Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The slow walker scourge. Something must be done.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,233 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So the Dublin Bikes scheme, no one thought of that as an option as a way of getting through Dublin's bustling streets of zombie dead walkers?.Dublin Bikes?, any takers?.

Not much use on a Dublin Bus or DART is it though?
    You can hardly take a Dublin Bike home to Clongriffin or Clontarf.
    I don't think this advice is going to be helpful to people who are dependent on rush hour public transport somehow.
    You may have found a stress free life, but I'm not seeing much empathy for anybody else's predicament in the city - maybe that's part achieving a state a Zen!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Clearly the comments about prodding people were said in jest :rolleyes:

Dublin Bike isn't an option for everyone. I used to cycle to work when I lived closer, but that was a handy cycle lane down the canal. Cycling around the city centre is a different ball game. It's pretty terrifying even to some seasoned cyclists. Narrow streets, big busses, bad drivers...no thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Dublin Bike isn't an option for everyone. I used to cycle to work when I lived closer, but that was a handy cycle lane down the canal. Cycling around the city centre is a different ball game. It's pretty terrifying even to some seasoned cyclists. Narrow streets, big busses, bad drivers...no thanks.

I still don't understand why the ****ers cycle on a pavement when there's a perfectly good road centimetres away!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

100%, I was the one that said it about the prod, ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Not much use on a Dublin Bus or DART is it though?
    You can hardly take a Dublin Bike home to Clongriffin or Clontarf.
    I don't think this advice is going to be helpful to people who are dependent on rush hour public transport somehow.
    You may have found a stress free life, but I'm not seeing much empathy for anybody else's predicament in the city - maybe that's part achieving a state a Zen!

Yes I know the prodding was in jest but it shows a level of anger in the poster.

The Dublin Bikes was a suggestion, I think two people here lamented the fact that they've to get to meetings in the city and pedestrian traffic slows them down so I was pointing out that these bikes were an option.

If making a bus on time is such hard work then I've really no other suggestions or idea except to say to use your time better.

Ok some people can't get away from their desks until a certain hour and might miss a bus, thats an issue for Dublin Bus not providing more services than people who walk slower.

I'm really at a loss to feel any sympathy for anyone who is annoyed at people who walk slow, honestly.

Zen. I'm not sure I've reached that yet, but my life is purposely far less stressful than it used to be. Maybe making healthy life style choices has made my own life less stressful.

Anyway, things to do and all that so I'll push on :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I suggested the prodding of a brolly - also a joke in response to the one about the cattle prod.

From what I am reading so far, people who want to walk slowly can walk as slow as they like but people who want to walk at a different (faster) pace are silly stressheads who can't manage their own time properly and need to make changes to their life? A bit much really. There is plenty of space for everyone aside from a few busy points where we can all only go as fast or as slow as the crowd.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'd like to personally call out the lovely woman down George St at 5:05pm near Pitt Bros. Stream of people walking a good pace and then these 2 women almost at a standstill taking photos of themselves in the middle of the footpath.

Cue one of them immediately sidestep across the footpath, so fast I didn't notice it happening, then I just knock her over as I was unable to stop myself at that point.

No apologies, just an angry stern stare at me. Of course I apologized but I was kicking myself afterwards on the way to the bus. I'm so soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

As a fast walker regardless of destination and purpose (sometimes I'm rushing for the DART, sometimes I'm just walking at a brisker pace than most), I understand the issue perfect - the constant weaving through slower, three-abreast people and whatnot. However I only really have issues with one category of "slow movers": it's not the tourists, which are of course sightseeing (and most times trying to figure out where to go); It's not the old lady with her shopping trolley bag; It's the smartphone staring, Beats wearing zombies that drive me nuts.

Seriously, what are you people doing that's so important to forego watching where the heck they are going, if the "man" on the light is red or green, and if that bus is going to hit them or not? You can reply to that email from home in 10 minutes, your friend Berta's cake pictures are gonna still be there and if somebody beats your Candy Crush score it's no big deal, ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

As a fast walker regardless of destination and purpose (sometimes I'm rushing for the DART, sometimes I'm just walking at a brisker pace than most), I understand the issue perfectly - the constant weaving through slower, three-abreast people and whatnot. However I only really have issues with one category of "slow movers": it's not the tourists, which are of course sightseeing (and most times trying to figure out where to go); It's not the old lady with her shopping trolley bag; It's the smartphone staring, Beats wearing zombies that drive me nuts.

Seriously, what are these people doing that's so important to forego watching where the heck they are going, if the "man" on the light is red or green, and if that bus is going to hit them or not? You can reply to that email from home in 10 minutes, your friend Berta's cake pictures are gonna still be there and if somebody beats your Candy Crush score it's no big deal, ffs...

Quite frankly, if you are walking so slow that a fat, middle aged bird with a bad leg (moi) is trying to walk past you - THAT'S TOO SLOW!!!!

• Advertisement

This seems rather appropriate timing... Ita O'Kelly in today's Irish Independent:
    "Tourists: please pack up your wheelie cases and go home - I want my city back"

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/tourists-please-pack-up-your-wheelie-cases-and-go-home-i-want-my-city-back-35222456.html

odyssey06 wrote: »
    This seems rather appropriate timing... Ita O'Kelly in today's Irish Independent:
    "Tourists: please pack up your wheelie cases and go home - I want my city back"

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/tourists-please-pack-up-your-wheelie-cases-and-go-home-i-want-my-city-back-35222456.html

+1

Couldn't agree more!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

-1 terrible article. Sounds like it was written by a spoiled brat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I still don't understand why the ****ers cycle on a pavement when there's a perfectly good road centimetres away!

It's because the roads in the city center have evolved to accommodate motorized traffic, so you have lots of one way streets, no right / left turns etc.

Nassau Street is one way, so if you're heading west (towards Grafton Street), you've got a pretty convoluted route by bicycle. Not unusual to see people walking bikes along the footpath here towards Dame Street direction. A few more contraflows are urgently needed to accommodate cycling in the city center.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    It's because the roads in the city center have evolved to accommodate motorized traffic, so you have lots of one way streets, no right / left turns etc.

Nassau Street is one way, so if you're heading west (towards Grafton Street), you've got a pretty convoluted route by bicycle. Not unusual to see people walking bikes along the footpath here towards Dame Street direction. A few more contraflows are urgently needed to accommodate cycling in the city center.

Heard that before - but it doesn't excuse having the legs torn off you by some knob on a bike.

What's needed is for cyclists to obey the rules. They do apply to them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Heard that before - but it doesn't excuse having the legs torn off you by some knob on a bike.

And then there's the rickshaws on the footpaths ... Don't get me started on those guys!!

cactusgal wrote: »
    And then there's the rickshaws on the footpaths ... Don't get me started on those guys!!

Those Deliveroo guys are gonna kill someone one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

There is no rule in place stopping a cyclist cycling on a footpath though.

RosieJoe wrote: »

But why choose a tiny one abreast pavement and try to weave in an out of people when there's a road ?

Because all the cyclists I see are gbo****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Fairly sure you're wrong there

21/25

• Advertisement

I think there is:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/cycling_offences.html

When cycling you must obey the rules set out in the Road Traffic Acts and Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations 1997-2014.

Article 13 of the 1997 Regulations makes it an offence to cycle on a footpath unless you are entering or exiting a property. Under Article 45 of the 1997 Regulations (as amended by the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) Regulations 1998), you must not cycle in a pedestrianised street or area during the period indicated on the information plate accompanying the pedestrianised street or area traffic sign, unless you are cycling on a cycle lane.
    Like other road users, cyclists must obey the rules applying to traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, zebra crossings and cycle traffic lights. You must stop at stop signs and yield right of way at yield signs.

If you have information to the contrary, please post it - there may be some confusion as it is not one of the cycling offences covered by a fixed penalty notice, but that does not mean there is no rule covering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Was just going to post the same thing

21/25

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cyclists-face-on-the-spot-fines-for-seven-road-traffic-offences-1.2270816

Offences now the subject of €40 fines are:
    1. Cyclist driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration.
    2. No front lamp or rear lamp lit during lighting-up hours on a pedal cycle.
    3. Cyclist proceeding into a pedestrianised street or area.
    4 . Cyclist proceeding past traffic lights when the red lamp is illuminated.
    5. Cyclist proceeding past cycle traffic lights when red lamp is lit.
    6. Cyclist failing to stop for a School Warden sign.
    7. Cyclist proceeding beyond a stop line, barrier or half barrier at a railway level crossing, swing bridge or lifting bridge, when the red lamps are flashing.

Incidentally, I do not go a day in Dublin without seeing at least the first five.

There are rules but the majority of cyclists on my walk to the station to/from work seem to disregard them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

"Article 13 of the 1997 Regulations makes it an offence to cycle on a footpath unless you are entering or exiting a property."

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/cycling_offences.html

uch wrote: »
    Fairly sure you're wrong there

Actually you are right, new legislation last year meant it was not part of the Fixed Charge Penalties

Rules are:
    - Article 13 of the 1997 Regulations makes it an offence to cycle on a footpath unless you are entering or exiting a property.

- Under Article 45 of the 1997 Regulations (as amended by the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) Regulations 1998), you must not cycle in a pedestrianised street or area during the period indicated on the information plate accompanying the pedestrianised street or area traffic sign, unless you are cycling on a cycle lane.

Penalty is applied to:
    - Cycling in a pedestrianised street or area

In the few minutes I spent working and looking for the info I needed I was proven wrong several times. It's like having an argument with my wife :D

Actually you are right, new legislation last year meant it was not part of the Fixed Charge Penalties

Rules are:
    - Article 13 of the 1997 Regulations makes it an offence to cycle on a footpath unless you are entering or exiting a property.

- Under Article 45 of the 1997 Regulations (as amended by the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) Regulations 1998), you must not cycle in a pedestrianised street or area during the period indicated on the information plate accompanying the pedestrianised street or area traffic sign, unless you are cycling on a cycle lane.

Penalty is applied to:
    - Cycling in a pedestrianised street or area

Doesn't mean it's right, it's a d**khead move and shows a lack of courtesy and an "I'll do whatever I want" attitude.

In the few minutes I spent working and looking for the info I needed I was proven wrong several times. It's like having an argument with my wife :D

Brave man saying that lol!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Brave man saying that lol!!!!

Brave man called Rosie at that

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    Brave man called Rosie at that

:P

Advertisement