Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The slow walker scourge. Something must be done.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The only pedestrians who annoy me are the fools who walk on the clearly marked CYCLE path on Chesterfield Ave in the Phoenix Park and other cycle lanes like the one at Fairview Park, the Finglas N2 road and others like them.

I'm not a fan of cycle paths painted into footpaths but where they are then pedestrians should really keep out of them for everyone's safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The only pedestrians who annoy me are the fools who walk on the clearly marked CYCLE path on Chesterfield Ave in the Phoenix Park and other cycle lanes like the one at Fairview Park, the Finglas N2 road and others like them.

I'm not a fan of cycle paths painted into footpaths but where they are then pedestrians should really keep out of them for everyone's safety.

Cycle slower, slower than the pedestrians, take in the sights. In a hurry? Leave earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭TepinTheGreat

Walking while typing on a Smartphone should be made an offence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Birneybau wrote: »
    Cycle slower, slower than the pedestrians, take in the sights. In a hurry? Leave earlier.

+1

Sometimes it is necessary to step onto Cycle paths just as it is necessary to cross the road. A cycle path does not give a cyclist the right to steamroll over people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Oh I train there, you know training?.. Its like, you get off the internet and engage in physical activity.

Oh I train there, you know training?.. Its like, you get off the internet and engage in physical activity.
    Not necessarily. I see many people walking or jogging whilst surfing on their smartphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Sometimes it is necessary to step onto Cycle paths just as it is necessary to cross the road. A cycle path does not give a cyclist the right to steamroll over people.

Just as it is necessary to cross the roads sometimes - so the pedestrian needs to look for traffic and cross promptly, not drift along the road ignoring other traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I think you've mentioned it once or twice, boring big boy.

RainyDay wrote: »

Just as it is necessary to cross the roads sometimes - so the pedestrian needs to look for traffic and cross promptly, not drift along the road ignoring other traffic.
    And cars need to watch out for pedestrians who are crossing over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I work where there are designated pedestrian crossings with no lights, we automatically have right of way and cars must stop. For me to get to my car parking space I cross two. Carrying laptop and documents I try to get across asap.

The problem with this is it that you automatically assume same happens elsewhere. Was in Blanchardstown Centre and just stepped onto crossing on red light. My mam had to grab me back!

Anyway my pet hate is people looking at an ATM... Then looking for card...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

And what about Grafton st, which now hosts footballing tricksters and chalk writers. Try get past Bewleys while they are "performing". Who stands around looking at some lad lying on his back balancing a ball?
    They are more suited to Mary st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

And what about Grafton st, which now hosts footballing tricksters and chalk writers. Try get past Bewleys while they are "performing". Who stands around looking at some lad lying on his back balancing a ball?

More suited to nowhere at all...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

No, they're more suited to the bottom of the Liffey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

There's a simple solution to the problem in this thread. Dublin should instal loudspeakers on every street corner and play loud marching music, like one of the Communist countries of the 1930s-50s.
    Step together! Proudly tread,
    Firm each foot, erect each head;
    Fixed in front be every glance,
    Forward at the word, "Advance!"
    Serried files that foes may dread,
    Like the deer on mountain heather
    Tread light,
    Left, right,
    Steady, boys and step together! ♫♪♫

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

And how do you expect people to get to their cars if they can't walk across the cycle path in the phoenix park?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

And how do you expect people to get to their cars if they can't walk across the cycle path in the phoenix park?

There's a difference between crossing the cycle path when the way is clear and ambling up a dedicated cycle path two or three abreast. There's a footpath by the trees for that.

P_1 wrote: »
    There's a difference between crossing the cycle path when the way is clear and ambling up a dedicated cycle path two or three abreast. There's a footpath by the trees for that.

And the footpath is usually flooded in the winter but nobody when walking should be doing 3 abreast on a cycle lane.

In the summer the path is great for walking on and also running.

Its a stupid setup in the park, they made an arse of it and I don't see them fixing it.

And the footpath is usually flooded in the winter but nobody when walking should be doing 3 abreast on a cycle lane.

In the summer the path is great for walking on and also running.

Its a stupid setup in the park, they made an arse of it and I don't see them fixing it.

Oh I agree it's an idiotic setup. It's mainly for that reason that I avoid Chesterfield Avenue like the plague. Plus the Khyber Road is so much more fun :cool:

P_1 wrote: »
    Oh I agree it's an idiotic setup. It's mainly for that reason that I avoid Chesterfield Avenue like the plague. Plus the Khyber Road is so much more fun :cool:

The kyber roller coaster.

Bikes flying down the walking side and walkers and runners going down the bike side!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The kyber roller coaster.

Bikes flying down the walking side and walkers and runners going down the bike side!!:rolleyes:

Never had that problem, then again I usually go up it and down the singletrack just beside it ;)

Advertisement