OP is right, we should all just shove in against the wall to let them pass or better still not go into the city at all.

That's not what's being got at here at all. It's people who, at rush hour, walk very slowly and often several abreast, refusing to move in a little bit to allow others to pass. If I'm moving slowly I move in when someone comes up fast behind me. It's just courtesy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I reckon most of the posters going "Ah sure lookit..relax" would be leaning on their horns sharpish if they encountered this sort of idiocy from another motorist while they crawling along in heavy traffic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Cyril T Squirrel

Cattle prods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Don't forget the mass exodus onto the footpath from the language schools at lunch.

Like its a feckin' common room or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Bambi wrote: »
    I reckon most of the posters going "Ah sure lookit..relax" would be leaning on their horns sharpish if they encountered this sort of idiocy from another motorist while they crawling along in heavy traffic

Are we still talking about Dublin city or are we in Manhattan, 'cause this happens in one and not the other ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Bambi wrote: »

What on earth makes you think that? You seem to be assuming that they will become just as self important and impatient as you and the OP once they get in their car. Maybe that's true, but it is more reasonable to assume that people with a bit of patience on foot will also be capable of getting around without becoming enraged when in their cars.

However assuming that all you people complaining are the same sort of people who start leaning on their horn when the cars in front of them don't move quickly enough would be a logical assumption to make.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Love's young bloody dream holding hands two abreast whilst walking slowly down a narrow pavement.

Just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,232 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The person walking slowly on a footpath, wide enough for two people, who starts to drift, a little bit left, you think you can overtake on right, but No! (murray walker voice) they are now drifting right... like they are trying very slowly to put off an imaginary sniper...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

People that stop suddenly when you are walking behind them are the worst. The absolute worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Women with prams slowly walking three abreast on a path who look at you as if you're the one being rude when you try to get around them.

People that stop suddenly when you are walking behind them are the worst. The absolute worst.

People who stop at the top of escalators!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

To add to our list of outrages, I don't understand the ones who walk against the flow of pedestrian traffic. There'll be a big line of people passing each other on each side, and there is always one who decides to walk against the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Street furniture corrals pedestrians so the the slowest walkers dictate the pace of everyone else.

Pavement seating and tables outside of everywhere.
    Then putting billboards beside these eating/smoking areas.
    Then putting bicycle racks beside the billboards.

There remains only the tiniest sliver of pavement for the throngs of pedestrians.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

When are these LUAS "upgrades" supposed to be finished anyway ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

When are these LUAS "upgrades" supposed to be finished anyway ?

The connecting line and new stops are supposed to be open late 2017 last I heard. But I imagine the building work will be done much sooner, there will be a lot of testing on the actual track before they have any trams carrying passengers run on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I have no problem with people strolling around the city, I often do it myself when I have the time. But what I hate is when people congregate across a footpath and don't move out of your way. This happens with parents with buggies, tourists, groups of people on the razz and even the odd group of business people heading to a meeting. I think the English language students are the worst though, like even when you say excuse me they often won't move and you have to bark at them to get them to actually get out of your way.

But this is the cost of living and working in a busy city.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IMO some people just have no concept of others around them. They exist in a little bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Everyone walks slow at some point or another. Absolutely everyone. Yes, even you, OP!

My experience of people who complain about slow-walkers is that it seems to fine if they do it. ;)

Yes, people checking their phones and walking slowly are oblivious and annoying. But there are many reasons why a person might be walking slow and at a bottleneck, that can cause a backlog. I'm a (relatively) chung wan who outwardly looks healthy but in reality has serious health problems. You'd probably be seething at me walking slowly ahead of you because I look fine.

One of my pet hates - people who complain about slow-walkers. In any group of people, there will be a small number of slow-walkers. And sometimes that slow walker is a slow-walker complainer.
    QUEUE ALONG THE BLOODY WALL!

I've tried. If you queue by the wall, randomer passers-by don't seem to notice you and walk right up to the ATM and start using it if the last users is walking away. I just cut through the ATM queue if I'm walking past. No biggie.
    Turtle_ wrote: »
    That's not what's being got at here at all. It's people who, at rush hour, walk very slowly and often several abreast, refusing to move in a little bit to allow others to pass.

Everyone has done this at one point or another. I know I'll meet protestations here but if you're with a group of friends chatting, you can much more easily become oblivious to your surroundings. I have literally observed friends of mine who complain about slow-walkers doing just this.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnRock

they always find me when I'm in a rush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

The banks should paint lines along the walls with "ATM QUEUE" written in them.

I've tried. If you queue by the wall, randomer passers-by don't seem to notice you and walk right up to the ATM and start using it if the last users is walking away. I just cut through the ATM queue if I'm walking past. No biggie.

Really? You squeeze between people standing face to back to get by? no hassle if you have shopping or bags or whatever right?

I find the vast majority of people choose not to play British Bulldog when walking through town and force their way through a line of people, the vast majority if not everyone i have seen end up walking around them, causing bottle necks. I have seen people queuing for ATM's backing out on to Luas tracks. So say this is no biggie is a bit ridiculous.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Really? You squeeze between people standing face to back to get by? no hassle if you have shopping or bags or whatever right?

I find the vast majority of people choose not to play British Bulldog when walking through town and force their way through a line of people, the vast majority if not everyone i have seen end up walking around them, causing bottle necks. I have seen people queuing for ATM's backing out on to Luas tracks. So say this is no biggie is a bit ridiculous.

"Excuse me, please" works wonders.

I am sure it does but most people just walk around because they don't want to have to ask someone to move out of their way. When in fact they should not have to.
    It makes no sense to queue out blocking off a footpath, while queuing along a wall would cause no hindrance to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

miamee wrote: »

Actually, it doesn't, since a lot of people who wander along in their own self-entitled little world don't hear it.

I remember hearing a few years ago that American walking speeds had halved since the 1940s. I assume it's because they drive everywhere.

Advertisement