Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The slow walker scourge. Something must be done.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Chuchote wrote: »
    Actually, it doesn't, since a lot of people who wander along in their own self-entitled little world don't hear it.

I remember hearing a few years ago that American walking speeds had halved since the 1940s. I assume it's because they drive everywhere.

You're right, it doesn't.

So I have a scale of politeness:

1. Excuse me, may I pass please ?
    2. Excuse me ? (Louder)
    3. SHOVE

Walking down Eustace St by the Quaker building is a nightmare.

Tiny pavements and just in the last two days I've had to put up with:

Prams
    Strollers the size of Cavan
    Love's Young Dream goo goo eyeing it and holding hands
    Waves of tourists photographing EVERYTHING!!
    Cyclists on pavement

Slow walkers add to that and it's not funny!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Walking down Eustace St by the Quaker building is a nightmare.

Tiny pavements and just in the last two days I've had to put up with:

Prams
    Strollers the size of Cavan
    Love's Young Dream goo goo eyeing it and holding hands
    Waves of tourists photographing EVERYTHING!!
    Cyclists on pavement

Slow walkers add to that and it's not funny!!

Hold them in the light ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You're right, it doesn't.

So I have a scale of politeness:

1. Excuse me, may I pass please ?
    2. Excuse me ? (Louder)
    3. SHOVE

1. I'm a slow walker.

2. Mostly I'm listening to Ramstein, Slayer, Slip Knot etc so I won't hear you.

3. In a million years you'll never shove harder than I can throw :D

1. I'm a slow walker.

2. Mostly I'm listening to Ramstein, Slayer, Slip Knot etc so I won't hear you.

3. In a million years you'll never shove harder than I can throw :D

1. Got that.
    2. Figures
    3. Keep telling yourself that cupcake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Chuchote wrote: »
    Actually, it doesn't, since a lot of people who wander along in their own self-entitled little world don't hear it.

I remember hearing a few years ago that American walking speeds had halved since the 1940s. I assume it's because they drive everywhere.

Well that's because they've gotten twice as fat, but my gawwwd how far up yer own arse do you have to be, that this gets your goat!? Ye must all be able to lick your own tonsils! :D

I just can't wrap my head around getting annoyed at that - I know someone who's biggest pet peeve is old people on the footpath in front of her. And that was before she moved to Dublin, so I'm guessing it either killed the cranky mare or cured her..

The last place I worked was in a town and got crowded at lunch on the way to shops or whatever, loads of people in their own worlds but it never occurred to me that it was this annoying. Relax lads :D

I'm slowest at everything I do :/

I was probably slowest in class lol.

After Judo practice I'm slowest off the mats & slowest getting my sh*t together.

When I fight (competition) I'm a slow starter and mostly lose my first fight (although the last 18 months I've won national titles at +100kg twice, go me :p ).

When I cycle I go slower than most, and on my motorbike I rarely ride above 100kph even on the motorways.

I even jog slow, in fact I think I can walk faster than I jog sometimes lol.

You all need to chill the fook out, slow down and enjoy life at a slower pace ~ its nice :)

I'm slowest at everything I do :/

I was probably slowest in class lol.

After Judo practice I'm slowest off the mats & slowest getting my sh*t together.

When I fight (competition) I'm a slow starter and mostly lose my first fight (although the last 18 months I've won national titles at +100kg twice, go me :p ).

When I cycle I go slower than most, and on my motorbike I rarely ride above 100kph even on the motorways.

I even jog slow, in fact I think I can walk faster than I jog sometimes lol.

You all need to chill the fook out, slow down and enjoy life at a slower pace ~ its nice :)

Hello from the real world... **waves**

Sure, after travelling to work for two hours I'll just stroll on up to work, stopping to smell what passes for roses in Dublin inner city.

Piss and vomit mainly.

I'll just tell the boss I missed the meeting because I was chilling.

See you down the labour exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

When you are approaching a junction and there's a green man .... But you end up missing your chance to cross the road because of slow people walking 2 or 3 abreast and blocking up the whole path. I'd love to have as much time in my day as some people obviously do!

Hello from the real world... **waves**...

See you down the labour exchange.

***Waves back*** ~ that's not my real world, I've never been unemployed a day in my life. Enjoy life on the scratcher.

You seem very worked up, like everything needs to be done in double quick time. Learn to slow down. Maybe take up a sport, or join a gym to work out that stress.

I coach & compete Judo, I find martial arts great for stress relief. I love cycling & swimming too. I don't suffer stress.

Even working two jobs, I've a full time job and work on a nightclub door in Templebar at the weekend and still I won't let people stress me.

Anyway, just a few idea's for you. Calm down.

• Advertisement

***Waves back*** ~ that's not my real world, I've never been unemployed a day in my life. Enjoy life on the scratcher.

You seem very worked up, like everything needs to be done in double quick time. Learn to slow down. Maybe take up a sport, or join a gym to work out that stress.

I coach & compete Judo, I find martial arts great for stress relief. I love cycling & swimming too. I don't suffer stress.

Even working two jobs, I've a full time job and work on a nightclub door in Templebar at the weekend and still I won't let people stress me.

Anyway, just a few idea's for you. Calm down.

But when do you have time to see friends ... oh wait, silly me!!

But when do you have time to see friends ... oh wait, silly me!!

Friends, oh they're fighters too. There's some craic there I'll tell ya.

But hey, I'm out of here. You're too easily wound up, and now I'm bored with you.

Seriously, chill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,259 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The thing is, if I'm walking the whole way to work, and I'm held up by 30 seconds by a slow walker at a pinch-point, I get to my desk 30 seconds later.
    If I'm walking to get a bus, those 30 seconds could mean I get to where I need to be 30 minutes later.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The thing is, if I'm walking the whole way to work, and I'm held up by 30 seconds by a slow walker at a pinch-point, I get to my desk 30 seconds later.
    If I'm walking to get a bus, those 30 seconds could mean I get to where I need to be 30 minutes later.

Leave 20 mins earlier to get the bus as an insurance. Worst case scenario you're at your desk earlier... god forbid. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Leave 20 mins earlier to get the bus as an insurance. Worst case scenario you're at your desk earlier... god forbid. :rolleyes:

Does'nt matter what time you leave at, or whether you're on time or not, you've still lost 30 minutes of your day.

I find civil servants tend to have a different internal clock to the rest of us :D

Bambi wrote: »
    Does'nt matter what time you leave at, or whether you're on time or not, you've still lost 30 minutes of your day.

I find civil servants tend to have a different internal clock to the rest of us :D

Leave earlier ?!!

Hahahahhahahaha!!!!! Love the public sector logic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I walk a good bit from our offices in Merrion Square to Dame Street for meetings - I've pretty much given up with Nassau Street and instead I'll divert through the grounds of Trinity - in at the Dental Hospital gate, out through the main gate. Generally works grand, but can still be a bit of a bottle neck at the main gate, where the odd fool with stand there, blocking access for everyone else. It also is not helped by Trinity not opening the gate fully.

That's the problem. A lot of people (most?) have a job that finishes at quitting time. I'm sure all of us would love to leave work 20 mins early!

Being aware of your surroundings is being alert and considerate. If you are a slow walker, just walk along the side of buildings so you don't block the path.

If you're walking slowly bc you're on the phone, seriously, just step in to the side of the path and finish sending the text rather than obstructing the way for others

Bambi wrote: »

Leave earlier ?!!

Hahahahhahahaha!!!!! Love the public sector logic!!

I work in the private sector, but dont let me get in the way of your assumptions
    cactusgal wrote: »
    That's the problem. A lot of people (most?) have a job that finishes at quitting time. I'm sure all of us would love to leave work 20 mins early!

I never said anything about leaving work 20 mins earlier. :confused:

Maybe i'm of a different mindset but an extra 20 mins out of 24 hours isnt going to put me up nor down. I was just putting the thought there for people who are looking to be exactly on time for buses, thus someone walking slow and causing them to be delayed 30 seconds makes them miss a bus.

Leave earlier in the morn and be relaxed going for your bus knowing you'll make it :)

I work in the private sector, but dont let me get in the way of your assumptions

I never said anything about leaving work 20 mins earlier. :confused:

Maybe i'm of a different mindset but an extra 20 mins out of 24 hours isnt going to put me up nor down. I was just putting the thought there for people who are looking to be exactly on time for buses, thus someone walking slow and causing them to be delayed 30 seconds makes them miss a bus.

Leave earlier in the morn and be relaxed going for your bus knowing you'll make it :)

I think the two sides are diametrically opposed!

In my view, people should be aware of their surroundings, be considerate, and share the footpaths as best we can.

In your view, I (and people like me) should "leave earlier" (clock out from work early? Leave the kids outside creche or school in the morning so I can leave the house earlier so as not to be slowed down?)

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

how about using a cattle prod?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

People saying "just slow down yourself" or "just leave earlier" are missing the point. Most of us are fully understanding if the slow walker in front of us is elderly or infirm or on crutches or leading small children or carrying a heavy box or whatever. It's the people with all the awareness of a potato that irritate us. The ones who walk four-abreast and will not move in, especially when they all have suitcases/prams/shopping trolleys. The ones who are scrolling on their phones and slow to a crawl, weaving back and forth. The ones who stop dead right in front of you on a busy, narrow path to look for something in their bag/ take photos/ turn around and wait for their friend who was a few metres behind them etc. The ones who block up pedestrian crossings cause they're having a chat with someone/ taking photos/looking at their phone. Do all that, but not in the middle of a stream of people! Move in out of the way first!

Dublin is just so bad for it at the moment because of all the works. There are places where we're currently trying to squeeze two paths full of people onto one, which is also narrower than usual. It'd be a bottleneck even if everyone maintained a steady pace. Two or three groups of the above and you've missed your bus/tram. Not to mention it's just infuriating when you encounter five of them on one walk!

Ah no i get what you're saying my view was maybe the extreme, as was yours (ie that because you have kids to drop at the creche or a box and thus you're running to a short timeline they should be more aware for you)

There's a happy medium there where we should all be :D But such is life.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

jrby wrote: »
    how about using a cattle prod?

Umbrellas can also serve this purpose though maybe not as well as the prod :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

miamee wrote: »
    Umbrellas can also serve this purpose though maybe not as well as the prod :D

Depends where you prod it :D

Seriously, tough sh*t!.. And I'm not being an ass, but leave earlier.

I always give myself plenty of time to reach a destination, and 99% of the time it works and I arrive stress free.

Twenty four hours of the day is given to us equally, learn to us it and relax.

Someone said that slow walkers should walk in by the side of the footpaths LOL :D ~ get a life, we'll walk were we want!.. Besides the sides of the footpaths are full with bus ques on one side and beggars & chuggers by the walls, so I'm slauntering down the middle ~ rather like a big ol' tractor blocking the country roads and a line of boy racers and sales men in a hurry no where fast :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,259 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I always give myself plenty of time to reach a destination, and 99% of the time it works and I arrive stress free.

Some of us aren't blessed with the stress free life you seem to have, who can come and go at whatever time you please. Though it's good to know some people at least are managing to dodge these obstacles, but not all of us are so fortunate.
    But, there are some jobs where you can't leave your desk until a certain time, or need to be at your desk at a certain time - and then you are at the mercy of public transport schedulers and rush hour services.
    And no, leaving earlier doesn't help, because you could be early for the DART or Bus, only for it to be delayed / full / vanished into black hole.
    And then you are in a rush - through absolutely no fault of your own, despite leaving ample time to get to where you need to be - and yep, that's when slow walkers are annoying.
    In conclusion, you are approaching "being an ass" territory as far as I'm concerned - or, at least smugness territory, which I'm not sure is what you intended.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

In conclusion, you are approaching "being an ass" territory as far as I'm concerned - or, at least smugness territory, which I'm not sure is what you intended.

Well yes I'm fairly comfortable, but not smug. I know others can't or don't manage their time but as I said time is given equally to us all its just a matter of learning to use it to your advantage.

I used to charge around like a crazy bastard, it was idiocy and I wish I'd listened to older wiser heads ten years before I did. It would have saved me my twenties and thirties up the walls with stress.

But the way people are talking in this thread one would swear they're living an episode of The Living Dead every time they venture out the door.

Btw if people are REALLY stressed by walking there's always the Dublin Bikes option. I've used them lots of time, brilliant idea and you avoid the crowds.

Twenty four hours of the day is given to us equally, learn to us it and relax.

Someone said that slow walkers should walk in by the side of the footpaths LOL :D ~ get a life, we'll walk were we want!.. Besides the sides of the footpaths are full with bus ques on one side and beggars & chuggers by the walls, so I'm slauntering down the middle ~ rather like a big ol' tractor blocking the country roads and a line of boy racers and sales men in a hurry no where fast :pac:

I love how worked up you're getting telling other people to relax! Too funny :D

• Advertisement

cactusgal wrote: »
    I love how worked up you're getting telling other people to relax! Too funny :D

Feeling a bit torny Miss Cactus?.

Nah, I'm really not worked up. Some things get me worked up, boards.ie certainly isn't one of them.

We've people here talking about shoving people out of their way, someone else suggesting using a brolly as a prod.. All very well until you come across someone who has the skills or temperament not to take your shove, or the prod of a brolly ~ and you think I'm the one getting worked up lol.

Seriously if someone shoved me, or prodded me with anything because I was in their way they'd be having a very bad day very quickly.

I was actually thinking about this thread last night, why do people who are in a hurry (or fast walkers) have such a strong sense of entitlement to own the pavements?.

So the Dublin Bikes scheme, no one thought of that as an option as a way of getting through Dublin's bustling streets of zombie dead walkers?.

Dublin Bikes?, any takers?.

Advertisement